Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

I had a long talk with a buddy of mine. His wife was recently downsized, and he himself was downsized out of the blue several years ago. After awhile, we started talking about the world our sons will face in the future. Here is his take (a little cynical for me):

Trust noone
Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

This guy is pretty upbeat usually...............wonder if that's a prevailing sentiment?
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Sounds about right, except for the draft.
__________________

__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,666
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

I would say 'close'

Trust no politicians that prey on fear (which is all of them right now) or talk about the past as opposed to the future.

Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it AND be prepared for it while not letting it paralyze you.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

And remember, the corporations are in charge of our country, not the people.
__________________
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
(Ancient Indian Proverb)"
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Trust noone
Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids
This list isn't much different from the one we grew up with! How about:
1. Find someone you can trust and spend the rest of your life with.
2., 3., 4. Good advice.
5. If this happens you'll have more important problems-- WWII only bigger. There won't be a peacetime-- it'll hurt the military more than it'll hurt the draftees.
6. There should always be a safety net for the poor/disabled. Hopefully you won't need it, but you'll be paying for it one way or another.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 260
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
I would say 'close'

Trust no politicians that prey on fear (which is all of them right now) or talk about the past as opposed to the future.

Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it AND be prepared for it while not letting it paralyze you.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

And remember, the corporations are in charge of our country, not the people.
I'd say "closer."

To "Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason" I'd add, and be vigilant for new and better opportunities. Don't let blind loyalty to an employer hamstring you.
__________________
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
I'd add, and be vigilant for new and better opportunities. Don't let blind loyalty to an employer hamstring you.
'Zackly. I view myself as a glorified contractor who has one client at a time.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Blind loyalty to any idea will hamstring you.
I took pride in helping my customers long after I had given up on my employer.
__________________
heyyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
This list isn't much different from the one we grew up with! How about:
1. Find someone you can trust and spend the rest of your life with.
2., 3., 4. Good advice.
5. If this happens you'll have more important problems-- WWII only bigger. There won't be a peacetime-- it'll hurt the military more than it'll hurt the draftees.
6. There should always be a safety net for the poor/disabled. Hopefully you won't need it, but you'll be paying for it one way or another.
Thought I had.

I won't try again.
--------
I think there will be some sort of pseudo draft: prisoners, illegal aliens, people with no other possibility of a job.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,435
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
'Zackly. I view myself as a glorified contractor who has one client at a time.
So if you're a mercenary, does this mean you can deduct the cost of a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine?
__________________
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,201
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
True, but the chances that it will directly affect your life are almost zero.
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
So if you're a mercenary, does this mean you can deduct the cost of a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine?
Contractor, not mercenary.
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........


One thing bothers me about your lists. When you list "The draft will be reinstated" it seems that you assume the electorate have no say over that. More and more these days I am dismayed that people talk about the government's actions on terrorism, defense, on social security, etc., etc., as if we don't have any control. It's really not true at all! We need to become much more fierce in making our government behave the way we want it too. We outnumber the corporations and we have the votes!
__________________
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
as if we don't have any control. It's really not true at all! We need to become much more fierce and proactive in making our government behave the way we want it too. We outnumber the corporations and we have the votes!
Gosh, I wish you had not said "proactive".

You are dreaming. Besides, if it comes to a clash between
"corporations" and "the masses", I am with the corporations
every time. I understand where they are coming from.
The voters/people/masses/Joe Sixpack are all out there in looneyland.
I don't even recognize the planet they came from. You know this
is the straight "gen" as I am no longer part of the "elite" and so I can say
whatever I think (actually I always did).

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
The voters/people/masses/Joe Sixpack are all out there in looneyland.
Gee, Joe Sixpack is really out on a limb these days. Hated by the Neocons. Hated by the Liberal Elite. It's gotta be a tough life.......
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Yeah, but he's got a deer rifle, and knows how to use it...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,753
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

A draft will be reinstated
Don't worry about the draft. Worry about what they will ask order the draftees to do.
__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,965
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Yeah, but he's got a deer rifle, and knows how to use it...
Well, could be. Some are saying that if the disparity in wealth continues and grows, rich folks, both the politically liberal and conservative, may awake to find the masses at their gates. And maybe they will be carrying those deer rifles.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
Arc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 370
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I had a long talk with a buddy of mine. His wife was recently downsized, and he himself was downsized out of the blue several years ago. After awhile, we started talking about the world our sons will face in the future. Here is his take (a little cynical for me):

Trust noone
Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

This guy is pretty upbeat usually...............wonder if that's a prevailing sentiment?
Kids should be taught to believe that their future is in their hands and if they accept this responsibility, they will be able to respond positively to whatever life hands them - and the unavoidable bumps in the road will not be big enough to derail them. There is simply zero value in being negative.
__________________
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 926
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc
Kids should be taught to believe that their future is in their hands and if they accept this responsibility, they will be able to respond positively to whatever life hands them - and the unavoidable bumps in the road will not be big enough to derail them. There is simply zero value in being negative.
This is good stuff. I have trouble explaining this sometimes. I am a cynic
but not a pessimist. Big difference. I have unbounded 100% confidence in me
and what I can do. I expect most others to disappoint. So far, I am batting
close to 1.000 in this area. With regard to the negative views of FinanceDude's buddy,
he appears to be pretty depressed. It's a shame.

JG
__________________
Some of us have pretty stories, about good friends, good times and noodle salad.
Mr._johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........
Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 105
Re: Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt


Besides, if it comes to a clash between
"corporations" and "the masses", I am with the corporations
every time.

JG
Hot flash for john galt.:

The only difference between you and the slob sleeping in the doorway is blind luck. You're not nearly as smart and superior as you think you are. Smug and complacent, yes.

I know whereof I speak. I was once a "It's all about me" Ayn Rand objectivist until I really needed help. That's when I learned about the true value of charity and mercy, two things you know nothing about.

Maybe, one day. After all, it happened to me. I was as big an asshole as you.
__________________

__________________
alphabet soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to be good parents to adult kids bright eyed Other topics 22 02-20-2007 12:21 PM
Cost of kids accountingsucks Young Dreamers 24 06-21-2006 07:37 AM
Square peg looking fwd to ER with kids Green Jeans Hi, I am... 6 04-08-2006 04:56 PM
Good Schools for Early Retirees Kids thinkingaboutit Life after FIRE 24 03-05-2006 04:07 PM
Overweight kids in Australia... Lancelot Other topics 18 12-16-2005 08:47 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.