Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Some people just dont get it...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shoot Tom, I wish Justin had said that because I agree with it.

But the point is, heres a young guy who had everything going for him. Just has to play football for 3-4 more years and he's financially set for life. He likes getting high, but knows if he does, it'll be detected by his now required regular monthly drug tests. I'm sure a lot of people here have smoked a little pot (but of course we didnt inhale). I dont recall any physical addiction, if by recall you mean have read about it a lot but of course never tried it myself (we need an emoticon that shows the face I make when I'm saying something completely preposterous but trying to keep sounding credible).

Whats worse, 2 years ago he totally derailed his team, whose offensive approach completely relied on a player of his caliber at his position. A team with a shot to win big fell into the gutter. Bad planning on the coaches behalf, but when you have the best running back in the league and you're soft in a lot of other spots, its probably not the worst idea to feature him. Coach got fired. Free agents might have lowered miami as a great place to play. Fans didnt buy tickets.

Then he spends the offseason telling the media every 7 1/2 minutes during interviews he practically creates how he wants to be left alone.

Then he plays again, does reasonably well, looks to have fixed up his stuff and maybe get back on track. A few teams are even thinking he's got his **** together and might trade for him.

Sounds like its time to spark one up!

It seems to me Ricky's life can be summed up in one sentence. I'm an extremely talented guy who likes attention, doesnt really want to play football, and doesnt care about anyone else that depends on me.

At least at this point I'm fairly sure nobody else will go out on a limb for him, and except for a "where are they now" spot 5-10 years from now, his media life is also over.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Rumor has it the substance is not marijuana, but a substance "previously unknown". Hmmm.

Also, confirmed that he still owes the dolphins $8.6M.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
At least at this point I'm fairly sure nobody else will go out on a limb for him, and except for a "where are they now" spot 5-10 years from now, his media life is also over.
Hey, maybe it's not too late for him to join the Dennis Rodman fan club...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

RW's actios strike me as "less than bright", BWDIK? Any poster who has ever been a top talent in a major league sport let us know...

As far as doob goes, I'm not sure I find it all that attractive, but the stance of the feddle gummint on this plant has always struck me as foolish. Then again, I tend to think the same thing about huge military budgets, so you know I'm not really a good Merkin.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

His choices are retarded if his priorities are football and his finances, but if they aren't, his choices are totally legit if you ask me.

The laws and rules work for most people and really limit other people. *What if we just let him smoke all he wants until it hampers him in some way, we'd learn more about marijuana that way and he would learn more about himself. *Instead, we are out a great football player and have robbed him of his credibility and ability to show us that marijuana is probably one of the least harmful things in our society. *This isn't Nate Newton and his rebelling for shits, giggles, and easy money, this is a dude who doesn't mind sitting around in his own house and lighting up a doobie. *At the end of the day, the guy is still one of the most athletic talents in the league and like the snowboarders who lost their medals, being almost cheated for having a different lifestyle.

This isn't steroids, where others would literally have to hurt themselves to keep up, it is pot, and shame on our society for making rules so that we don't have to think anymore. *This is the same reason why wars are fought over religion, because the wording that is put in place is regarded more heavily than personal thought, reflection, compassion, and experience.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Let me go out on a little limb here as far as the harmfulness, at least by one measure.

I have my social security statement in my hand, showing my total income for each year i was employed.

For about a 4 year period in the 80's I 'enjoyed' a passing dalliance with some controlled substances. Mostly pot. You can see my income growing at a pretty sharp rate right up until the first year of that period. Then it practically stops for the 3 years. Then it takes off again.

One of the tools I planned to use to educate my son about the relative 'harmlessness' of some drugs. It made me lazy and want to tread water. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

That having been said, it makes me absolutely balookers when I see some fictional tv show or even some news stories that go from "he smoked some pot, and then killed someone!" or "the bank robber may have been abusing marijuana for several months before committing the crime".

Lets be real. Smoke a J and you want to order pizza, watch tv, then go to sleep.

As far as it being a gateway drug, again I think cause and effect are somewhat screwed up. If you're amenable to trying pot, you're amenable to trying other stuff. That after smoking pot that MAKES you more amenable to trying other stuff? I dont think so.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Let me go out on a little limb here as far as the harmfulness, at least by one measure.

I have my social security statement in my hand, showing my total income for each year i was employed.

For about a 4 year period in the 80's I 'enjoyed' a passing dalliance with some controlled substances.* Mostly pot.* You can see my income growing at a pretty sharp rate right up until the first year of that period.* Then it practically stops for the 3 years.* Then it takes off again.

One of the tools I planned to use to educate my son about the relative 'harmlessness' of some drugs.* It made me lazy and want to tread water.* Not that theres anything wrong with that.
Hmmm, I guess I am loathe to say too much, since I never had a similar "dalliance" (never had time, mostly). But I can't help but think that all we really know is that it makes *you* "lazy and want to tread water." Pretty hard to extrapolate to the general population.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I can say with great authority that it made everyone I know lazy and want to tread water.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can say with great authority that it made everyone I know lazy and want to tread water.
But we you in an, um, unimpaired enough state to really be able to tell?

- Will Rogers
Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

(cough, cough). My unscientific sampling (half dozen friends and I) indicates there is a correlation between pot smoke and academic performance (I was in college during my "run" of lettuce burning). Basically, we all flunked a bunch of classes shortly after beginning our use - oh wait, one friend managed to still do well in class, but he was an art major.

I think there is a question of causality, chicken or the egg, as it were. Did we smoke pot because we felt like being lazy and checking out, or did we get lazy and check out because we smoked pot?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Only thing I can say for sure about that herb is that it really makes you enjoy roast pork. I don't really remember anything about swimming pool behavior.

Ha
Old 02-21-2006, 05:21 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes smoking pot and flunking classes is the best thing you can do for yourself at a given time in life.

I think not having enough ways to hurt ourselves just makes us big fat babies, which is basically the joke in a lot of other countries.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Just the opposite for me; helped me to concentrate!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote