Some advice.........what would you do?

I'd have the wife grin and bear it. Perhaps she could even emotionally disassociate herself, become a clock watcher, work-to-rule type knowing they can't can her within 24 months. (assuming that's correct). Transfer request might be good as well, or just documenting some of her boss' behavior and taking it to HR, along with her transfer request.

Of course you haven't told us the impact of 2 years on her DB plan, I'm assuming its significant.

If it is significant, you might calculate the effective daily rate she's earning in the next 24 months and maybe that'll help her deal.

thanks, everyone

I want to thank all of you for your kind, wise words. After long, heartfelt discussions between the two of us, I think we'll try to stick it out. But, we'll reevaluate early next year, as we get a bit closer to our goal. I'm pretty sure the DW can't make it the entire way, however. Me, I think they'll cashier me, no matter what. I'm an old fart in a young man's business; my costs are too high compared to the 30-somethings. I'm 10 years older than my boss and 15 years older than his boss. Hopefully, I can negotiate a small severance plus UI to bridge the final gap, since I know where all of the skeletons are buried around here.

Btw, we are doing a line item by line item review of our expenses to see if we can pare it down a bit. But, we've been pretty frugal and there's not much to cut. At least no "low-hanging" fruit. God, don't you hate those ridiculous statements.

If we can make it another year or so we'll be at 18x+ expenses with about 50% (our total austerity budget) of our FIRE expenses already covered by SS/pensions. I'm thinking that'll be good enough and we'll pull the proverbial ripcord. Though, I hate to leave that defined benefit pension on the table. We will buy a few years of service; 5 or so. It's a great deal, approx. 7% cola'd return. However, I'll trade it for a few extra years of good health with the DW. Thanks again for all of your responses........the last few years have been quite a ride. At least I won't miss the work environment; there certainly won't be any regrets upon leaving the zoo for the last time.................:greetings10:

One lesson that is in one of my favorite business books is that you are only as free as your well developed alternatives. If you can't cut your budget or stick it out at the current jobs, then another option is to go back to school evenings and weekends, take a year off to retool, and/or work towards some certification for a job you might enjoy, could do consulting, be self employed or learn a trade you could do part time to make up your retirement shortfall. If it is something you enjoy it won't seem like work.

We have a couple of businesses and I always keep researching back up plans just in case. DH is going to school for something now that will save us having to hire outside expertise, and he could do that as a part time career, with me joining in, if the current businesses stopped making money.

Last edited:
Sounds like typical workplaces at times. Suck it up, make money as long as it is worth it, and pull the rip cord when you can't stand it any more. You're set up pretty well and will probably land on your feet.

Me, I think they'll cashier me, no matter what. I'm an old fart in a young man's business; my costs are too high compared to the 30-somethings. I'm 10 years older than my boss and 15 years older than his boss. Hopefully, I can negotiate a small severance plus UI to bridge the final gap, since I know where all of the skeletons are buried around here.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but it is typical.

I want to say you have to learn not to care. You grew in the old culture and care a lot. Forget it. It is over. Learn to not care. I'm talking about the corp, not your employees.

Hell, tell them the truth in whispers. Care for them as much as you can, but make it known your hands are tied.

So what will your bosses do? Fire you? If so, so what. You've almost quit anyway. They'll probably give you a package of some sort anyway.

I'm still at my megacorp after massive culture shifts. Five years ago I created my own personal hell because I cared so much. I learned to let it go. I care about everything else except mega. Does that make my work fun? Or do I have passion? No. But I also don't have pain. Sounds sterile, but it worked for me.

Thanks, JoeWRas. My DW had been nagging, I mean telling me, the same thing. And from experience, I know she's much smarter and astute than I've ever been. I'm just too much "old school", actually give a damn if they add inefficiency which will ultimately outsource the business. it's happened to me before, several times, btw.

Great quote (modified just slightly) from Dilbert, that I repeat here (regardless of breaking some copyright laws):

"Middle Management is the Glue that Binds Apathy with Unreasonable Expectations/Vague Objectives.

I guess I need to unstick myself and move towards the apathetic side eh? Thanks again for the comments.:nonono:

Just an update

Well, back at the forum for an update to our situation, thanks to all of you that gave us some different ideas. We tried to hang on, but it was impossible, the damage was already done.
Well, they "cashiered" me after my health got to the point I was almost dysfunctional. I did manage to eek out a 8 week severance package after some veiled threats, since my "replacement" was 20 years my junior. After a few calls around, I got a less stressful job making 20% more money, better benefits, etc. It appears the megaCorp's pay wasn't quite up to market standards, eh? They truly suck.
As for the DW, we're pulling the plug on her employment sooner than later. It's truly affecting her mental state and now being off a bit, it's clear to me she needs a break. Firecalc now has us <1 year for FIRE at 95% success rates. I'll probably work 2-3 years or more, if the job seems to be as good as it does at this moment. It's all starting to smell like roses, once again. Good luck to all of you, thanks for your input.:LOL:

Well that is great news about the new job. Glad it worked out for you.

Wow I love the part about getting a 20% pay bump. You do wonder what the young folks were getting. Jobs have honeymoon periods also, and it sound like your in an ideal position to work until the honeymoon is over, but well before the if I don't get a divorce I am kill someone phase sets in.

I would volunteer for the RIF and layoff (cha-ching, cha-ching)... then signup for your share of the never ending unemployment bennies (cha-ching again). The FIRE "gap" will not be THAT wide ....

Sounds to me like the benefit of getting out outweighs.

Well that is great news about the new job. Glad it worked out for you.
+1

One of you quitting now may reduce some of the stress you both are bringing home, and that way you'll make it to the point where you reach FI.

Last edited:
Well, they "cashiered" me after my health got to the point I was almost dysfunctional. I did manage to eek out a 8 week severance package after some veiled threats, since my "replacement" was 20 years my junior. After a few calls around, I got a less stressful job making 20% more money, better benefits, etc. It appears the megaCorp's pay wasn't quite up to market standards, eh? They truly suck.
As for the DW, we're pulling the plug on her employment sooner than later. It's truly affecting her mental state and now being off a bit, it's clear to me she needs a break. Firecalc now has us <1 year for FIRE at 95% success rates...

Thank you so much for the update. What a great development for you both.

Back
Top Bottom