Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
Administrator

Thank you all for your kind words and birthday wishes. It has been a very good day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #22
Administrator

Good post Gumby - Happy birthday
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Live long and prosper.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

That was a fun read and timely since I also turned 50 last October. Always healthy to reflect and put things in perspective especially during these turbulent times.

The only thing I would add is to somehow maintain a small part of that youthful exuberance you had as a kid. For me that has always been thru water sports (in my case sailing/windsurfing/kiteboarding). This was a couple of weeks ago in the FL Keys. When I'm on the water playin and jumpin the worries of the day fade away and all is right with the world
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bdoff2.jpg (27.5 KB, 4 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

G--

I have never ever finished reading an OP that was obviously as long as yours. Your OP was the first......got hooked and just kept going to the end and was happy I started. Anyone ever tell you that you should be a writer? Or a graduation speaker?
Thanks!
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My 50th birthday picture
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Too bad about your head injury...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #28

Gumby, this a lovely lovely post; thanks or sharing.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #29

Gumby, one more thing - this post is so wonderful and so well written, I think you should try to get it published; I will share with my husband.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Gumby gave US a birthday present!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

That was wonderful for you to share with us.
I never sat and put my thoughts together like you did. I am totally on your wavelength with the "1st, 2nd, 3rd, and finally" thoughts.
TY for an unintended and belated 50th birthday present (4 months ago).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
Live long and prosper.
\\//
\__
Old 01-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #32

Gumby, that said many of my own thoughts when I retired. I can say that I did what I set out to do at 18 (made a difference in my corner of the world) and was a bit lost at retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Third, be kind to those you meet. There are so many people in this world struggling under terrible loads, most of which we cannot see. Treat everyone with respect and gentleness, try not to judge them, and help them when you can. A smile and a kind word cost you nothing, but may be the very thing someone needs to make it through the day.
Where I'm working now, in the evenings I see so many people struggling to make ends meet. People in their 60's cleaning offices at night, who will have SS for retirement income and that's it. Nice people, who for whatever reasons just didn't have the opportunities or means to have a better life, make me realize how fortunate we are to have a paid-for home in a golf course community that is, like you, nicer than either DW or I ever dreamed we'd be living in.

It is easy to say that "everyone has the same 24 hours in a day" but real life isn't that simple. So I go out of my way to be polite to them, and learn their names and their children's names and their dog's names.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Third, be kind to those you meet. There are so many people in this world struggling under terrible loads, most of which we cannot see. Treat everyone with respect and gentleness, try not to judge them, and help them when you can. A smile and a kind word cost you nothing, but may be the very thing someone needs to make it through the day.

I drive as a volunteer for the DAV trans network. When I see one of the vets feeling a little blue, I do my best to ask them what's on their mind without prying. Most of my passengers are in their mid to late 80s, live alone in assisted living facilities, and are dealing with all sorts of health issues. Sometimes all it takes to dispel their otherwise gloomy day is a smile. Sometimes they talk to get stuff off their chest, sometimes not. Their choice.
My best reward is to get a smile and maybe a wink when I let them use my shoulder or arm for balance so they can safely step down off the van. I get their walker all set up, and totally fuss over them to get them started to their door. Priceless!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Happy birthday. I won't be as eloquent as you so I will just say what Gumby said.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My uncle died this past week at 89. At his funeral, I found out so many things about him that I had never known - he drew maps in WWII for the Army Corp of Engineers as they were conquering Europe; he was a woodworker, photographer, clockmaker, an artist, he built his own house with his own two hands with no prior experience. He helped to build the church that his funeral was held at. He won the Silver Beaver award, the highest award for adult leaders in the Boy Scouts - apparently, one could never seek this award, it was only given to those who selflessly gave of themselves to the Scouts without desiring the award.

I thought he was a nice, decent man that I really liked as a little kid and would see him at holidays, but I had no idea about all this stuff about him. It was like hearing about the life of someone 200 years ago, who accomplished so much with no formal education, just his own myriad interests.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great post - I read every word twice.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #37

Excellent post. Thank you and Happy Belated Birthday. You sound like a special person.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Finally, remember that the things you do and the people you meet are more important than the things you have. Gumby
Great words to live by. Yours is the most riveting post I've read on this board. Thanks and happy birthday, Gumby!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #39

Happy belated birthday, Gumby, and thanks for sharing your thoughts - your last thoughts about being kind are spot on - I always think "there but for the grace of God go I," and give the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Good thinking Gumby and thanks for sharing.

I think you will find the next 50 years equally rewarding...