Join Early Retirement Today

So Who's Flying First Class?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

So Who's Flying First Class?

Recent news reports on all the changes in the airline industry made me wonder who those first-class passengers are. Are they all company executives on company dime? Kids of rich families? People with a few bucks to throw away and simply enjoy the comfort (or envious looks from other passengers)?

To me, first-class tickets are priced so high that I would never consider it. I would feel guilty even if someone else is paying for it. I am especially puzzled by teenagers in first-class cabins (and also a little worried that they will grow up spoiled, but who am I to say).
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I have never flown 1st class on my own dime. I have been bumped up to FC a couple of times and have flown that way on the company's dime a few times.

As I LBYM, FC is as big a waste of $ as I can imagine.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

W*rk will fly me first class on long flights. VPs always fly first class. One my friends put in 200000 miles in the last couple of years so they sometimes upgrade her to first or she uses the mileage to do the upgrade.

Out of my price range otherwise.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd stand first.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

"First class" conjures up the image of my uncle stepping off a plane, second or third off, carrying absolutely nothing.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

Not me. I wallow with the other peons in my little seat for 2 to 3 hrs. But Frontier is cool you get to watch TV and stuff for 5.99! Of course I tend to take red eyes and sleep the whole way. But when Im awake on the 2nd parts TV is really a great feature on a plane. Cant wait for the internet.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #7

The estimates I've seen suggest that ~80% of first class seats are obtained through upgrades due to frequent flyer status. So relatively few people are paying full fare for those seats. The ratio may be lower on long-haul international flights where corporate policies are more likely to allow for the purchase of business or first class tickets (if the flight is over X hours).
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

Gulp. My husband and I routinely fly first class. My husband is 6'8" tall and long flights are painful for him in coach. I am a woman of "ahem" abundant proportions and fly first class for the same reason. We factor in the increase in price when we plan our trips. Best to get all the dirty laundry out there we also travel business class when taking the train....don't hate us.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Gulp. My husband and I routinely fly first class. My husband is 6'8" tall and long flights are painful for him in coach. I am a woman of "ahem" abundant proportions and fly first class for the same reason. We factor in the increase in price when we plan our trips. Best to get all the dirty laundry out there we also travel business class when taking the train....don't hate us.
I applaud your paying for first class. It is probably the only reason that the toilets in steerage are still free.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I try with all my might to not fly if I can get there by land or sea. But we're thinking of a trip to Oz next year. Even though it's theoretically possible to get there by boat, I suspect we'll fly. And I fully intend to fly first class for that one. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and I don't want to start the trip out with a couple dozen hours of misery. I've never flown first class before, and I hope it's worth it.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I applaud your paying for first class. It is probably the only reason that the toilets in steerage are still free.

Let's see:

"Mr. HFWR, here's a nice warm washcloth. Would you like to see the wine list? Can I get you a pillow?"

v.

"Peanuts? Bwahahahahaha..."

Hmmm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Always happy to do my part.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've been upgraded to FC a few times on domestic flights. It's nice: plenty of room, nicer snacks, and booze if you want it. But there's no way I'd actually pay the price they ask for it. $500 extra is a lot of beer and pizza, and I can enjoy it with people I know and like.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
You have the funds. Whats to hate? Good for you
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I have never flown first class, but would if the flight lasted more than 4 hours. Besides, I've heard they don't serve bacon in first class...so... I don't think I've missed much.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I would love flying first class on transatlantic flights but I can't bring myself to pay $11,000 per person round trip on Swiss. It's about $900 per person in economy. If I had $11,000 to spend, I would rather take 12 round trips in economy (which is really not that bad) than just 1 trip in FC. It's a lot of extra money to pay for 8 hours of relative luxury! Plus when JFK is backed up for three hours, the FC passenger wait on the tarmac with everyone else. OK, they drink Champagne and eat petit fours while they wait, but still... Paying to travel in business class though could become an option in the future (when our NW is much much higher). It's a lot more affordable ($3400 round trip) than FC and it is a definite step up from economy.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
The estimates I've seen suggest that ~80% of first class seats are obtained through upgrades due to frequent flyer status. So relatively few people are paying full fare for those seats. The ratio may be lower on long-haul international flights where corporate policies are more likely to allow for the purchase of business or first class tickets (if the flight is over X hours).
Probably even a higher percentage.... but you are right about international...

I do not know of any airline that will bump you to first class from coach if you are flying overseas.... or even business class from coach if they have it.... the airlines KNOW that the companies will pay their own dime so it does not happen...

I remember telling a platinum flying this and he thought I was nuts and would get his upgrade to London.... fortunately his assistant called and asked and was told what I had said... he would have really blown a gasket if she had booked him coach....

ME... I will not pay the price.... not worth it... I few on a number of upgrades being a Gold for a couple of years back when.... it just did not seem worth the price...

NOW, if they would maybe have it a 25% increase or so... I might think about it.... but not 100s....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:27 AM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

Personally, I would not fork out on my own to pay to travel FC. Incidentally, as I often travel on the job, on long haul flights, I get put on FC.. Otherwise, for short flights, since I am a frequent flyer, I can ask for upgrades if there are available slots. I guess for tall folks, we need and definitely can appreciate the extra legroom for our long legs.. Else we'll get pins and needles in our legs at the end of a long haul !

Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I remember the President of one of the Internet companies that I worked for always demanding to fly first class. One of the (many) reasons the company went bankrupt.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Not me. But First class always seems to be full. I suspect a large portion of those seats are filled by frequent fliers that get upgrades on their standard tickets.

And of course Business travels (executives).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote