Join Early Retirement Today

So who is jumping on the iPhone 5?
Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So who is jumping on the iPhone 5?

I put my order in. My Droid Global is going on 4 years old and is long in the tooth. I upgraded to a Razr Max in April but it was so problem ridden I returned it and figured I would wait for the new iPhone.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Not me. I like my Android, apps a lot cheaper free in most cases if you use Appstore. Apple nickels and dimes you to death.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I've expressed my desires to Santa Claus.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

iP4 was a splurge; still have iP3 in the drawer. Likely won't upgrade until the thing dies...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When the dang things stop costing $100+ a month for voice, text and data, I may bite. Until then I still have an 8-year-old "dumb phone" tied to a cheap T-Mobile prepaid plan that costs me $10 a year to rollover unused minutes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd like to upgrade to 5, but my old 3GS is still working like new. So far, can't justify the upgrade. I guess I'll see how the ol' 3GS is working when iPhone 6 comes out.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am another Android person. I went with the Samsung Galaxy III. Apple is a little to restrictive for me.
GaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When the dang things stop costing $100+ a month for voice, text and data, I may bite. Until then I still have an 8-year-old "dumb phone" tied to a cheap T-Mobile prepaid plan that costs me $10 a year to rollover unused minutes.
Ugh, I missed my annual expiration and lost about a 1000 minutes.

Probably will give up that number I had too. I wasn't actively using it though.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I am always looking for new "toys", but I probably will not buy the iPhone 5. Right now I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon, and I am grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan.

For me to switch to the iPhone 5:

1) It will need to be available through Verizon (I haven't bothered to check on that).

2) I would have to be able to retain my present, sweet, unlimited data plan.

3) I would have to WANT the iPhone 5.

Right now, I am skeptical because of its larger size, which would make it more awkward to carry around; the iPhone 4 is nicely portable. If I wanted a larger screen, I have my iPad and would use that. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for the increased speed of the iPhone 5.

I dunno. Maybe I'll warm up to it after a while.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been using iPhone since the original launched (for the record I'm not a fan of Apple at all, but I think they were way ahead of the curve with the iPhone)...

When the iPhone came out it was hands down the best... revolutionary. 2 years ago I stuck with the iPhone 4 because I felt the web browsing still blew everyone else away. Today it doesn't wow me anymore compared to what I see on other devices.

Apple really dropped the ball in my mind. I don't blame them for it... they are out there to make money off of iPhone now, not to turn heads and revolutionize. When you sell 50 million phones, what is the point in trying to deviate from what has worked?

The style looks ugly to me now... taller and thinner but the same width? Siri doesn't sound like it got upgraded much at all. I want a phone that can actually have a conversation with me... I want sixth sense technology... I want augmented reality...

all things I was hoping Apple would take a shot at... but nope, just upgraded hardware (to match everyone else)

I'm going to still do a comparison when I can get my hands on it... but I'll likely be moving to Android now (Nexus), or windows (Lumia)
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have an iPhone 4 (bought in July 2010 to replace an iPhone 3G). The iPhone 5 is not that big of an improvement over the iPhone 4 to justify upgrading at this time, so I think I will pass.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am always looking for new "toys", but I probably will not buy the iPhone 5. Right now I have an iPhone 4 with Verizon, and I am grandfathered in to an unlimited data plan.

1) It will need to be available through Verizon (I haven't bothered to check on that).

Right now, I am skeptical because of its larger size, which would make it more awkward to carry around; the iPhone 4 is nicely portable. If I wanted a larger screen, I have my iPad and would use that. I have absolutely no use whatsoever for the increased speed of the iPhone 5.

I was pretty much in the same camp. I have a Droid Global with unlimited data. Unfortunately, I need to change phones. I could buy something else retail and keep my data package but I can't take advantage of the subsidized price on a new phone from Verizon without moving to tiered pricing. I want my new phone to be LTE so I opted for the tiered pricing. Under the family plan I will actually save money on what I have been paying but I will have to avoid streaming video or music over the connection. I never did that anyway so it probably won't matter.

As to Android vs iPhone, I prefer the open file system of Android but I disliked the Razr LTE that I tested. I like the ease of use of my wife's iPhone 4, so I decided to switch.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #13

Got the iPhone 4S last year (upgraded from 3GS, which was an upgrade from the original iPhone).

Mainly, I love it, but have one nagging problem.

Sometimes I'll get up still feeling a bit sleepy, and I'll say "Siri, fix my usual breakfast." Usually it's OK, but sometimes she doesn't get my bacon quite crispy enough, and once or twice the eggs were a bit runny. Maybe it's because I'm not enunciating my order clearly enough, but I consider this a significant defect in the current iPhones.

So I'll have to wait and see how the reviews look, but there's a significant chance I'll upgrade again next year.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Administrator

Verizon doesn't make it easy to even estimate what one needs or how much it will cost, but the hasn't stopped them from pestering calling me weekly to let me know we can upgrade.

I don't see a compelling reason to migrate from a recent iPhone to this one. Since getting an IPad the iPhone now interests me but the unsubsidized cost is high and the subsidized cost means another two year contract with Verizon, something I very much hope to avoid. An iPhone together with a 3G iPad is also something that appears to be excessive.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope. Work provided me with an iPhone 4S, so I don't need a personal phone with a data plan. Just a small form factor phone that makes calls (no texting).

Right now I'm in the market for a 7" tablet with an HD screen that can handle a memory card. Unfortunately, nothing looks good yet.
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

If Verizon lets you keep your unlimited plan, you'd see a huge speed increase because of LTE. Make sure they have LTE coverage where you live though.

But if you don't watch streamed video much, then the faster speed probably means little on the phone.

If you have the ability to share that connection via Wifi (I believe the feature is called Personal Hotspot), then the additional speed would benefit iPads or even computers.

In some areas, LTE is faster than the wired Internet connection you get at home. However, if the iPhone 5 sells well, it could multiply the number of LTE-capable devices on LTE networks, which would probably slow down speeds.

They should still be faster than current 3G speeds though.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have a work provided iPhone 4. I could pay for it on my own, and probably still get work to pay for the monthly bill.

But I think I'll probably wait to see what the iPad Mini is like. I bought the iPad 3 months ago and while I carry it back and forth from the office to the home, a smaller iPad would probably see more mobile use, especially with the built-in turn by turn GPS feature in iOS 6.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Not this frugal guy! Low end Android phone on virgin mobile for me. Plenty of minutes and unlimited text/data for $25/month (all paid by my employer overlords). And the phone only cost $125 (non-subsidized) a couple years ago. Smart phones are neat and have totally changed the way I do some things. But it is only marginally useful for me.

It is nowhere near a replacement for my good ole desktop or laptop computer. And no way I would want to deal with all the Apple BS and expenses and fees and inflexibility and lack of google integration and ...

I always laugh at my iphone wielding friends who are like "wait your phone can do that? On a $25/month plan? On a cheapo phone? But look how sleek my phone looks!"

And now they say you can't get google maps on the iphone? Wait, I can't access my customized google maps? what?? No thanks!

And the iphones on V Mobile are unsubsidized so are exorbitantly priced ($550-650 for 4 or 4S). No way I would pay that when better android options are available for 1/2 or 1/3. The value proposition on phones change when you don't have a huge carrier provided subsidy and you start paying full freight for phones.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

You're kidding yourself if you think a $125 Android is the same as an iPhone.

If you want to talk about unsubsidized Android phones over $600 like the Galaxy S3, which are more closer in the same price range as iPhones, then there's a discussion to be had.

People are paying for speed, smooth user experience, better cameras, etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You're kidding yourself if you think a $125 Android is the same as an iPhone.

If you want to talk about unsubsidized Android phones over $600 like the Galaxy S3, which are more closer in the same price range as iPhones, then there's a discussion to be had.

People are paying for speed, smooth user experience, better cameras, etc.
Actually the phone I bought years ago is now around $50-60 on the secondary market (so about 1/10 the price of the new unsubsidized iphone). They do the same thing. Calls, emails, texts, pics, web, hundreds of thousands of apps that do a million different things, games, media galore etc.

But anyway I wasn't saying my cheapo android is the same as an iphone. It is better in some respects and worse in others. Of course that is subjective. Particularly subjective for me since I am so integrated into google products and couldn't figure out apple/itunes the times I tried to.

Just saying I wouldn't spend the $600 on a fancy toy (which is what I consider it personally) that will be outdated next year. To each their own though!

However as an AAPL shareholder (via index funds), I love people buying these puppies! I love apple fanboys! Immensely profitable for apple, and hence me!