Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Someone talk me out of buying a Nexus 7 2013
Old 10-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone talk me out of buying a Nexus 7 2013

I know I don't really need it. Have a very nice laptop sitting on a mobile desk right next to my bed, with a great HD screen. Don't travel much. Have a 10 Asus Transformer all ready (sitting in my closet) Have a regular Kindle for reading books, have an extra laptop (sitting in my closet)

OK, Here's how I am trying to justify it.

Could use a new Garmin, so I rationalized that if I spend $110 more ($260 Amazon) and then purchase a $10 GPS (CoPilot) application for the Nexus 7 , I will have another toy with GPS application, and still keep my old Garmin for backup.

My second rationalization is that I don't have a smart phone, but could use a devise with a camera on it, so I can take pictures of checks I occasionally get, but can't deposit cause my bank is 3000 miles away now, so it would make check depositing easier.(with the banks application installed)

Now do you think those are good enough rationalizations, or do you think i need to do better.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #2

I'll give you 2 reasons why you shouldn't buy it.

1) It will be cheaper during the holidays.
2) Something new and better will probably come out at the beginning of the year.

These are two reasons I use myself and they prevent me from buying anything new, ever.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't already own a smartphone, by all means buy it [EDIT: OOPS I THOUGHT YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT THE UPCOMING NEXUS 5]. It's the one device that has most improved my life. :-)

I haven't spent money on a GPS app, I just use the free Google maps app. It's no-frills, but it works fine for basic navigation.

Maybe dump the Transformer and the extra laptop on eBay, to feel less guilty... ;-)
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I believe the new Google phones are supposed to be coming out Nov. 01
New Google Nexus 5 and updated Google Nexus 4 with LTE.

Don't know if that helps... lol
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Oops, I though you were thinking of the upcoming Nexus 5... but you're dreaming of a tablet. I have no use for tablets, laptops are handier, but couldn't live without my smartphone. I'd go for a Nexus 5, but that's just me. :-)
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It all depends on one's usage model. I bought a Nexus 7 about a month ago to browse the web from my easy chair or occasionally on vacation when wifi is available. I just have a Tracphone plan and not much use for a smartphone. Didn't want a bulky laptop for the easy chair although writing anything, I have to keep it short with the Nexus 7.

It's a nice toy. Thinking of getting one for my son on his birthday but I'm not so sure he has a need for it as he has a laptop and smartphone. Thoughts on this anyone?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's to big to mount in your car and use as a substitute GPS device. The large size will obstruct your view causing you to get into a serious accident. Don't buy it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #8

Smart phones are nice, but I don't want the monthly cost of owning one. I am trying to keep monthly charges at a minimum. And since I rarely use my prepaid cell phone, it would be a waste for me.

I could probably save a few bucks waiting for Black Friday deals, but I have $300 in Amazon Gift cards sitting on my desk, so I need to get it (or something else) from Amazon.

I actually thought having a 7 inch screen would be better for me to be able to see, as I usually have my Garmin sitting in my lap. I have a dash mount but find I can't see it well enough unless it is night time. Especially when I want to see how much further it is before my next turn.

Well, I will ponder it a little longer. I have everything sitting in my checkout Basket on Amazon, but it's not going anywhere.

LSBCAL. If your son likes to play games on his smartphone or watch You Tube, he will probably like it. But kids are always texting each other, so unless he is somewhere that has wifi, he won't be able to do this on the Nexus 7 when he is away from the house, unless you get him the newer one LTE model from Google that has available phone service.

He will surely like it, but nothing will replace their smart phone for everyday use. Kids like new electronic "toys". Most of the enthusiasm on the electronic forums are from younger kids. (Not to say us older folks don't like these toy's either) And unless he has another hobby he is really into, it will probably please him much more than some new clothes etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
...(snip)...
I actually thought having a 7 inch screen would be better for me to be able to see, as I usually have my Garmin sitting in my lap. I have a dash mount but find I can't see it well enough unless it is night time. Especially when I want to see how much further it is before my next turn. ...
My Garmin is on one of those bean bag mounts on the dash. It costs maybe $110 some years ago from Amazon. Maybe there is one that has a brighter display for you?

Putting it in the lap sounds a bit dangerous since you have to look down.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AutoExec Wheelmate Steering Wheel Attachable Work Surface Tray

You guys made me think of my favorite product customer reviews on Amazon. Too bad they took the customer images down!
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #11

What version of android does your Asus run? what's the reason for upgrading to a newer tablet?

I've got a xoom tablet (the original moto tablet) that I still love.
I finally got a smart phone (nexus S by samsung - bought used and ported to Ting.) That saves a lot on the monthly charge of the smart phone. (I'm now paying about $50 month for 2 smart phones. - Found out about Ting here at ER.org.)

You don't need the new nexus 7. use your perfectly good tablet. If it's not the latest version of Android - root it and upgrade it.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
My Garmin is on one of those bean bag mounts on the dash. It costs maybe $110 some years ago from Amazon. Maybe there is one that has a brighter display for you? Putting it in the lap sounds a bit dangerous since you have to look down.
I got the bean bag mount too and love it. It adapts well to curvy dashboards and avoids windshield mount.

I agree that lap is not the place for it, whether GPS or tablet or smartphone.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I did not know what a Nexus was, let alone a Nexus 7, so I looked it up.

No, I am not going to talk you out of it. It is not that expensive, and if you want one and think you will enjoy using it, then spend the money.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
What version of android does your Asus run? what's the reason for upgrading to a newer tablet?

I've got a xoom tablet (the original moto tablet) that I still love.
I finally got a smart phone (nexus S by samsung - bought used and ported to Ting.) That saves a lot on the monthly charge of the smart phone. (I'm now paying about $50 month for 2 smart phones. - Found out about Ting here at ER.org.)

You don't need the new nexus 7. use your perfectly good tablet. If it's not the latest version of Android - root it and upgrade it.
You know, I don't know what version it is. I'd have to get it out and start her up. I think it was the first one they came out with. Bought the keyboard to attach to it. It works just fine for what I would do with it, but it's not something I would stick in my pocket book to take with me anywhere. (too big a heavy) I'm talking around town stuff.

It just seemed like the 7" format is a little bit more portable and much lighter, and something I might keep in my purse.

Yes, I have the bean bag thing for the Garmin. When I travel short trips (I recently moved to a new state, so having to navigate around a lot with Garmin) I usually take occasional looks at the map, but then also listen to verbal instructions. Most of my peaks are at how close I am coming to where I need to make next turn. Hence I thought larger screen might be better. But then again, I'm probably just trying to rationalize a new toy.

Yes, I know about Ting, and have thought about going with them when my two pre-paid phones are done with their minutes for this year.

Actually I purchased a sort of smart phone (I'll call it less stupid) from Ting to give to my mother, when she lost hers, but then she found it, and can operate hers easier. But the screen leaves something to be desired for anything short of making calls or using the calculator. I really need a good resolution screen to read, or I won't use it.

Any phones out there with the 5" screens that have great resolution that I can use with Ting that don't cost an arm and a leg? To show you how out of date I am with smart phones. I don't even know what is considered good resolution for a 5" phone screen? Still, don't think I'd do much with it other than make calls, cause to me the screen is just too small for reading much. Would be handy to have a little data for those few times you could use it, like checking a price on something on line before you buy it in the store. But our two phones cost just $200 a year, for 1100 minutes each, and I seldom use all the minutes. That shows you how much I use them.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #15

I've had a Nexus 7 for about 6 weeks. It's my first tablet. I got it for different reasons than yours, however. I bought it for when I travel, and also for reading books. I especially want to be able to use it for Skype when out of the country. I've been very pleased with it so far. Skype works well with it. I took it on a recent domestic trip and it was useful to have since WiFi is so easy to find now. I used it for internet access and for reading during the trip.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #16

I've had an iPad ever since they came out and I use it more than my laptop. If you want an Android tablet, have you looked at the new Amazon models that are coming out in November? The Kindle 8.9" HDX model looks amazing. The specs are quite impressive for the price, and if you are a Prime Member you get quite a few perks for buying one, including the ability to borrow one free book per month from the Kindle lending library, and the ability to download quite a few free moves from the Amazon Prime videos list.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AutoExec Wheelmate Steering Wheel Attachable Work Surface Tray

You guys made me think of my favorite product customer reviews on Amazon. Too bad they took the customer images down!
OMG! I'm in tears from trying to get through the first few pages of reviews. Who would have thought such a ridiculous product would create so much humor!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

You know, I bought the Nexus 7 wifi because it was (1) relatively cheap, (2) decent performance, (3) convenient. The technology is moving too fast to put a lot into any one model just yet for me.

Now I wonder if I would want a Nexus 7 with cellular? You can buy the Nexus 7 32GB with LTE for $350 I think but it is not quite out yet.

Then there are the emerging (at least on my radar screen) deals from cellular providers like this from T-Mobil: T-Mobile to offer Nexus 7 LTE and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $0 down | Android Central
Here is what TMobil says: 200 MB of Free Mobile Internet Data for new Tablets Starting at $0 Down | T-Mobile
Looks like they are going to a phone like plan system where you can get some free data and rent data on a monthly basis. Very confusing right now as to how to go on this.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have the Nexus 10. It replaces so much of what I used to do on a notebook and on a smartphone.

After you purchase your 7, the one question you'll ask is why didn't you buy sooner.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You know, I bought the Nexus 7 wifi because it was (1) relatively cheap, (2) decent performance, (3) convenient. The technology is moving too fast to put a lot into any one model just yet for me.

Now I wonder if I would want a Nexus 7 with cellular? You can buy the Nexus 7 32GB with LTE for $350 I think but it is not quite out yet.

Then there are the emerging (at least on my radar screen) deals from cellular providers like this from T-Mobil: T-Mobile to offer Nexus 7 LTE and Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 for $0 down | Android Central
Here is what TMobil says: 200 MB of Free Mobile Internet Data for new Tablets Starting at $0 Down | T-Mobile
Looks like they are going to a phone like plan system where you can get some free data and rent data on a monthly basis. Very confusing right now as to how to go on this.
Well that's interesting. So now I'm up to $389 from $269, but I can get 200 mg of data with it each month. Hmm...... Possible Big Phone (with a phone plan), little data, & GPS. It's still in my checkout basket on Amazon. Well for sure, I'd at least be able to see the phone !