Join Early Retirement Today

Sobering article
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sobering article

Just saw this article. It looks like 2/3 of boomers won't be retiring. I didn't realize it was that bad.

Florida Can Wait - MSN Encarta
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder how so many late 60-something and 70-something people seeking work will even be able to find jobs in those sorts of numbers. Going to have to be one hell of an economic expansion.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I found the article uplifting. To whatever extent older folks can "retread" and move into full or part time work in labor shortage areas, I'm all for it. I hope the program at junior colleges is successul!

This paragraph said it all.......

"The Encore Career Grant will provide 10 $25,000 grants to select community and junior colleges throughout the nation to create educational opportunities designed to help the baby boomer population transition from their primary job into a second, "encore career" in sectors including health care, education and social services, which are facing a critical worker shortage. The Encore Career Grants will help workers ages 50 and older seamlessly move from their current career into one that fills a much needed labor gap."

I won't be participating, however. I'm done.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sobering to 2/3 of boomers but maybe good for the rest of us

(1) As often mentioned here olders workers will continue to pay SS
(2) They will not be buying "retirement beach houses" which will make it less expensive if you want to go that route
(3) Because of the labor shortage it will be easier to get interesting part time work if you get bored (not that I'm concerned about that)

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's time for the economists & financial analysts to pile up all the "Social Security is bankrupt" and the "Boomers will NEVER retire" articles to see if they offset each other...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Just saw this article. It looks like 2/3 of boomers won't be retiring. I didn't realize it was that bad.

Florida Can Wait - MSN Encarta
Hasn't this been the case over the past few decades? Most folks can't retire until they're in their 60's or even 70's. As far as I can tell, that's been a reality for some time now. Maybe the difference is that people have very different lifestyle expectations than they did 30 years ago.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
"...to create educational opportunities designed to help the baby boomer population transition... into a second, "encore career"...

I won't be participating, however. I'm done.
Thankfully not every performance deserves an encore. Mine sure didn't.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Color me skeptical. Once most folks retire, they're not going back to work merely out of idealism -- only the need for income.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My BS detector is going off. I suspect a lot of boomers will have to work longer than they would like -- good for us. But 73% planning to work after retirement? Sounds like a survey tapping the opinions of a young crowd. Before people hit their mid to late 50s a lot think they will want to work in a new field after they "retire from" their current occupation. But as they get closer to pulling the plug, that follow-on career becomes less enticing. Remember the youngest boomers are only 43. The vast majority of people that age haven't even begun thinking about retirement - notwithstanding, you forward thinking young dreamers on this board.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most of my fellow workers are realizing that retirement may not happen when they thought it would because throughout their working lives they overspent,never saved anything,are carrying a heavy debt load and can no way live on the reduced income of a retirement pension.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #12

before realizing inheritance and before working life became so crummy what with dealing with all the death and dying around me, i hadn't even considered retirement though i was well on my way to it, not having ever been a spender so certainly never an overspender.

i still have trouble thinking of myself as a retired person. i've yet to send in aarp dues though they certainly are persistant in collecting them. i'm not old enough to be retired and i never really had a career, per say, from which to retire. rather i think of myself simply as unemployed. fortunately, i'm able to afford it.

otherwise i'd still be working and--considering that i hadn't considered retirement before i realized i had enough money for it--i don't have any reason to think i'd know the difference. working would just be what i do. just as now what i don't do is what i do. but then my external activity didn't always matched my internal processes. i suppose if i was more integrated a person or at least more integrated into society that such incongruities might have bothered me enough to plan an early retirement. but my upbringing included few examples of such a lifestyle. work work work work work.

for the most part, my industrious family makes out as if i am the embarrassment; but i suspect i am, in secret, the envy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thankfully not every performance deserves an encore. Mine sure didn't.

Youbetcha! W*rk and youbet have become an oxymoron. We just can no longer coexist! Nor do I hear the applause of the audience calling me back to the stage.........

However......going back to the article OP posted...... If there are a bunch of baby boomers, or whoever, who need/want income during their so-called retirement years, I think having training available so they can perform in labor shortage areas is a good idea. The economy only needs so many Walmart greeters! Especially while so many semi-skilled jobs go unfilled.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #14

"Remember the youngest boomers are only 43. The vast majority of people that age haven't even begun thinking about retirement - notwithstanding, you forward thinking young dreamers on this board."

I'm one of those 43 yr olds - but don't consider myself a boomer but a tweener. Weird to think I'm considered a boomer......

Hoping to retire in 3-5 years - have been planning for quite awhile now and dream of it nightly - very scary to think that many my age haven't thought about saving for retirement....only gets harder to save as you get older.