Join Early Retirement Today

Something for Nords:
Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something for Nords:

As you are casting about for someplace to sink your profits once the rental sells... Sure it's a little old school, but think of the fun watches you can stand!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg polaris sub.jpeg (51.1 KB, 21 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

As i have claustraphobia this virtual tour is as close to a sub as i'd want to get.

OMSI U.S.S. Blueback Submarine

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Never could raise the cash for the sub, but the X-Ray specs were killer!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LOL...I remember that ad! I never saw the sub in person, but I do remember seeing the ad way back. Thanks for the memories!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the ad. I remember seeing it when I was young, and I showed it to my dad and told him I was going to save up and buy it. My intent was to put it into our pool to figure out how everything worked, then take it to the lake. He was . . . . skeptical. He tried to tell me how it was. I had an answer for everything: Fiberboard: I think we can cover it with something to keep the water out. Missiles: Oh, i know they probably aren't really nuclear missiles, but even just the rockets would be fun, etc.

Anyway, I didn't buy it, and I'm glad. Much better to keep the imagination of a young child alive and delay the day that cynicism and skepticism covers everything like a pall.

I need to borrow some of Dawg's medicine.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

My brother once had a toy called "Power Sub" or something like that. it was a small plastic submarine that accepted a tablet that fizzed like Alka Seltzer as I recall. You'd put it in the bathtub and it would float across the water in the tub, then it would descend and travel underwater, then resurface and stuff like that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My brother once had a toy called "Power Sub" or something like that. it was a small plastic submarine that accepted a tablet that fizzed like Alka Seltzer as I recall. You'd put it in the bathtub and it would float across the water in the tub, then it would descend and travel underwater, then resurface and stuff like that.
OK- here's a favorite Christmas present to me about 5 years ago - the put-put boat. No missiles, but uses real fire - hmm - I'm seeing sub-chaser/sub tub games:

http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/pop-pop/

or if you're not a good scout but handy with money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-NEW-STEAM-DRIVEN-PUT-PUT-OR-POP-POP-BOATS-FROM-INDIA_W0QQitemZ160316728477QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_T oys_Hobbies_Powered_Toys?hash=item160316728477&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A 12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Old 02-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sure it's a little old school, but think of the fun watches you can stand!
"10 day sea trial"-- sounds authentic!

Oh, free trial...

I wonder how they make it go in excess of 25 knots?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took a tour on the ATLANTIS, a submarine based here in the islands. Much less claustrophobic than the virtual tour attached to Jambo's post. A real hoot and BETTER than advertised! Too bad there isn't much to see on the relatively small costal shelf surrounding the islands. It's either too shallow (plan to eventually take the glass bottom boat tour of Kaneohe bay) or relatively devoid of interesting features such as corals or wrecks. However, the tour includes man-made features such as sunken ships/planes and concrete reefs. Artificial as that sounds, the marine life find it "real" enough to inhabit. Saw sea turtles, sharks, and fish of every color and description. Give it a try if you ever come this way. As I recall, there are two subs on Oahu and one on Maui(?) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote