Sobering Conversation about my Kid's Future...........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had a long talk with a buddy of mine. His wife was recently downsized, and he himself was downsized out of the blue several years ago. After awhile, we started talking about the world our sons will face in the future. Here is his take (a little cynical for me):

Trust noone
Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason
Learn a trade AND go to college
Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it.
A draft will be reinstated
No SS for our kids

This guy is pretty upbeat usually...............wonder if that's a prevailing sentiment?

Sounds about right, except for the draft.

I would say 'close'

Trust no politicians that prey on fear (which is all of them right now) or talk about the past as opposed to the future.

Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it AND be prepared for it while not letting it paralyze you.
No SS for our kids

And remember, the corporations are in charge of our country, not the people.

FinanceDude said:
Trust noone
No SS for our kids
This list isn't much different from the one we grew up with! How about:
1. Find someone you can trust and spend the rest of your life with.
2., 3., 4. Good advice.
5. If this happens you'll have more important problems-- WWII only bigger. There won't be a peacetime-- it'll hurt the military more than it'll hurt the draftees.
6. There should always be a safety net for the poor/disabled. Hopefully you won't need it, but you'll be paying for it one way or another.

Zathras said:
I would say 'close'

Trust no politicians that prey on fear (which is all of them right now) or talk about the past as opposed to the future.

Terrorism is a fact of life, get used to it AND be prepared for it while not letting it paralyze you.
No SS for our kids

And remember, the corporations are in charge of our country, not the people.

I'd say "closer."

To "Be emotionally ready to be let go at any time for little or no reason" I'd add, and be vigilant for new and better opportunities. Don't let blind loyalty to an employer hamstring you.

peggy said:
I'd add, and be vigilant for new and better opportunities. Don't let blind loyalty to an employer hamstring you.

'Zackly. I view myself as a glorified contractor who has one client at a time.

Blind loyalty to any idea will hamstring you.
I took pride in helping my customers long after I had given up on my employer.

Nords said:
This list isn't much different from the one we grew up with! How about:
1. Find someone you can trust and spend the rest of your life with.
2., 3., 4. Good advice.
5. If this happens you'll have more important problems-- WWII only bigger. There won't be a peacetime-- it'll hurt the military more than it'll hurt the draftees.
6. There should always be a safety net for the poor/disabled. Hopefully you won't need it, but you'll be paying for it one way or another.

Thought I had.

I won't try again.
--------
I think there will be some sort of pseudo draft: prisoners, illegal aliens, people with no other possibility of a job.

brewer12345 said:
'Zackly. I view myself as a glorified contractor who has one client at a time.
So if you're a mercenary, does this mean you can deduct the cost of a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine?

True, but the chances that it will directly affect your life are almost zero.

soupcxan said:
So if you're a mercenary, does this mean you can deduct the cost of a subscription to Soldier of Fortune magazine?

Contractor, not mercenary.

One thing bothers me about your lists. When you list "The draft will be reinstated" it seems that you assume the electorate have no say over that. More and more these days I am dismayed that people talk about the government's actions on terrorism, defense, on social security, etc., etc., as if we don't have any control. It's really not true at all! We need to become much more fierce in making our government behave the way we want it too. We outnumber the corporations and we have the votes!

Oldbabe said:
as if we don't have any control. It's really not true at all! We need to become much more fierce and proactive in making our government behave the way we want it too. We outnumber the corporations and we have the votes!

Gosh, I wish you had not said "proactive". :)

You are dreaming. Besides, if it comes to a clash between
"corporations" and "the masses", I am with the corporations
every time. I understand where they are coming from.
The voters/people/masses/Joe Sixpack are all out there in looneyland.
I don't even recognize the planet they came from. You know this
is the straight "gen" as I am no longer part of the "elite" and so I can say
whatever I think (actually I always did). :)

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
The voters/people/masses/Joe Sixpack are all out there in looneyland.

Gee, Joe Sixpack is really out on a limb these days. Hated by the Neocons. Hated by the Liberal Elite. It's gotta be a tough life.......

HFWR said:
Yeah, but he's got a deer rifle, and knows how to use it... :bat:

Well, could be. Some are saying that if the disparity in wealth continues and grows, rich folks, both the politically liberal and conservative, may awake to find the masses at their gates. And maybe they will be carrying those deer rifles.

FinanceDude said:
I had a long talk with a buddy of mine. His wife was recently downsized, and he himself was downsized out of the blue several years ago. After awhile, we started talking about the world our sons will face in the future. Here is his take (a little cynical for me):

Trust noone
No SS for our kids

This guy is pretty upbeat usually...............wonder if that's a prevailing sentiment?

Kids should be taught to believe that their future is in their hands and if they accept this responsibility, they will be able to respond positively to whatever life hands them - and the unavoidable bumps in the road will not be big enough to derail them. There is simply zero value in being negative. :)

Arc said:
Kids should be taught to believe that their future is in their hands and if they accept this responsibility, they will be able to respond positively to whatever life hands them - and the unavoidable bumps in the road will not be big enough to derail them. There is simply zero value in being negative. :)

This is good stuff. I have trouble explaining this sometimes. I am a cynic
but not a pessimist. Big difference. I have unbounded 100% confidence in me
and what I can do. I expect most others to disappoint. So far, I am batting
close to 1.000 in this area. With regard to the negative views of FinanceDude's buddy,
he appears to be pretty depressed. It's a shame.

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
Besides, if it comes to a clash between
"corporations" and "the masses", I am with the corporations
every time.

JG

Hot flash for john galt.:

The only difference between you and the slob sleeping in the doorway is blind luck. You're not nearly as smart and superior as you think you are. Smug and complacent, yes.

I know whereof I speak. I was once a "It's all about me" Ayn Rand objectivist until I really needed help. That's when I learned about the true value of charity and mercy, two things you know nothing about.

Maybe, one day. After all, it happened to me. I was as big an ******* as you.

alphabet soup said:
Hot flash for john galt.:

The only difference between you and the slob sleeping in the doorway is blind luck. You're not nearly as smart and superior as you think you are. Smug and complacent, yes.

I know whereof I speak. I was once a "It's all about me" Ayn Rand objectivist until I really needed help. That's when I learned about the true value of charity and mercy, two things you know nothing about.

Maybe, one day. After all, it happened to me. I was as big an ******* as you.

Egad! Moderators, moderators........... :D

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
Egad! Moderators, moderators........... :D

JG

Sorry pal, I think the shoe alpha picked out for you fits AWFULLY well...

brewer12345 said:
Sorry pal, I think the shoe alpha picked out for you fits AWFULLY well...

No need to be "sorry" as I don't care one way or the other. That's the
truth.

JG

Back
Top Bottom