Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you changed your mind about a social issue as a result of what you have read or discussed on th
yes 16 26.67%
no 44 73.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Re: social issues
Old 09-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
. . . I read somewhere that our inclination to be either conservative or liberal is probably inherited, along with most aspects of personality. . .
The problem with that theory is that I know people from the same family (same parents) who are complete opposites on political views. I also know many people who change political perspective dramatically at some later point in their life.

Back when I took a course on voter behavior (many years ago), the sociologists and political scientists claimed that about 2/3 of US voters were unswerving in their devotion to a single party. It broke down approximately evenly between Dems and Reps. Actually Dems had a decided advantage, but higher voter apathy. So actual voting tended to be equally split between these groups. But about 1/3 of the voters switched their allegiance often. The results of this poll don't seem that far out of line with those results.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 AM   #22

Quote:
people who change political perspective dramatically at some later point in their life
Yep, don't they say a Republican is a Democrat who's had his wallet stolen?

You have to also look at the different axes (social liberalism/conservatism vs. economic lib./conserv.) as did one of the political "quantification" quizzes: http://politicalcompass.org/index

I had a pretty conservative dad, and that got me started out.. in opposition. Maybe if he'd been a hippie I've been a Young Conservative, who knows?* * My sister, OTOH keeps moving rightward! I think it's somewhat based on fear, and also the fact she has two young kids -- she's fried, and responds to the emotional components.

--
I can't say my mind has been changed by the forum, but as someone else said, my horizons have been broadened, and I've stood corrected on occasion.* I know some folks can do without the political discussions here, but I find them valuable; I check out a number of political sites (both left and right) and you tend to find just the "true believers." Here there are people from a range of political complexions and I appreciate that! I know some people say "I just want financial info" but money and choices are SO tied up in economics, which of course leads to politics, that it's hard not to have opinions about things one way or the other.

--
Sibling update:* ESCALATION.
2000-2002 she sends me links to Andrew Sullivan
2002-2004 llinks to the National Review
2004-2006 links to Hugh Hewitt
September 10, 2006: link to Michelle Malkin

It's official! She's jumped the shark.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wha?? No Ann Coulter? :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #24

Ann Coulter: proof that hair bleach destroys minds! And somebody feeed that beast--she looks half-starved, reminds me of a neglected mutt, all snarls and whimpers.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess I haven't caught Ann Coulter at her best. The only time I saw her on TV, she was looking pretty wild--big weird hardo, wide staring eyes, etc.--and she was accusing the widows of WTC attack of hogging the limelight. Flecks of lather were flying out of her mouth ...
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Those who truly wish to persuade generally succeed by introducing new information to the debate, or weaving a tight logical argument that just makes sense.
So far this hasn't worked for me on here............but I am still trying..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote