Some Random Thoughts on Turning 50

My 50th birthday picture

Last edited:
Gumby, this a lovely lovely post; thanks or sharing.

Gumby, one more thing - this post is so wonderful and so well written, I think you should try to get it published; I will share with my husband.

Gumby gave US a birthday present!

That was wonderful for you to share with us.
I never sat and put my thoughts together like you did. I am totally on your wavelength with the "1st, 2nd, 3rd, and finally" thoughts.
TY for an unintended and belated 50th birthday present (4 months ago).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Live long and prosper.
\\//
\__

Gumby, that said many of my own thoughts when I retired. I can say that I did what I set out to do at 18 (made a difference in my corner of the world) and was a bit lost at retirement.

Third, be kind to those you meet. There are so many people in this world struggling under terrible loads, most of which we cannot see. Treat everyone with respect and gentleness, try not to judge them, and help them when you can. A smile and a kind word cost you nothing, but may be the very thing someone needs to make it through the day.

Where I'm working now, in the evenings I see so many people struggling to make ends meet. People in their 60's cleaning offices at night, who will have SS for retirement income and that's it. Nice people, who for whatever reasons just didn't have the opportunities or means to have a better life, make me realize how fortunate we are to have a paid-for home in a golf course community that is, like you, nicer than either DW or I ever dreamed we'd be living in.

It is easy to say that "everyone has the same 24 hours in a day" but real life isn't that simple. So I go out of my way to be polite to them, and learn their names and their children's names and their dog's names.

Third, be kind to those you meet. There are so many people in this world struggling under terrible loads, most of which we cannot see. Treat everyone with respect and gentleness, try not to judge them, and help them when you can. A smile and a kind word cost you nothing, but may be the very thing someone needs to make it through the day.

I drive as a volunteer for the DAV trans network. When I see one of the vets feeling a little blue, I do my best to ask them what's on their mind without prying. Most of my passengers are in their mid to late 80s, live alone in assisted living facilities, and are dealing with all sorts of health issues. Sometimes all it takes to dispel their otherwise gloomy day is a smile. Sometimes they talk to get stuff off their chest, sometimes not. Their choice.
My best reward is to get a smile and maybe a wink when I let them use my shoulder or arm for balance so they can safely step down off the van. I get their walker all set up, and totally fuss over them to get them started to their door. Priceless!

Happy birthday. I won't be as eloquent as you so I will just say what Gumby said.

My uncle died this past week at 89. At his funeral, I found out so many things about him that I had never known - he drew maps in WWII for the Army Corp of Engineers as they were conquering Europe; he was a woodworker, photographer, clockmaker, an artist, he built his own house with his own two hands with no prior experience. He helped to build the church that his funeral was held at. He won the Silver Beaver award, the highest award for adult leaders in the Boy Scouts - apparently, one could never seek this award, it was only given to those who selflessly gave of themselves to the Scouts without desiring the award.

I thought he was a nice, decent man that I really liked as a little kid and would see him at holidays, but I had no idea about all this stuff about him. It was like hearing about the life of someone 200 years ago, who accomplished so much with no formal education, just his own myriad interests.

Excellent post. Thank you and Happy Belated Birthday. You sound like a special person.

Finally, remember that the things you do and the people you meet are more important than the things you have. Gumby

Great words to live by. Yours is the most riveting post I've read on this board. Thanks and happy birthday, Gumby!

Happy belated birthday, Gumby, and thanks for sharing your thoughts - your last thoughts about being kind are spot on - I always think "there but for the grace of God go I," and give the benefit of the doubt.

Good thinking Gumby and thanks for sharing.

I think you will find the next 50 years equally rewarding...

Back
Top Bottom