pictures don't show the true condition of the townhouse, as they were shot
after numerous beer cans had been removed to enable access. Plus, tunnels
connecting various rooms had been collapsed. The tenant was a single man
living in Ogden, UT who had been renting the property for eight years. His
property manager considered him to be one of their best tenants, as he
didn't complain and always paid his rent on time. What we don't understand
is why the property manager would publicize the fact that they don't conduct
internal inspections as part of their job."

I can't believe that these photos were taken after removing "numerous" beer cans. No wonder the aluminum market was being squeezed!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dude must have had a 350lb liver.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At least he was health conscious, only drinking light beer. As far as the landlord, the best one can hope for in a rental is for the rent to be paid and the place to not be destroyed. In this case both conditions seem to be met, and the beer cans probably protected the walls and floor.

Edit: Just read that he stopped drinking and got his old job back!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #4

anyone else think the pics look like fakes?

come on...

living room door blocked by cans? as well as tv, and recliner?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Utah is a strange place
Old 08-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Tryan? whatta you think? I'm not seeing any holes in the walls, any serious smoke damage, any rotten food... Shoot - looks like a profit deal to me - not much to be disposed of that one can't shovel out and sell for scrap. Rent got paid too? and the complaint is.....?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

The pics have shock value.
However, aAfter 8 years of "good tenantship", this may not be so bad. Lets see, the landlord gets to keep the security deposit for sure and the deposit's ROI since should be positive. The aluminum should be worth something.
Assuming the rent was kept up to market, then just from 100% occupancy rate had been money in the bank.
I expect to replace carpet and paint after 8 years under normal rental use. My last renter did about $1500 damage after two years. A couple years back I had to evict a loser. No fun at all to pay for repairs after someone stole your money.

In 2003, I thought the rentals were the smartest financial decision of my life. What with 5% down, the leverege was something like 30X in 3 years. Now it is still smart but it may be dead money for a few years.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

The apartment doesn't look that bad from a landlord perspective. No big holes in the walls or food rotting on the floor. I've seen a lot worst. If they still have the picture page on mrlandlord.com that will get you scared.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #9

Wow! My tenants would of least offered me a beer. When no one calls about a problem in over six months, I pay a visit. Things break. No news in the rental business is not good news.

Had one tenant send me a note saying they were moving out because I had not done anything about the water problem! WHAT WATER PROBLEM? Walked into the kitchen and water squirted up around my feet. There was a leak in the wall from the kitchen drain, galvanized pipe use in the late forties. Big problem.

Give me beer cans ANY day instead of water problems. My two weeks of vacation that year was used to remove the kitchen floor, dry out the boards and put down new linoleum. Beer cans? Not a problem.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think the landlord should have called Coors light .Looks like a perfect place for a commercial .
Old 08-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'd have been a very happy landlord.

20 gallons of gorilla glue and I could have built a second house in the back yard out of beer cans.

Double the rent. Tell me you couldnt get a bunch of 20 year old guys to pay big bucks for a house made out of beer cans.

And who cares if they make a mess out of it?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #12

Hey if those cans are worth a nickel a piece the owner made out on the deal ... now the roaches which followed the swill will be a seperate problem.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Hey if those cans are worth a nickel a piece the owner made out on the deal ... now the roaches which followed the swill will be a seperate problem.
If I were this fellow's landlord, I would be inclined to investigate toting all the cans to a state with a relatively high 'can deposit', I think in some states one could get perhaps 10 cents a piece for them, which given their sheer number, makes it appear that even chartered jet service would be a cost effective way to claim the redemption proceeds.

Although the pictures are a bit shocking, I didn't perceive any serious damage beyond the obvious can removal (and perhaps some airing out of stale beer smells). Personally, any inclination I might have had towards being a landlord disappeared very quickly with the rapid ascent of home based methamphetamine manufacturing operations.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #14

i'd be more concerned about what's under the cans...bugs, drippings of beer...and the stench - if there was carpet that's a gonner...but the place will not smell very nice...
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Something's not right here.

The tenant had to eat and drink things other than Coors Light beer, yet the only discarded stuff in Coors Light Beer cans and boxes. If the guy were just a slob, you'd see some other stuff too. Also, he puts the boxes in one room and the cans in another.

Maybe the renter was a psycho or something.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to jnojr Send a message via Yahoo to jnojr
That ain't no nightmare!

I can think of many, far worse, things that he could have filled the house with other than valuable, recyclable aluminum cans
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
anyone else think the pics look like fakes?

come on...

living room door blocked by cans? as well as tv, and recliner?
No, its the real deal. 70,000 cans of beer on the wall, 70,000 cans of beer....

His kidneys must be shot.

Beer Can Filled Townhouse Photographs

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #18

Yeah, I've certianly had worse ... ok, story time.

Was left with a foster (and grand) mother in a bank owned SF I purchased. She managed to fill 4 garages, the basement, and the 3 bed room apartment with garbage. The clan would literally walk the streets on garbage day and come home with garbage they thought could be sold. The clean up revealed 2 cars, a rotted road kill deer in an unplugged freezer (workers barfed seeing the maggots), and 5-6 dumpsters worth of garbage.

Cans would have been a gift.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

my pa has a can crusher & he loves to use it. this would keep him amused for weeks!!!

as far as nightmares go, it doesn't seem to bad. like other people said, aside from some floor damage & maybe some roaches it looks like the place is in relatively good shape. given the number of cans, it would probably pay for all the repairs & make up for lost rent, while the place was being fixed up.