Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never gets to the point, or takes longer than you prefer to get to the point?

The first is related to information processing styles. Although I've learned to tell my stories "bottom line up front," my preferred style is to work through the story as it happened to me.

The second...errr, maybe it's a way of putting off saying something that must be said, yet may not be well received?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, what do you do when your spouse talks to much and never gets around to the point? An example, "I got hit by a car today" gets conveyed as "I got up to go to work and was feeling great until ....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, what do you do when your spouse talks to much and never gets around to the point?
Try giving thanks that she considers you a person worthy of communicating with.

I see old people talking to pigeons. They would be thrilled to have someone take too long to get around to the point.

Anyway, it is hard for a man to be sure that he really knows that here is just one point, and that he know just what it is, as she sees and feels it. Maybe the real point is "I need more interaction and feeling of being understood."

One thing I can say with confidence, making her feel accepted and understood is about the most helpful thing that a man can ever learn about pleasing women.

Ha
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How did you handle the situation?
In the car I just drove and didn't say anything. On the ride I dropped back so I didn't hear the constant droning (e.g. picture 5).

Quote:
Was it her first time with the group (since you didn't talk about her previously)?
Yes. My wife had asked whether she was fast, and the friend had said "Yes, and she's also a very chatty rider."
Old 09-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One thing I can say with confidence, making her feel accepted and understood is about the most helpful thing that a man can ever learn about pleasing women.

Ha
You have such a way of making people feel beautiful, interesting, important, wanted, and desirable. I hope you have someone in your life who makes you feel the same way.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
Another praise for your post. You are one in a million.....
Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Ha
I'm with Purron and BBAMI, this is the best thing any man can do for a woman.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I see old people talking to pigeons. They would be thrilled to have someone take too long to get around to the point.

Ha
These pigeons are standing three on top of each other to listen to this guy; can you read the green sign?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7227.jpg (846.6 KB, 47 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Guys, listen up! Ha knows what he's talking about. He really understands women. Thanks Ha!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Guys, listen up! Ha knows what he's talking about. He really understands women. Thanks Ha!

Not only does he understand but he's cute for an older dude !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

This has become my favorite thread. Please submit your bills by PM.

However, in the interest of a minimal degree of honesty, I should admit that too often I know how I should act, but don't necessarily do so.

Anyway, thanks for the kind statements!

Ha
Old 09-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Looks like a great place to ride Al. I was going to suggest dropping back and enjoying the solitude but I see you did that. We often ride and travel with a chatterbox and her husband (who is also a dentist - maybe the dentists like that since they spend all day with patients who can't talk). Interestingly DW and I both enjoy her non-stop patter. But I imagine it would drive many people nuts.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe we should do a thread on people's voices that sound like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

suspect it works the other way 'round as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurBall View Post
I'm with Purron and BBAMI, this is the best thing any man can do for a woman.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But not: I understand that you're a bitch, and I accept it.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

She sounds very insecure and, therefore, anxiety ridden to me. Poor gal. She'd probably die of embarrassment if she really knew how she was coming across to you.

And I agree with haha on this one.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

My accounting teacher, who is a 50-year-old male, also talks non-stop. He drives me nuts in class. He would talk for 5 minutes about some football player's finger that got broken, just because it's the start of football season. Or 10 minutes about why we should all go to the gym more. 60% of what he says has absolutely NOTHING to do with accounting.

A few other students I've talked to are considering switching classes because it's so hard to learn anything from this class. He just babbles on and on. It's a stream of consciousness that never gets to any destination.

I seriously think it's a mental illness, albeit mild. He has no control over his words. It's like he is possessed and cannot help but say whatever is coming out of his mouth.

He admitted that his girlfriend was happy he was teaching this class, because now at least she can get a few hours of peace every week. It's sad.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

It appears that this woman is extremely talkative but not domineering. My MIL was the latter and became very talkative after retiring. They moved to a lake when she retired, we gave FIL a paddle-boat as a fishing platform. That was his retreat as MIL couldn't sit still and she spooked the trout.

Husband is still very sensitive to wifely direction.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
sit still and she spooked the trout.

Husband is still very sensitive to wifely direction.
Do you mean that he responds as desired with little impetus from you, or that he really doesn't cotton to this sort of help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But not: I understand that you're a bitch, and I accept it.
True enough. This method requires that you also learn "brightsiding".

With women, this seems OK, as they will almost always start talking about what is really on their minds. But I think this might not work well when applied to men, as some men seem willing to talk forever in various harangues about what they mistakenly believe to be the external world.

Ha
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
maybe the dentists like that since they spend all day with patients who can't talk
The comic possibilities of which have been exploited by the British comics, Armstrong and Miller. There's a whole series of sketches, almost all NSFW.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Lena and I went on a nice bike trip yesterday (photos here), and one of the women who came (the one on the left in the first photo), talked non-stop. In the car, on the bikes, in the car on the way home.

She would talk in a slow way, but kind of filling up all the spaces so that no one else could interrupt. Instead of saying "...her husband was a dentist at a prison..." she would say "...her husband was a dentist at the, what was it called, Abluta prison I think it was, but they called it the Abluta men's colony or something like that..."

It was very tiring. Do you think she talks that much with her husband?
While the woman was talking, did she at least pause so she could Text someone else before resuming talking again? Just kidding.

p.s. Nice photos of the bike trip.