Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Social Security Again Again???
Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Puzzling! Are they saying nobody is poor?
Yeah, I agree. I didn't have time to look further when I saw that but will try to later today.
Quote:
* As defined by the Office of Management and Budget and updated for inflation using the Consumer Price Index, the average poverty threshold for a family of four in 2004 was an income of $19,307; for a family of three, $15,067; for a family of two, $12,334; and for unrelated individuals, $9,645.
[/i]
I know some sort of metric needs to be placed on levels of income vs. level of wealth or impoverishment. But, you really need to know the whole story on a person/family to know if they're going to have enough $$$ and cannot just look at income figures. I guess that's why they call these guideline income figures averages, some will justifiably need more to not be impoverished, some a little less.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, Martha ... want to place a bet on whether unemployment will increase if the minimum wage rises that much?

Markets are free or not free on a continuum ... just because there is no pure, free market from your perspective, doesn't mean embracing more government controls makes sense, or yields the intended results.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
OK, Martha ... want to place a bet on whether unemployment will increase if the minimum wage rises that much?

Markets are free or not free on a continuum ... just because there is no pure, free market from your perspective, doesn't mean embracing more government controls makes sense, or yields the intended results.
Man, I like this guy. He's a thinker.

JG
Old 11-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Man, I like this guy. He's a thinker.

JG
But he probably argues that tax cuts raise more money than they hand out.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Hey, didn't I also say increase unemployment benefits?

In fact, economists dispute amongst themselves the effect of an increase in minimum wage on employment and on low wage workers in the short term.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #26

I think the evidence is clear that most businesses will employ fewer workers when their marginal output is less than the marginal cost ... business owners that don't get this fact tend to go bankrupt.

And, increase unemployment benefits? Those come from business taxes, ultimately paid by consumers. Here come the liberals ... let's raise taxes. The Republicans did act like fools with their spending ... the Democrats will be no better. Give us a Democrat in the White House in 2008, plus a Democrat Congress, and we'll have a perfect storm for our retirement.

Retirement ... isn't that the point of this forum? Would it be wise for us to support prudent fiscal policy?
Old 11-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the evidence is clear that most businesses will employ fewer workers when their marginal output is less than the marginal cost ... business owners that don't get this fact tend to go bankrupt.
Citation, please.

Its been a while since I bothered reading journals catering to economists (ugh), but I seem to recall seeing several articles that suggested that minimum wage hikes didn't significantly increase unemployment. IIRC, the researchers hypothesized that since there weren't a lot of alternatives, employers mostly just sucked it up and paid. But as with everything else, it is nearly impossible to actually prove anything either way with econometrics.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #28

http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg18n1c.html I'm sure you won't like Cato, or any other source, but you can spend your own time doing more research, brewer.

Consider this ... if you think an increase in the minimum wage is so good, let's just force it to $100K per year.

Oh ... not many of those folks would be hired? I agree ... then we're just debating the amount at which this foolish policy becomes obviously idiotic, aren't we?

This is a typical Democrat sop for the uneducated. Sounds great, doesn't work. Typical liberal pablum.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg18n1c.html I'm sure you won't like Cato, or any other source, but you can spend your own time doing more research, brewer.
Pick a real academic source, not a gussied up PAC.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #30

Get off your butt and do your own homework.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Get off your butt and do your own homework.
http://www.epi.org/content.cfm/bp178

There is a growing view among economists that the minimum wage offers substantial benefits to low-wage workers without negative effect. Although there are still dissenters, the best recent research has shown that the job loss reported in earlier analyses does not, in fact, occur when the minimum wage is increased. There is little question that the overall impact of a minimum wage is positive, as the following facts make clear:. . . .

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

the temporary losses of the few would be far more than offset by the wage gains of the many

Yeah......but damn I hate it when I'm one of the few suffering losses so the many can benefit.....

That means there is going to need to be some kind of safety net, beyond normal unemployment benefits, Martha.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #33

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Economic Policy Institute or EPI is a progressive United States think tank based in Washington, D.C. and concerned with, as its name implies, the formulation of economic policy. It was established in 1986 by a group of economists including Jeff Faux, Barry Bluestone, Robert Kuttner, Ray Marshall, Robert Reich, and Lester Thurow. Its current president is Lawrence Mishel.

EPI states it was founded "to broaden the discussion about economic policy to include the interests of low- and middle-income workers," It states as its mission, "to provide high-quality research and education in order to promote a prosperous, fair, and sustainable economy." [5] The organization conducts research, makes policy recommendations, and disseminates its work through various channels, including books and studies, briefing papers, a printed journal, email newsletters and RSS feed.[6]

EPI is organized as an IRS Code Section 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and has a staff of about fifty, of whom about ten are Ph.D. researchers. Its board of directors consist largely of labor union officials.
We can cite sources all day long, and attack each on their biases.

But address the example ... it is quite logical a "minimum" wage must create challenges, since it interferes with a vibrant employment market. One can choose to ignore that reality in order to attempt to achieve some goal ... but it will always result in unintended, negative consequences.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #34

How many more illegal aliens will be hired to fill in the area below the minimum wage?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
How many more illegal aliens will be hired to fill in the area below the minimum wage?

Forecast based on econometrics.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

Forecast based on econometrics.
Sounds about right . . .

Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Speakling of illegals, is the new Dem Congress going to be able to stop the appropriation for building "the fence?"
Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Speakling of illegals, is the new Dem Congress going to be able to stop the appropriation for building "the fence?"
Hopefully. They should redirect it to fund "Spanish as a second language" classes in all the public schools.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Hopefully. They should redirect it to fund "Spanish as a second language" classes in all the public schools.
I vote more fence (double strand razor wire) over a much longer area,
plus more firepower (land mines are an idea). Hey, if the Dems get us out of Iraq, how about redeploying all of those troops to border patrol?
See, this stuff is really not that hard.

JG
Old 11-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #40

Quote:

Consider this ... if you think an increase in the minimum wage is so good, let's just force it to $100K per year.

Oh ... not many of those folks would be hired? I agree ... then we're just debating the amount at which this foolish policy becomes obviously idiotic, aren't we?

This is a typical Democrat sop for the uneducated. Sounds great, doesn't work. Typical liberal pablum.
Charles............you rock! Excellent stuff!

JG

Tags
social security