Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. After retiring I started to look around the house and decided I needed to finish this cabin that I bought 30 years ago. It's just things here and there that needed to get done. But first I started with a new paint job. Luckily I've found a general contractor to do the work who I get along with etc. As the economy is bad and he needs the work, it's work out for both of us.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:01 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've still got bare concrete in the bathroom where we had to jackhammer up the floor to get at a leak in the pipes buried under our slab. That was 5 years ago.

We started a kitchen remodel exactly one year ago today but it's still not done -- the art isn't back on the walls and we have no window treatments. I really don't care, but it drives DH nuts.

Our master bedroom has serious carpet issues and needs to be painted (has since we moved in 6 years ago), but the thought of moving all the stuff that's in there out of the way makes my eyes cross.

Let's not even start on the bathroom remodel that we need to do (which is why we haven't replaced the flooring yet, because we want to do that when we do the remodel, in a couple of years...)

I need to make a master list and work my way through it, but it's daunting right now. At least you have skills and some time, theFed!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
When we bought our place 6 years ago, DW was agonizing over three possible shades of paint for the living room. I told her to pick whatever she likes because in 6 months I wouldn't notice it. Sure enough, I have to think about it or go look to remember what color it is.
After several yrs of plain white walls, we decided to paint and DW and I disputed for many weeks whether to DIY or hire a contractor. She won the dispute and hired a contractor. After several more weeks haggling over colors for each room and re-paints because the shade looked 'different' after it dried, two tone, stripes and all sorts of high faluttin, labor intensive treatments........I realized going with the contractor maybe saved our marriage.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #24

ugggh.the list is growing. as i mudded and sanded the drywall where the old windows were, i looked at the ceiling and can see all the taped lines. it's smooth...no texture. i tried to texture it 5 yrs ago but wife said no...so i tried my best but it isn't perfect. wouldnt ya know she now wants texture. so, i textured the ceiling this morning,andlaid my final coat of mud on the ex-windows and 2 closets.

i also just ripped out our bedroom door to begin that part of the list....new one will be in later this afternoon. but since i will be replacing the door casing on both sides, we will need to replace our outdated baseboards to match.woo hoo.

while we were getting supplies yesterday, wife decided we need another light with pullchain in a far corner of storage....so im doing that today as well...

did i say ugggghhh?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #25

no mas! no mas!!! We ended up $700 poorer after visiting lowes again today....doors, doors, lots of paint and primer, door casing.....

UGGGGHHHH
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #26

Now she's out of control! We ended up buying new carpet for our bedroom and addition... that brings my guy "crazy carpet bill' into the picture and that's always fun. Well...not really. he's a health freak who only works during the night hours, sleeps 3 or 4 hours a day, and does wierd yoga during daylight.

that means it is 1 a.m. and he is making custom transition strips on a table saw in my kitchen right now. every time i swear i will never use him again he surprises me with a ridiculously low bill...like for removing/replacing about 450 sf of carpet today, installing 20 sf of laminate flooring in an entryway, creating 3 custom oak transitions and a threshold for my rear door...he'll probably charge me $125. But I never know til he's done...i'll keep ya posted.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #27

almost 3am and he's still here....im losing my mind....
Old 11-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've got some wet rot behind the gutters. Old house and in need of a few repairs. I called one guy who is suppose to be good, a fireman who does repair work on the side. Well I called him about a month ago and he said he would do it. Then the very next week his daughter was killed in a car wreck. Poor guy, I doubt he will be in the mood to be doing much for a while. I'll probably wait until next spring pursue it.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
almost 3am and he's still here....im losing my mind....
He's waiting for you to fall asleep.
The good news: You won't get a bill at all!
The bad news: You won't have a TV anymore. (Or, maybe that would be good news!)
Old 11-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
He's waiting for you to fall asleep.
The good news: You won't get a bill at all!
The bad news: You won't have a TV anymore. (Or, maybe that would be good news!)
haha

i ended up retiring at 3:30....even though he needs 'prodding' every once in a while to keep him moving....the most simple things can hold him up. For example, his partner removed a solid switchplate from our floor (yes there's an outlet in the floor) and lost one of the screws. I swear he wandered around talking about the screw for 10 minutes....trying other screws he found,combing the carpet, scratching his a$$ til I reminded him that a switchplate AND screws costs about $.30 and not to worry about it. He still muttered about the screw for another half hour I think. It was so humorous as he beat himself up over the screw that my wife and I kinda played into it to see how much more time this shmuck would waste.

Anyhow the carpet looks wonderful, not exactly what *I* wanted but the wife got what she wanted. Now, the rest of the room looks bad....we added some BEAUTIFUL Pergo laminate for the entryway that looks REAL. I've never said that about a laminate....but it's awesome. So now the door looks bad....the baseboards aren't the best. And the room I just painted ALL white is TOO white with this beige-ish carpet.