Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Mr._johngalt said:
No need to be "sorry" as I don't care one way or the other. That's the
truth.

JG

I believe you........... ;)

FinanceDude said:
Trust noone
Not practical or efficient. Certainly you need to be selective, but trust in others provides a freedom for you to accomplish more. Find people who you can trust and life is better.

Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
I think this is certainly true about the job market and employers today. I value personal relationships highly, and I think that you are wise to give good friends and colleagues a little more leeway and maybe even a second chance. Don't give up a valuable relationship too soon. Sometimes it's worth a little bit of effort to keep it.

Learn a trade AND go to college
Education of all kinds is usually a good investment.

Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
I wish this weren't true, but I think it is.

A draft will be reinstated
I have no idea if this will happen -- seems possible under the right conditions.

No SS for our kids
Complete nonsense. Social Security is the most popular government program in existence. Anyone closing in on SS age wants their benefit and older people are the most dependable voters. Fixing the gap between ss taxes and ss benefits is a minor issue.

:) :D :D

TromboneAl said:
True, but the chances that it will directly affect your life are almost zero.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. Educate yourself on what is really going on with Islam and the terrorists. Take a look at JihadWatch.org. The word needs to be spread on this threat to our way of life.

5brown1 said:
Unfortunately, you are wrong. Educate yourself on what is really going on with Islam and the terrorists. Take a look at JihadWatch.org. The word needs to be spread on this threat to our way of life.

I agree, and I don't blame it all on the terrorists. There is shared responsibility for the current situation dating back well before WW II. The sins of the parents are visited on the children.

Mr._johngalt said:
This is good stuff. I have trouble explaining this sometimes. I am a cynic
but not a pessimist. Big difference. I have unbounded 100% confidence in me
and what I can do. I expect most others to disappoint. So far, I am batting
close to 1.000 in this area.

Wow, you sound a lot like me!!! I'm NOT alone on this planet after all!!! :LOL:

alphabet soup said:
Hot flash for john galt.:

The only difference between you and the slob sleeping in the doorway is blind luck.

Hmmm....blind luck?! I can't speak for JG, but personally I don't believe that blind luck exists, or else I would probably waste money on the lottery. Personally I DO believe in tenacity, intestinal-fortitude, and making the most of EVERY opportunity. And so far that has kept me from sleeping in the doorway...I am, however, a slob! ;) A slob who will VERY shortly be successfully FIRE'd, that is!!! :cool:

Nords said:
Trust noone
Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

This list isn't much different from the one we grew up with!

Agreed. There is always a long list of doom and gloom scenarios for every era.

Just a few generations ago, childhood diseases that are almost non-existent now or easily treated, or disease from poor sanitation put you or a brother/sister in the grave, or crippled you for life. No need to worry about your SS running out.

As others have said, educate yourself in several areas. Learn how to adapt. Stay on top of things so you can act. If the unexpected happens, react. Don't get fat, dumb and happy about your comfy lifestyle. It may be threatened at any time.

Same as it ever was. Yet, despite that, our kids will probably still have one of the better standards of living on this planet. No guarantees, but I'd bet on it.

-ERD50

Social Security is the most popular government program in existence. Anyone closing in on SS age wants their benefit and older people are the most dependable voters. Fixing the gap between ss taxes and ss benefits is a minor issue.

I agree completely. I'd add that the way to ensure that your kids don't get Social Security is to convince them that they won't.

Large numbers of younger people already believe that Social Security will be a memory by the time they get around to collecting. They've already given up, and without even putting up a fight.

Caroline said:
I agree completely. I'd add that the way to ensure that your kids don't get Social Security is to convince them that they won't.

Large numbers of younger people already believe that Social Security will be a memory by the time they get around to collecting. They've already given up, and without even putting up a fight.

Unfortunately, many have given up. I wouldn't say it's without a fight though. The Dems are saying there's no problem the Reps are saying there is a problem. The most powerful voting block in American is still more left leaning than anybody else and they are nearing SS age and don't want anybody monkeying around with it.

lets-retire said:
Unfortunately, many have given up. I wouldn't say it's without a fight though. The Dems are saying there's no problem the Reps are saying there is a problem. The most powerful voting block in American is still more left leaning than anybody else and they are nearing SS age and don't want anybody monkeying around with it.

I'm sure SS will still be there, for the reasons you stated. The government will just print more money to pay for it and we will all suffer due to inflation and the eroded purchasing power of the dollar. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom