Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I bought one of these, and I have to tell you I think the light switch light is a stupid idea for a light.

The problem with it, is you are looking at the switch and turn it on. BLINDING LIGHT is what you get since it's so natural to look towards the switch as you turn it on.

It's such a bad idea, that when I was next in Harbor freight and had a coupon for a FREE one, I didn't get it.
I have a different take on these and I have a number (free with coupon). It is true that it is blindingly bright, but the key is to quit looking at the light.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

These battery powered motion detecting LED lights work great. We have several both outside and inside our home.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

The sound, motion sensor, and remote to put in the outlet, and tritium to hang from the pull cord, are ideas I had not thought of, and will add them to the list to investigate.
Grew up in a tenement building with no wall switches only pull chains, the glow on he dark ends where the best thing since sliced bread when we got them.

https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Ceiling-.../dp/B078ZJBJLX
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

You don't need to be able to turn that light on in the dark. You need to be able to turn on a light in the dark. Mount one of those stick on battery lights by the entrance where you'd normally find a light switch, and turn that on as you enter so you can find the cord. If you don't trust the battery lights, run an extension cord around from behind the cabinets and plug in a similar light, or a night light.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I've read some overly complicated solutions. If the room is rarely used, simply screw a motion sensor light into the socket. It takes 20 seconds, no wiring has to be done, and the light will turn on when you enter and turn off when you leave the room.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

this is what i would use - a socketed cord with an integrated on off switch.

https://smile.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Ex...V3XGWF1T2YMZKK

Lots of these on amazon with different options. Simple, nothing to break and no batteries to replace, and no wiring required.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
It amazes me the breadth of solutions suggested. At some time in my life, I have used all of them. I have had limited success with motion sensors. In my workshop, I was often still enough to have it turn off. I like the always on LED night light that turns off when the light is on. I switched all our night lights to that type.

When my youngest son was a teenager, he would turn on every light and TV and then leave. So I had to revert to motion sensors. "All the lights on but nobody home!"
Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

From amazon... key chain flashlights...pack of 10 led for about $6. including shipping.
I've been using similar lights on my keys, for years. At the price, one for the glove compartment, dark closets, the kitchen utensil drawer, reading instructions in a dim light, etc..
All kinds, all prices. Worth a look and maybe an add-on to your next order.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #49

Funny how often we look for some new technology to fix a problem that was solved many decades ago. This was already mentioned earlier. Simply extend the pull string to the entrance door. I have one tied to the studs just inside the entrance to our crawl space. I reach up and tug at the line. No fumbling to find the end of a string. No ensuring that I have a key light with me. No motion sensors to try and trigger or to time out. No facy radiation glow-in-the dark string fobs to deal with. It works every time and has been fault-free for over 13 years now. Who knows how many years it was in service before we bought the house. It probably will still be working when I am long gone.

Sometimes simplicity IS the answer. It is for us. YMMV.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Solution installed with DW's testing approval. Remote control outlet sensor that the shop light is now plugged into, with remote mounted on wall at the entrance to that section of the basement. Easy push button on/off to control the light in the area.

Thanks again for all of the ideas - this one works best for us!
Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Funny how often we look for some new technology to fix a problem that was solved many decades ago. This was already mentioned earlier. Simply extend the pull string to the entrance door. I have one tied to the studs just inside the entrance to our crawl space. I reach up and tug at the line. No fumbling to find the end of a string. No ensuring that I have a key light with me. No motion sensors to try and trigger or to time out. No facy radiation glow-in-the dark string fobs to deal with. It works every time and has been fault-free for over 13 years now. Who knows how many years it was in service before we bought the house. It probably will still be working when I am long gone.

Sometimes simplicity IS the answer. It is for us. YMMV.
Sometimes this is not simple. It only works if the string is a straight or pretty straight pull. Also the OP said it was quite some distance from the entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Solution installed with DW's testing approval. Remote control outlet sensor that the shop light is now plugged into, with remote mounted on wall at the entrance to that section of the basement. Easy push button on/off to control the light in the area.

Thanks again for all of the ideas - this one works best for us!
Glad you found a solution that works for you.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote