Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2013, 04:20 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

Well that's interesting. So now I'm up to $389 from $269, but I can get 200 mg of data with it each month. Hmm...... Possible Big Phone (with a phone plan), little data, & GPS. It's still in my checkout basket on Amazon. Well for sure, I'd at least be able to see the phone !
That would be tempting.

200MB does not sound like much bandwidth though. You'd have to manage that use.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been waiting for news on the new Nexus 10. While I like the greater portability of the Nexus 7, I don't see it being useful for taking action on a church website problem that pops up while I'm on vacation (i.e., via RDP to my desktop computer at home), or for note-taking at meetings at both work and church. My spouse is of the same persuasion, so it might be a two tablet Christmas this year. (Heck: The cost of a stripped-down Nexus 7 would be readily hidden in the cost of two deluxe Nexus 10's eh?)

It isn't going to replace a desktop or laptop, surely, but I think a 10" tablet can do a pretty good job with most things I drag out the laptop for these days: Checking and replying to email, surfing the web, etc. I'm not sure how well it'll work participating in online forums, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough, at least on an occasional basis.

One thing to think about, especially if you're going to be a two tablet family: We decided on WiFi tablets, and purchased a Verizon JetPack to serve as a roving 4G hotspot for ourselves. We bought a prepaid JetPack, so for $90 we can turn it on for a month, while we're traveling, have a very large amount of throughput (10GB I think), and then shut it down, until our next vacation.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #23

I have a Nexus 7 and DW has a Kindle Fire. We use both a lot. Kindle's link to Amazon Prime is a strong selling point. My Nexus 7 with the latest Android OS can do many more Apps. Both are great.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'm dreaming of a Nexus 7 too. Does the map app require cellular? I'm going to go wi-fi only.

And to whomever posted that Amazon review... I can't stop laughing. That was a great way to start my day!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
My second rationalization is that I don't have a smart phone, but could use a devise with a camera on it, so I can take pictures of checks I occasionally get, but can't deposit cause my bank is 3000 miles away now, so it would make check depositing easier.(with the banks application installed)

Now do you think those are good enough rationalizations, or do you think i need to do better.
Well I'm in sort of the same position as this. I want to use the check deposit app of my internet bank. I have an old ( 8 yr ) retarded tracfone, don't think I've made more than couple of calls on it in the last year. I bough an android tablet last year just to play with, I don't think I've turned it on in six months.

What I have found is the check app doesn't respond to things that aren't identified as a "phone", also you need the rear camera the phone has to capture the check image.

Tracfone has now started selling an android phone for ~$100 and it is wifi capable, which you can use it where you can get wifi and not use minutes. That might be worth a look.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm dreaming of a Nexus 7 too. Does the map app require cellular? I'm going to go wi-fi only.
It's google maps. If you don't have a gmail account, I recommend getting one. Much of the experience revolves around the g account.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
OMG! I'm in tears from trying to get through the first few pages of reviews. Who would have thought such a ridiculous product would create so much humor!
Quote:
And to whomever posted that Amazon review... I can't stop laughing. That was a great way to start my day!
Amazon.com: BIC Cristal For Her Ball Pen, 1.0mm, Black, 16ct (MSLP16-Blk): Office Products

One more - if you look at the "customers who viewed this also viewed" links, you'll find many more.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5. Both are within reach most of the day.

I am considering a Nexus 7 or a Retina iPad Mini. My iPad is too unwieldy to use in bed. Really gets tiring to hold up with one hand for extended periods.

The other reason, as others noted, is that it would be easier to take out of the home, including for trips overseas, where I would use the mobile part of it for Internet access, which is often faster and cost less than what some hotels charge for Wifi these days.

I played around with the Nexus 7 at Office Depot. I like the size and design but wasn't too impressed with the performance of the Chrome browser. Maybe the wifi at the store was weak.

If price wasn't an issue, I'd get the iPad Mini with Retina due next month but the configuration I'd be looking at it almost $300 more than the comparable Nexus 7 configuration with LTE.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The Amazon tablets on paper are good but they have very limited selection of apps, compared to Android tablets and especially compared to iPad.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5. Both are within reach most of the day.

I am considering a Nexus 7 or a Retina iPad Mini. My iPad is too unwieldy to use in bed. Really gets tiring to hold up with one hand for extended periods.

Are you going to look at the iPad Air when it comes out on Friday? It's supposed to be significantly lighter and thinner than the current iPad.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
The other reason, as others noted, is that it would be easier to take out of the home, including for trips overseas, where I would use the mobile part of it for Internet access, which is often faster and cost less than what some hotels charge for Wifi these days.
We would have loved to have a Google map for walking around European cities. One can get easily lost (like in Paris) and then have to pull out a map.

But what about the web plan costs and setup for Europe? Isn't that a hassle to get for a short stay? Also, is it easier to get cellular for Ipads over Androids in Europe?

BTW, I did buy a cheap phone for the UK and that was relatively cheap and easy to get while over there. Got it from Vodaphone. In the UK coverage is not guaranteed all over for any one carrier. Probably not a problem if in a large city.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It's google maps. If you don't have a gmail account, I recommend getting one. Much of the experience revolves around the g account.
Ha ha, not a problem. I have 4 gmail accounts.

So, let me get this right. The Nexus 7 has a GPS reciever built in, so it knows where you are through this? No need for cellular positioning?

And as for Amazon reviews... Little did I know there's a whole sub-culture of Amazon comedians. Love it!
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But what about the web plan costs and setup for Europe? Isn't that a hassle to get for a short stay? Also, is it easier to get cellular for Ipads over Androids in Europe?

BTW, I did buy a cheap phone for the UK and that was relatively cheap and easy to get while over there. Got it from Vodaphone. In the UK coverage is not guaranteed all over for any one carrier. Probably not a problem if in a large city.
Most carriers allow you to turn their international data packages on and off whenever you like. I have AT&T, and just do this online prior to traveling -- setting start and end dates of the coverage. You do have to keep an eye on the data capacity used vs. allowed per month -- if you go over, they will typically charge you a fee equivalent to another month's rate or so. When setting your coverage dates, also note that providers usually pro rate the data allowance depending on the date you start the data package. Since your travel is not likely to fall at the exact start of your billing cycle, if you tell it to start when your trip begins this could mean that you easily 'go over' the limit. What I usually do if I have a trip that spans two billing cycles is have the international data package begin at the start of one billing cycle, and end at the end of the next billing cycle. That way I pay for and get two full months worth of data, which I use during the time I am away, regardless of that actual dates of travel.

Re: IPad vs. Android in Europe -- for cellular the brand of device you use is less important than the cell phone/data carrier you have. Each has service available in a different set of countries. (I just posted a comparative list between AT&T and T-Mobile on the 'International Cell Phone' thread if you're interested).

Re: local phones, I don't have my US smartphone unlocked. So for local telephone calls and texts I also have a few cheap cell phones I've bought, one that covers most of Africa, and another for parts of Latin America, and swap out local chips depending on the country. I even use these for international calls when I can't get WiFi/Skype. In many places I just buy a SIM card in the street or in a hotel, but in some countries I've had to go register at a phone company office, etc., and it's a real PIA -- so only worth it if I'm going to be there awhile. I don't know how it is for European countries, this is mainly developing countries I'm talking about. I guess if you buy a phone for just one country, it comes with a SIM card so that's pretty straightforward.
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:
Ha ha, not a problem. I have 4 gmail accounts.

So, let me get this right. The Nexus 7 has a GPS reciever built in, so it knows where you are through this? No need for cellular positioning?

And as for Amazon reviews... Little did I know there's a whole sub-culture of Amazon comedians. Love it!
I can tell you how it works on my wifi xoom w/gps. I can't update/get google maps unless I have a wifi connection. But if I plan ahead - I can cache google maps for where I'm going.
So yes - your tablet has your gps position - but no way to match it up to a map unless you cached the map.

That said - I used it VERY successfully to track/explore small town walking tours in Sicily. I'd cache the maps of the towns we planned to visit before leaving in the morning, and then was able to see where I was relative to where I wanted to go, during the day.

Also used the google app MyTracks to track where I went - very cool app, even if you didn't precache the map... it would resolve to the map next time you connected to wifi.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Are you going to look at the iPad Air when it comes out on Friday? It's supposed to be significantly lighter and thinner than the current iPad.
No I'm going to try the smaller tablet this time, for use in bed and for taking out of the home.

iPad Air is lighter but still heavier than most 7-8 inch tablets.

Will try it out at the store.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yes you need a data connection of some kind to update the Maps. So for instance, walking around in cities or turn-by-turn navigation.

I've used prepaid data plans in Italy, Switzerland, Hong Kong, France and Spain.

Some are cheaper than others. I think France was the most expensive at $21 for 3 days of use. But I liked using my iPad on a hour long train ride each way between Cannes and Monaco.

I never used data roaming, because it's expensive and limited (amount of data you can use). Keep the international data roaming setting to off on my iPhone.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I never used data roaming, because it's expensive and limited (amount of data you can use). Keep the international data roaming setting to off on my iPhone.
Just to be clear - on most US provider cell plans, you can add international data as a pre-paid plan with a data limit -- it's not 'data roaming' charges unless you are outside the eligible countries in their plan (I get an alert when that happens).

I pay $30 for 120 MB of month of international data with AT&T to be used within 30 days, which is plenty enough for checking email and doing some web surfing, especially if your trip is shorter than 30 days (if you pay for the full month, you get the whole allotment, regardless of how quickly you use it up).

I'm not sure if your local pre-paid data plans have a data limit, but $21 for 3 days in France seems pretty expensive compared to just adding on international data to your existing plan before you travel and being able to use it over a much longer period.
smurray5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Yes France is uncompetitive compared to her neighbors.

But that was unlimited data.

You can easily use 100 MB in a couple of hours on 3G and minutes on 4G LTE, though there are no roaming agreements between US carriers and international carriers on LTE networks yet.

I paid 30 Euro for a month of usage up to 10 GB in Italy, used over half of it in just less than a week last year. Was using it for GPS navigation and downloading podcasts at night at the hotel.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Since nobody's mentioned MapDroyd, I shall. It's a free app for android and allows you to download maps for offline use. I used it for a trip to downtown LA recently. It was useful for showing where I was - not so much for telling me how to get somewhere. I like free. Oh, I found it much quicker to download the maps to my PC then use USB to transfer to my tablet - wifi would have made that quite painful. Instructions on website.
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #40

I've had the 10.1 Samsung Note 3 and DW is going to get a Nexus 7 in a week or two. We would have gotten really lost in Mexico without Google Maps. If you cache the "zoom-ins", you can really do without a GPS. If you do a lot of short trips around town, GPS would be more handy.

Road trips, go with the Nexus 7... Qualcomm quad core processor is one of the fastest out there...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote