Join Early Retirement Today

So, you wanna finance that LASIK?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, you wanna finance that LASIK?

Sorry... I got a kick out of this. They've been running this radio spot for a month or so now and I am just in shock every time.

If you qualify, you can go get LASIK and pay nothing for the first year. Blah blah blah, cue the quick talk at the end. You must pay in full after the first year or negotiate a payment plan. The balance starts accruing interest at the time the operation is performed at a variable APY, currently 29.5%. The interest is still charged even if the balance is paid in full.

Let's not even talk about some of the inherent issues with LASIK that they're seldom forthcoming about.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it could be a violation of local usury laws.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For some folks (like me) it drastically improves quality of life. Sometimes it is hard to function when you are blind. I paid cash but worth every penny and then some. Funneled the $$ through the HSA so the gov't picked up 1/3 the cost.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Let's not even talk about some of the inherent issues with LASIK that they're seldom forthcoming about.
I've talked with dozens of people who have had LASIK and I don't know one person who has had a problem, including myself.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 AM   #5

I do. One of the people I worked with had LASIK surgery done and he had serious problems for months seeing halos around bright lights, especially at night. He said it made it impossible for him to drive at night during that time.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For some folks (like me) it drastically improves quality of life. Sometimes it is hard to function when you are blind. I paid cash but worth every penny and then some. Funneled the $$ through the HSA so the gov't picked up 1/3 the cost.
Funny how some people look at this.

I would say you paid 100% of the cost for LASIK. Because some of your income got put in a pre-tax medical account, you didn't have to pay taxes on that part of your income.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Funny how some people look at this.

I would say you paid 100% of the cost for LASIK. Because some of your income got put in a pre-tax medical account, you didn't have to pay taxes on that part of your income.
I know what you mean - it's my money no matter how you look at it, it was just a matter of doing something to avoid the government taking it.

In effect I had a choice of either having LASIK for $2000 out of pocket or having $2000 cash in hand and bad vision (after tax effects are considered).

I may have made a different decision if the gov't wasn't allowing a pre-tax cafeteria plan deduction for the whole surgery. If I valued the surgery at an amount less than $3000 but more than $2000, I would not have underwent surgery absent the tax break. Before the fact, this was the case for me. After the fact, I would gladly pay the full $3000 w/o tax breaks for the same outcome/satisfaction.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Quote:
I've talked with dozens of people who have had LASIK and I don't know one person who has had a problem, including myself.
I had a friend who got LASIK because he didn't want to be dependant on glasses or contacts when the world ends. Even though he kept asking questions about it, it wasn't until after the procedure was done and he actually talked to the doc that he was told "no, that cut will never heal to more than a few percent of it's prior strength, that's why we can correct it down the line, the flap never fully re-attaches". That's also why you're not supposed to engage in certain physical activities if you'd had LASIK. You're at risk for dislodging the flap.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Three more payments and this eyeball is mine!

-CC
Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
I am very, very happy I had Lasik done, but I did have problems. I had severe pain after the surgery. Also, my eyes felt very scratchy and dry for the first month or two, and the dryness didn't fully go away until about 9 months to a year later. I had to use extra thick eye drops quite often. I also had bad halos with difficulty driving at night during that time (I still have mild halos, but not so severe I can't drive safely.)

They also overcorrected one eye which thankfully only seems to affect my ability to see the computer screen clearly. I have corrected for it by buying $5 reading glasses at Walmart (lowest strength) and popping out the R lens. I look silly when I'm on the computer and people at work make jokes about my "glass", LOL.

This, IMO, was a very small price to pay for the tremendous improvement in my quality of life. I was very, very nearsighted (-9.5 glasses prescription) and was on the high end of the "bell curve" for those who can have Lasik. So I think I have an awesome result. I can go snorkeling and swim without worrying about losing a contact lens, and I no longer have the chronic dryness I had from wear contacts.

My DH had Lasik with no troubles at all, but his vision wasn't very bad to begin with. My suspicion is that the more of a correction you need, the more apt you are to have some difficulties.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I do. One of the people I worked with had LASIK surgery done and he had serious problems for months seeing halos around bright lights, especially at night. He said it made it impossible for him to drive at night during that time.
yup, a friend of mine can't drive at night anymore because of it!

i've also heard spots down here (where every 3rd commercial is for a different plastic surgery center) about buy one eye, get the other free - that just sounds funny... wonder if they'd ever give that offer for boobs.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #12

I had Lasik five years ago and it truly changed my life. As I mentioned in another thread, my uncorrected vision was 20/400 --- with severe astigmatism in my left eye -- and even with hard contacts, my vision never was crystal clear. Until Lasik that is. Overnight, my vision was corrected to 20/15 and has not changed.

I was concerned about the possibility of "halo vision" as I did experience that with my contacts due to the fact that my pupils are pretty large to begin with, and they would enlarge in the dark and I would in effect see the edge of the contact. I discussed with with my surgeon and he made the correction area a little larger than normal. I had dry eyes for about a week or so afterwards, but that was the only after effect.

As I've said, this surgery changed my life. Not a day goes by that I don't see something and marvel at the clarity of my vision...and thank God for the skill of my surgeon!!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my Lasik.

Of course, being a little chicken, DH went first....:-)
Old 03-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy5708 View Post
I love my Lasik.

Of course, being a little chicken, DH went first....:-)
Somebody had to go first.

Although a few people mentioned the dry eyes and temporary "halos", every person I have met has been really happy with their new eyes.

People that never had to wear glasses or contacts don't realize how much of a pain it is not to be able to see in the shower, or having to worry about not falling asleep with contact lenses on, or having to take your glasses off before putting on a sweater, or not being able to put your head on a pillow while wearing glasses, or having to worry about some snot-nosed kid you are holding decide to pull your glasses of your face, etc, etc, etc.

It really is amazing that a 10 to 15 minutes procedure can change your life forever.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have worn hard contacts, (gas permeable), since the late 70s. I'm blind as a bat otherwise. I like my contacts, but have wondered about Lasik, Radial, and whatever other there is. My question is...have any long term studies been done on these procedures? What will your eyes be like in 20 or 30 years? After you have been cut on, no more contacts, only glasses if things go downhill?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
After you have been cut on, no more contacts, only glasses if things go downhill?
DH had his 4 or 5 yrs ago, no problems. I grilled my optometrist before the procedure, and she admitted that if they use special contacts in the event of complications.

We do have a friend that was unsuccessful with his Lasik; he could see far away, but had really bad reading sight right after. He was operated on 3 times over 2 years, and now has to have glasses.

So you can have multiple procedures, and wear contacts.

There is another procedure where they implant a lens, similar to a contact. But it's newer and more expensive
Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #17

Unfortunetly i've been told i'm not a good candidate for conventional laser eye surgery. There is a newer version that costs about $8000-$9000 that "might" work. There's no way i'm paying that much for surgery that may not work. I've had glasses since I was 10 so I don't really remember a time when I didn't have them so I think i'll just keep the glasses. Elective eye surgery is obviously not something I would ever consider paying for with credit.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Unfortunetly i've been told i'm not a good candidate for conventional laser eye surgery. There is a newer version that costs about $8000-$9000 that "might" work..
Have you considered PRK instead of LASIK? Cost is about the same, but PRK involves a longer and more uncomfortable recovery time than LASIK.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Have you considered PRK instead of LASIK? Cost is about the same, but PRK involves a longer and more uncomfortable recovery time than LASIK.
Sounds great Seriously though, I never heard of PRK but will look into it.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Sounds great Seriously though, I never heard of PRK but will look into it.

PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) is a procedure that uses the excimer laser to reshape the cornea, such as with LASIK. The difference between LASIK and PRK is instead of a corneal flap; the top protective layer of the cornea called the epithelium is removed. The epithelium will regenerate in about 3 days. A contact lens is placed in the eye and the doctor sees you daily until the epithelium is healed. PRK was mainly performed prior to development of LASIK. However, it is still used in select cases for example, where the cornea is too thin for LASIK or if there is a pre-existing scar that can be eliminated through the procedure.

I had Lasik and as I've said before, it's changed my life. You cannot imagine the incredible thrill of looking at a tree from some distance and seeing the individual leaves and branches and maybe a bird or two -- where the day before all I could make out was the general shape of the tree and some movement of green. And the first time I could open the dishwasher and not have a burst of steam cloud up my vision...well, that's just amazing, I tell ya.

But OK, here's the worst part of having Lasik. It is really a painless procedure and the actual laser beam part takes only a very small fraction of a second. But, when the surgeon makes the flap from your cornea at the beginning of the procedure, you do lose all vision in that eye for maybe 2 or 3 seconds. Everything simply goes black -- and although I knew it was going to happen, I felt a real panic. Then the procedure is over and while my vision in that eye was blurry (the doctor puts a gel type med in your eye to lubricate it), I knew I could see. Oh yeah. Then they do the other eye and again, everything simply goes black for a second or two. By the time I sat up (probably no more than 10 minutes after the procedure started), I already could see the time on the clock on the wall.