Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You need to add $20 every 90 days to keep the phone active. However if you have it billed automatically to a credit card, it is only $15 every 90 days. That money rolls over indefinitely, but you are charged 20 cents a minute for phone use.

I use the phone so little that I accumulated a $250 credit. I used that credit to buy a smartphone from Virgin and then resold it unopened on eBay for a small profit. So, my actual cost has been less than $5 a month.

I just carry the phone for emergencies. If you talk a lot this wouldn't be for you.
Ok thanks. Just making sure I wasn't overpaying on virgin mobile for my unlimited data and 300 minutes talk time.

We finally bought a t-mobile prepaid for DW to have a very infrequent use cell phone. $10 per year now with the gold rewards plan (after the initial $115 or so to buy the phone and the discounted $100 airtime card).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did some research and found out the upgrade was essentially free from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 (well assuming I'd continue paying a monthly bill for a smart phone anyways, whether it were iPhone or not)

- We can sell our two iPhones for $400 to Ebay Instant Sale - iPhone 4
- Purchase two iPhone 5's = $398
- Data plan and texting stays Unlimited (grandfathered in at AT&T)
- Total monthly bill $140 (700 shared minutes, unlimited night/weekend)

I had assumed that AT&T would mess with our Unlimited Data plan or its low price, but they didn't which was the huge selling point. If they had I would have moved to someone else. To pay similar to what we do now you'd have to limit yourself to 300MB data per month... which on these 4G phones would take only a couple minutes of heavy downloading to accomplish.

Still, that's $840 per year per phone in bills. Amazing how the smartphone crept into our lives and now many people say they can't sustain the same standard of living without them. I could certainly do without it, but have decided its a luxury I'll keep.

I'll wait and see what the Windows phones do the next couple years before moving away from iPhone.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #43

Now the fun will be trying to find a way to turn the phone into a hotspot without AT&T knowing - then maybe I can cancel my internet at home.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #44
gone traveling

Being that I'm "odd", I'll stick with my Windows (Nokia) phone. Even though it's #3 in ranking, it's #1 with the way I use it and connect to services on my desktop (at home) ...

BTW, regardless of where I travel in the world, I always know where it is (even left in a cafe in Venice - Italy, not the left coast) and can zap it's content if I'm somewhere else in the world, that day, along with being linked to my MS/Calendar from my desktop and reminding me of appointments along the way.

I guess being an old "MS guy", I feel comfortable with it's features and the way it works.

BTW, I have an android device (Kindle Fire) and it works well (for what it does), but as a total communications device, the Windows Phone works well in my (and DW's) world.

And it works well as a hotspot for my KF when I travel. It eliminated the need to carry my netpc device....

Just my (our) simple POV.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
I had assumed that AT&T would mess with our Unlimited Data plan or its low price, but they didn't which was the huge selling point.
I'll say!! I am assuming the same thing with my Verizon unlimited data plan, but now I am wondering. Anyway, what a nice surprise.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #46

A question for Virgin Mobile subscribers: how much do you pay in total fees and taxes for the unlimited talk / message / data plan? I'm looking to compare with my current Verizon plan, and fees + taxes are a fair amount.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #47

I plan to upgrade from my 3GS to the 5 but I will wait a while to see if there are any problems with the initial release. I bought a MacAir laptop in January. I like the overall integration of the phone, my iPod, iTunes, and my laptop.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

What's an iPhone?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'll say!! I am assuming the same thing with my Verizon unlimited data plan, but now I am wondering. Anyway, what a nice surprise.
Verizon makes you switch plans if you buy a subsidized phone from them. The only way to stay on the unlimited plan is to swap in a phone you didn't get through an upgrade.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Verizon makes you switch plans if you buy a subsidized phone from them. The only way to stay on the unlimited plan is to swap in a phone you didn't get through an upgrade.
Thanks. Then I am SURE that I am not getting an iPhone 5 any time soon. I don't use that much data, but I love not having to even think about data usage.

That's good, because I already bought a "toy" this month (the Nintendo 3DS XL video game console).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks. Then I am SURE that I am not getting an iPhone 5 any time soon. I don't use that much data, but I love not having to even think about data usage.

That's good, because I already bought a "toy" this month (the Nintendo 3DS XL video game console).
I've heard stories about Verizon allowing some users to upgrade without giving up their unlimited data. I'd recommend calling and saying you know someone at AT&T who is very happy because they got to keep their unlimited data. See what kind of response you get from them
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
I've heard stories about Verizon allowing some users to upgrade without giving up their unlimited data. I'd recommend calling and saying you know someone at AT&T who is very happy because they got to keep their unlimited data. See what kind of response you get from them
Good idea! Hmmmm!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That may have been a few months ago. I upgraded to a 4G Razr Max in March or April and was able to keep unlimited data. I had problems with that phone and quickly cancelled it. When I returned in July to buy a different Android phone they explained that they changed their policies in late June and eliminated unlimited data on all new contracts (which is required to upgrade through them).
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"BTW, regardless of where I travel in the world, I always know where it is (even left in a cafe in Venice - Italy, not the left coast) and can zap it's content if I'm somewhere else in the world, that day, along with being linked to my MS/Calendar from my desktop and reminding me of appointments along the way."

Find My iPhone. Works with iPads and Macs too. Probably PCs as well, if you set up an iCloud account, which is free.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A question for Virgin Mobile subscribers: how much do you pay in total fees and taxes for the unlimited talk / message / data plan? I'm looking to compare with my current Verizon plan, and fees + taxes are a fair amount.
I pay $26.50 per month. 300 minutes plus unlimited data/text. Paid for my own unsubsidized Android smartphone.

That is $25 for the service plus $1.50 in taxes. I think that is an old rate that I am grandfathered on, but they have a new $35/45/55 plan structure that includes the unlimited data/text and increasing amounts of minutes (to include unlimited at $55 or whatever the highest cost plan is.

Apparently you can still get the $25 rate plan if you buy certain phones, like the Optimus Elite.

They also have the Iphone on Virgin mobile. 4 or 4S or something, but it is $550 for the cheapest one (unless you snag one off ebay or somewhere on sale).

I am thinking TMobile has some sort of unlimited data plan as well that is around $30/month but apparently available only thru walmart??
Old 09-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My $35/mo Virgin mobile plan: unlimited data, texts, minutes: comes to $38.42 with all fees and taxes (about the same 10 percent in taxes and fees as DH's now-individual ATT plan).
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #57

How are the data speeds?

The MVNOs may be more interesting if they could lease some LTE bandwidth from the majors.

As it is, I think they're using spare capacity on Sprint, which isn't the best network.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
How are the data speeds?

The MVNOs may be more interesting if they could lease some LTE bandwidth from the majors.

As it is, I think they're using spare capacity on Sprint, which isn't the best network.
"Speed" is the wrong term to use . My Virgin Mobile plan is an example of getting what you pay for, but it is fine for my purposes.

I think DH will get an iPhone5 and will switch to Verizon for the 4G LTE and the coverage.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #59

Verizon is required a shared data plan called Share Everything. You are forced to get unlimited minutes and texts with a bucket of data.

The cheapest one is $40 for 300 MB. But you pay a $40 smart phone line charge on top.

So a minimum of $80 plus tax, if you want to get the subsidized price for the iPhone.

AT&T is doing something similar but supposedly will sell you plans with small buckets of voice minutes.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Verizon is required a shared data plan called Share Everything. You are forced to get unlimited minutes and texts with a bucket of data.

The cheapest one is $40 for 300 MB. But you pay a $40 smart phone line charge on top.

So a minimum of $80 plus tax, if you want to get the subsidized price for the iPhone.

AT&T is doing something similar but supposedly will sell you plans with small buckets of voice minutes.
WOW! $1,000 bucks a yr. or $25,000 in assets @ 4% SWR for the "budget" plan.