Some truth to people who think we can be 100% renewable

For some applications like EV and home storage, there's nothing to replace Li-Ion battery now. With insulation and all that heat management, can you fit one molten-metal battery in a car? Do you want to drive one? :)

The molten-metal battery promises to be a cheaper solution for bulk storage, and that still has to be proven. Who knows? But from the little bit that I found on the Web, it is not easy. Somewhere, I saw that the voltage from each cell is only 0.9V. It takes many cells to have a usable voltage, and that means you do not simply have a giant bath of molten metals and call it done. You need multiple containers of hot metals to have electrical isolation of the cells from one another. Looks like a daunting task to me. I am glad people are willing to tackle things like this.

About hydro dams, they serve a different purpose out here in the West, compared to places where water is abundant such as the Great Lake region, or in Norway.

Out here, the main purpose of the dams was for water retention for agriculture initially, and now to supply metropoles of tens of millions of people. The electric generation is a welcome byproduct, but not the main purpose.

And so, release of water from the dam is managed according to water usage, and spread out over the year. As the result, the power generation is not a constant supply as it may be in other places in the world.

From that Web site:

NaS battery technology has been demonstrated at over 190 sites in Japan. More than 270 MW of stored energy suitable for 6 hours of daily peak shaving have been installed. The largest NaS installation is a 34-MW, 245-MWh unit for wind stabilization in Northern Japan. The demand for NaS batteries as an effective means of stabilizing renewable energy output and providing ancillary services is expanding. U.S. utilities have deployed 9 MW for peak shaving, backup power, firming wind capacity, and other applications. Projections indicate that development of an additional 9 MW is in-progress.

For storage capacity, one should talk about MWh, not MW.

The above numbers show a start. There's a long way to go. 9 MW of power is enough for 90 EV cars plugged into superchargers, while there are 270 million vehicles currently registered in the US.

I know there are a lot of people who think we can get to 100% renewable... and some of the engineers on here who say the numbers do not work...

We-choose-to-go-to-the-moon-in-this-decade-and-do-the-other-things-not-because-they-are-easy-but-because-they-are-hard.png

That's nice.

But Kennedy did research and had a plan. What's yours?

Convinced of the political need for an achievement which would decisively demonstrate America's space superiority, Kennedy asked his Vice President, Lyndon B. Johnson, in his role as chairman of the National Aeronautics and Space Council, to identify such an achievement. He specifically asked him to investigate whether the United States could beat the Soviet Union in putting a laboratory in space, or orbiting a man around the Moon, or landing a man on the Moon, and to find out what such a project would cost. Johnson consulted with officials of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Its new Administrator, James E. Webb, told him that there was no chance of beating the Russians to launching a space station, and it was uncertain as to whether NASA could orbit a man around the Moon first, so the best option would be to attempt to land a man on the Moon. This would also be the most expensive option; Webb believed it would require $22 billion to achieve it by 1970. Johnson also consulted with Wernher von Braun; military leaders, including Lieutenant General Bernard Schriever; and three captains of industry: Frank Stanton from CBS, Donald C. Cook from American Electric Power, and George R. Brown from Brown & Root.[4]
They had a plan, and an estimate of expenses.

If just saying it could make it happen (if wishes were fishes), Kennedy just would have said "We choose to beat the Russians to launching a space station.", and it would have happened, sooner, and cheaper than landing on the moon. So why didn't he?

Again, what's your plan? Can you make the numbers work?

-ERD50

Again, what's your plan? Can you make the numbers work?

-ERD50

Don't be ridiculous... Plans Follow Dreams...... Not the other way around.... If you think you can't, You Can't ..... If you think you can, You might..

Both ways of thinking are correct.

I remembered reading about the Space Race, that it was mostly to boost the spirit of the American citizenry. And that was indeed the intention, because once they got there, there was not a whole lot to do on the Moon, so they stopped going.

Back on the energy issue, California has mandated solar panels on all newly constructed homes in 2020. It was said that it was decided between the CA Energy Commission and the Building Standards Commission. I did not realize these commissions have such power. I would have thought such a sweeping requirement would have to get voters' approval.

Don't be ridiculous... Plans Follow Dreams...... Not the other way around.... If you think you can't, You Can't ..... If you think you can, You might..

Both ways of thinking are correct.

I'm not saying we can't - we are showing that it is very tough, very expensive, very high amounts of resources. I don't see a path to it being practical.

It's not just a matter of putting our minds to it, that is being done. And we should continue to put our minds to it. But we need to be realistic.

Back on the energy issue, California has mandated solar panels on all newly constructed homes in 2020. It was said that it was decided between the CA Energy Commission and the Building Standards Commission. ...

I recall seeing something about that. Sad. As we have said, even (especially!) a fan of solar power should be against residential roof top solar. It's the worst way to promote solar.

To compare to the Space Race, it would be like Kennedy saying "We will go to the Moon before the decade is out, by way of Mars!".

-ERD50

I'm not saying we can't - we are showing that it is very tough, very expensive, very high amounts of resources. I don't see a path to it being practical.

It's not just a matter of putting our minds to it, that is being done. And we should continue to put our minds to it. But we need to be realistic.
-ERD50

It's amazing that 115 years ago today the Wright Brothers took flight -

https://www.nps.gov/wrbr/learn/historyculture/thefirstflight.htm

The title of the this Thread was "Some truth to people who think we can be 100% renewable" --- As if thinking you can ---- needed reprimanding.

Attachments

• Flight.jpg
    Flight.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I like RE. I like batteries too. But before we are ready with the new "stuff", we should not throw away things that we already have that work. Like David MacKay said in his TED talk, he liked RE, but he liked arithmetic more.

About human flight, before the Wright brothers were successful there were many attempts that were not, starting with Icarus. In 1912, there was this attempt to fly off the Eiffel Tower. The inventor left an indentation on the ground, that was carefully measured at the end of the short film.

Last edited:
Engineering is more than reaching to the moon. One shot deals are different than reliable, cost efficient, reproducible manufacturing and deployment.

NASA learned this the hard way with the shuttle program.

To SpaceX's credit, they are going for this, but are struggling as the recent landing failure shows.

Not saying it isn't possible, just saying people have to be realistic in time frames.

Oh there you are my friend.

Are you ready to install your solar panels? :)

I meant based on actual production, looks like the NC rebate is based on panel rated output. IOW, you could bury them underground and generate zero watts (silly example), and still get the NC rebate based on the panel rated output.

And I am still paying for the Fed subsidy, which is based on cost, not even panel rated output...

I'm working on the hole right now. :)

digahole1-78672-65227.jpg

Oh there you are my friend.

Are you ready to install your solar panels? :)
:) Not quite yet.

The RE thing is kind of playing out like the light bulb debacle (which is quickly un-debacling). There's a thread on LED bulbs active right now.

It took time, but I think we are finally getting there. First we had to suffer through those horrible CFLs. Then LEDs came on and looked to be a gift from the gods... until they were not living up to their reliability boasts.

However, most of the recent LED fixtures and bulbs are getting it right. The color has improved, the cost came down, and most importantly, reliability is up (for most manufacturers).

We need to move to RE. We even need a push or two from governmental bodies, like what happened in bulbs. We also need to be realistic. I see none of this as black and white. I guess a career in engineering and manufacturing has tainted my soul.

It's amazing that 115 years ago today the Wright Brothers took flight -

https://www.nps.gov/wrbr/learn/historyculture/thefirstflight.htm

The title of the this Thread was "Some truth to people who think we can be 100% renewable" --- As if thinking you can ---- needed reprimanding.

Rather than argue with you, may I suggest that there is just a communication gap regarding this thread?

Anyone who has been successful in implementing solutions to complex problems knows that the first step is understanding and characterizing the problem and its magnitude. The Wright Brother's are a fantastic example of that process (I may detail that later).

Second, they start evaluating solutions - what has been done in the past, what worked, what didn't, what new technology is on the horizon, what hasn't been tried? Are there any out-of-the-box ideas that might apply? Is there a "Gordian Knot" approach to eliminate the problem, rather than working with it (like calculators obliterated the need to improve the slide rule)?

Third, as you evaluate each potential solution, you absolutely must take a critical approach - what might keep this from working? This is essential. The surest way to blow a lot of time, money, and opportunity is to underestimate the problems, plow ahead, and then have to backtrack and try again (if they let you!). Often, that backtracking will happen anyhow, since you are treading new ground. But much of it can be eliminated by critical analysis.

So you see, being critical and honest with yourself is the path to success. You get to positive with some prudent negativity along the way. Not defeatist negativity, but constructive negativity.

Dreams? I'm certain there is no lack of dreams/imagination among the engineers/technologists here. We can all dream of a low-pollution power source that can me dispatched instantly when and where we need it, that is low cost, easy to maintain for generations, and takes little resources to produce with little environmental impact. That's the dream - there you go.

Now what?

Now comes the harsh reality of evaluating options. If this was easy, we wouldn't be talking about it, it would be done. In fact, I read a link provided earlier, and one graph there really hit me. This is harder than I thought (if the graph represents what I think it does, need to do more probing).

batterystorage-01_0.png

If renewables provided 80 percent of California electricity – half wind, half solar – generation would fall precipitously beginning in the late summer.
Clean Air Task Force analysis of CAISO data
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at that and said "Wow! OMG! Holy Cow! Is that a 10x seasonal variation in wind/solar combined! In California!? I thought they were supposed to supplement each other, so the variation would be less?!"

Guess what my next step was? I said "OK, so how can we deal with that?" I have some thoughts, but I have not analyzed them in any detail yet. Basically, it might mean we really, really, over-build wind/solar (like 6x), so that we are not dependent on long-term storage that we really see no way of doing in the next 30 years. A brute force approach - now is 6x the solar/wind cheaper than 6 months of storage? I think so, we will see. It's expensive, but maybe 6x is manageable? And there is opportunity - we would have a super surplus of energy for 8 months of the year. Maybe those desalination plants could be made cheaper if they didn't need to worry about electricity costs? Maybe cheap enough that running 8 out of 12 months is feasible? Maybe some other use for 8/12 month operation?

See, solution based thinking, not "We can't do it." But you can't get to solutions by ignoring the issues, you need to face them. Like the Wright Brothers did.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I also meant to mention, if we were to do a "Moon-shot/Manhattan-Project" program, where would we apply it?

I don't think there is anything that can improve wind/solar/storage by a magnitude type change. The laws of physics say there just is not much 'there' there. But maybe some of the newer Nuclear approaches just might have that big, big payoff.

But will the public get behind Nuclear?

-ERD50

I like RE. I like batteries too. But before we are ready with the new "stuff", we should not throw away things that we already have that work. Like David MacKay said in his TED talk, he liked RE, but he liked arithmetic more.

About human flight, before the Wright brothers were successful there were many attempts that were not, starting with Icarus. In 1912, there was this attempt to fly off the Eiffel Tower. The inventor left an indentation on the ground, that was carefully measured at the end of the short film.

I guess the gent that tried to fly off the tower with a big coat wasn't good at math?

What math? How 'bout some common sense?

When you fail, try again, and take smaller steps. Do not make it even harder, like this "French Flying Tailor" did.

From Wikipedia:

Franz Reichelt

Born 1879
Wegstädtl, Kingdom of Bohemia
Died February 4, 1912 (aged 32–33) Paris

Cause of death: Accidental death while testing his own invention

Franz Reichelt (1879 – 4 February 1912), also known as Frantz Reichelt or François Reichelt, was an Austrian-born French tailor, inventor and parachuting pioneer, now sometimes referred to as the Flying Tailor, who is remembered for jumping to his death from the Eiffel Tower while testing a wearable parachute of his own design. Reichelt had become fixated on developing a suit for aviators that would convert into a parachute and allow them to survive a fall should they be forced to leave their aircraft. Initial experiments conducted with dummies dropped from the fifth floor of his apartment building had been successful, but he was unable to replicate those early successes with any of his subsequent designs.

Believing that a suitably high test platform would prove his invention's efficacy, Reichelt repeatedly petitioned the Parisian Prefecture of Police for permission to conduct a test from the Eiffel Tower. He finally received permission in 1912, but when he arrived at the tower on 4 February he made it clear that he intended to jump personally rather than conduct an experiment with dummies. Despite attempts to dissuade him, he jumped from the first platform of the tower wearing his invention...

Last edited:
I guess the gent that tried to fly off the tower with a big coat wasn't good at math?

Not good at Dreaming! All he needed was a good, stirring speech before he jumped, and a belief that it could be done.

That hesitation was a bad sign. Too much negativity. He could'a been a con-ten-duh!

-ERD50

What math? How 'bout some common sense?

When you fail, try again, and take smaller steps. Do not make it even harder, like this "French Flying Tailor" did.

From Wikipedia:

Glide path calculation and rate of decent of a falling object XX meters high. Maybe throw in wind friction losses. :D

Glide path calculation and rate of decent of a falling object XX meters high. Maybe throw in wind friction losses. :D

What glide path does a falling rock have? :) It's straight down, and so was Franz.

Looks like the special clothes he wore had some pouches that were supposed to deploy like chutes to reduce his terminal descent rate, but either they did not pop out, or were not effective.

Lacking a proper wind tunnel or other means of testing, he should have tested with a properly weighted mannequin instead of on himself. But the man was so sure of success that he took a shortcut, went for it, and paid with his life.

Last edited:
Below is a video collection of more attempts to fly.

Because of these hilarious trials, critics warned the Wrights that “If God wanted man to fly, he would have given them wings.”

In modern days, the above warning was changed to:

"If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport" -- George Winters

Last edited:
batterystorage-01_0.png

If renewables provided 80 percent of California electricity – half wind, half solar – generation would fall precipitously beginning in the late summer.
Clean Air Task Force analysis of CAISO data
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-ERD50

I do not understand the above chart!

According to solar radiation data in the National Solar Radiation Database (NSRDB) which is actual data collected throughout the US during the period of 1961-1990, in California, in January one should be able to get a bit less than 1/2 of the solar power in June. The ratio is not 1/10. Note that this is actual collected data, which includes the effect of weather such as cloudiness, rain, snow, etc...

The above chart assumes 1/2 wind, and 1/2 solar power, but solar power by itself is not as bad as that.

Last edited:
What glide path does a falling rock have? :) It's straight down, and so was Franz.

Looks like the special clothes he wore had some pouches that were supposed to deploy like chutes to reduce his terminal descent rate, but either they did not pop out, or were not effective.

Lacking a proper wind tunnel or other means of testing, he should have tested with a properly weighted mannequin instead of on himself. But the man was so sure of success that he took a shortcut, went for it, and paid with his life.

Yes, his clothes looked pretty bulky and strange... however, the other option is that the hit from the air ripped the cloth or the stitches... one post said he did parachutes so he should have known how to sew properly but who knows for sure (maybe more in Wiki)....

Back
Top Bottom