Join Early Retirement Today

Social Security Info Help Please
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Social Security Info Help Please

Hi folks. So when I start collecting Social Security payments, how much more can I make from a part time job or existing retirement account? Say my monthly amount from Soc Sec is $2235.00. Can I take another $2050.00 or so from my retirement account to along with the soc sec payments? Or will that cause me problems and have to pay some back in? I want to stretch the funds in my retirement account and use the social security payments before something happens and the government takes more of them or something. If you know if my plans will work okay, please do let me know. I do not need any investment advice. Just looking for a plain basic helpful answer please. Thanks much folks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html answers your questions about the part-time job. It depends on just how old you are what your limit is on wages before you start reducing your SS benefits. Could start at $17,640.

No limit on taking from your retirement account. You may want to look how much the SS tax hump or tax torpedo will affect your taxes as more other income causes more SS to be taxed.

RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html answers your questions about the part-time job. It depends on just how old you are what your limit is on wages before you start reducing your SS benefits. Could start at $17,640.

No limit on taking from your retirement account. You may want to look how much the SS tax hump or tax torpedo will affect your taxes as more other income causes more SS to be taxed.

Thanks for the info Running Burn. I understood that Soc Sec payments are not taxable at all. So I need to understand the Tax Torpedo thing. I will be 66 when I start taking Soc Sec payments.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanV View Post
I understood that Soc Sec payments are not taxable at all. So I need to understand the Tax Torpedo thing.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html explains the taxes. The easiest way to see the effect is to run difference scenarios with your tax program or something like tax caster.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/taxes.html explains the taxes. The easiest way to see the effect is to run difference scenarios with your tax program or something like tax caster.

Thanks much!!!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanV View Post
Hi folks. So when I start collecting Social Security payments, how much more can I make from a part time job or existing retirement account?
Once you are at or older than your FRA, your income won't affect your social security benefits at all. You can earn as much as you choose.