Social Security and Passport cards

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does Social Security accept the Passport Card as proof of citizenship? Or must one bring in a Passport Book?

Has anybody used a Passport card with SS?

I need to get a new SS card, and the sight says a Passport is needed to prove my identity. It is silent on the use of a Passport Card.

I have no idea! Maybe you could ask at your local SS office.

I still have my original SS card from 1965, laminated and carefully tucked away in a drawer. I don't think I have ever been asked for it, though, not even once. For most purposes, my birth certificate and driver's license suffice.

I still have my original SS card from 1965, laminated and carefully tucked away in a drawer. I don't think I have ever been asked for it, though, not even once.

Me too, although mine is from 1963.

On a side note, when I signed up for the card way back then I used my nickname rather than my legal first name (think Jimmy rather than James). I've always wondered if it might turn out to be a problem but it never has - not when I signed up for the military, work, social security benefits or Medicare. My SS and Medicare payments all go to "Jimmy Wahoo" even though I've never used that nickname on any legal document since 1963.

Does Social Security accept the Passport Card as proof of citizenship? Or must one bring in a Passport Book?

Has anybody used a Passport card with SS?

I need to get a new SS card, and the sight says a Passport is needed to prove my identity. It is silent on the use of a Passport Card.

Are you able to get a replacement SS card online? I did that a couple of years ago and it came in the mail about 10 days later. As I recall, I had to answer a couple of questions like "which address did you live at 23 years ago" to setup my SS online account. They get those questions from the credit bureaus, so if your credit is frozen, you'd need to unfreeze it temporarily.

If you're not able to do it online, then a passport card "should" work since it's Real ID compliant and is supposed to be valid for establishing identity to any federal entity.

Are you able to get a replacement SS card online? I did that a couple of years ago and it came in the mail about 10 days later. As I recall, I had to answer a couple of questions like "which address did you live at 23 years ago" to setup my SS online account. They get those questions from the credit bureaus, so if your credit is frozen, you'd need to unfreeze it temporarily.

If you're not able to do it online, then a passport card "should" work since it's Real ID compliant and is supposed to be valid for establishing identity to any federal entity.
They have an online replacement service but I couldn't get it to work for me. When I called them they told me my records were too old - the system they use for online replacements only goes back to the 80s or something. My lost card goes back to the early 60s. They said if I had replaced it within the window I would be in the system and could do it again online.

They have an online replacement service but I couldn't get it to work for me. When I called them they told me my records were too old - the system they use for online replacements only goes back to the 80s or something. My lost card goes back to the early 60s. They said if I had replaced it within the window I would be in the system and could do it again online.

My SS card was also originally issued in the early '60s ... maybe changing my last name in the '80s was enough to get me into the modern system.

I still have my original SS card from 1965, laminated and carefully tucked away in a drawer.

If you think you might EVER need it, you might want to consider getting a replacement. DW and I have both needed to show our SS cards at the driver's license facilities in two different states at various times, and both states were adamant that they would not accept a laminated card. So we had to go through the drill of getting replacement SS cards. Not difficult, but kind of annoying.

We both still have our original, laminated cards, but they're only good as curiosities these days.

I am also among the miscreants and people of suspicion who cannot get my SS card replaced without a visit to the SS office. [emoji47]

I am also among the miscreants and people of suspicion who cannot get my SS card replaced without a visit to the SS office. [emoji47]

I can give you a tip about that. It makes no difference which office you go to, so find the most rural office you can easily drive to. Just show up (Tuesday through Thursday would be best) and take a number. I've done this at least half a dozen times in the last 15 years, and never had to wait more than 20 to 30 minutes.

On occasion, they may say you should have gone to another office that's in your own neighborhood, but just say it was too hard to get there and they will drop it. :cool:

Replaced my SS card about a month ago (haven't seen the original in years). Wanted to get my RealID Drivers License (MO finally got a system in place), and needed the card. I used my passport (don't have a passport card).

Went to the closest office. Wait time was reasonable (maybe 40 minutes? at the most). Service time was quick and efficient. Got the new card less than a week later.

One thing with the new RealID system: When DW got hers they advised to make sure the same name is used on all Gov't forms, or it could cause a red flag.

DW had originally hypenated her last name with mine, but since both names were so long, it was just easier to use the maiden name as the middle name, using an initial, and then add mine. Over the years she probably had 4-5 variations that she used.

No big deal, except we had an issue with the insurance verification last year, requiring her to change the name to conform with tax records.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom