Join Early Retirement Today

Something for thought
Old 03-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Something for thought

We all have fond memories of the past. We had goals that we met or tasks that we accomplished and are proud of.

In 20 years from now, 2017 will be the past. The goals or accomplishments you are working on right now, will become memories of the past in just a few short years.

If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now.

This is just for thought and kind of interesting as life changes for us all.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
...............If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now...............
Thanks, I feel better now.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be glad to have memories of my past achievements. I better write down before forget.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just trying to stay vertical...
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are resting on past achievements and not pressing forward with new goals, you aren't adding anything to those memories for 20 years from now.
I have a 20 page CV to look at if I want to reminisce over my past career achievements. I have no intention of updating it. My goals these days involve enjoying myself. No achievements necessary.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #6

I dont think CV count, we want real achievements.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #7

I think the validity of this depends on your definition of "goals"...
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

For me goals are like new years resolutions.

I don't need no stinkin' goals -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #9

I have plenty of goals now.. and had plenty in the past. I've spent the last 9 months getting my DMIL into an aging facility and moving her stuff on. It really should not take that long. But leaving here in the middle and felling part of it did. Hopefully DW and DMIL will appreciate it. I'm not designing major product lines anymore. But to people involved.. maybe it counts. Maybe when I'm older I might be helping a grandchild afford a college dream... or starting a business... who knows. No grand kids yet. I expect to have some kind of goals... even if it ends up being to remember my name.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Goals?

You mean like have more nice vacations, grow more nice stuff in my garden?

Ok then.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Goals?

Ok then.
yep.... white mountains, NZ mountain hikes... and we will be adding to the garden. Plus I need to learn to make more cakes and pies... and pressure cooker pulled meat!... proper goals
Old 03-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I got one!

Imma gonna ride Rita (R1200RT) thru Yosemite before the end of May.

Yosemite is a nice day ride for me -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #13

sounds like a nice ride. All I have is a V-Strom 650. Would be a long ride from here. But there are nice rides out here... good goals. Enjoy
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I'll be glad to have memories of my past achievements. I better write down before forget.
I am with you. I wrote a blurb called "My 50 years in Electronics" for a journal.
But I will tell you, the last 10 years have it beat!
Attached Files
File Type: doc My recollection of 50 years in Electronics.doc (27.5 KB, 10 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Goals might not have been the best word to use. In life and in my life I like to achieve and work towards something that has meaning and value. It may be a foundation you help support or volunteer work etc. It can be anything you want it to be and work to get there. For me I don't want to look back in 20 years and said I didn't do anything in the last 20 years and I had all the time in the world to do it. I truly want to make the most of my life from now till death.

I read something along this line a while back and it kind of stuck in my mind and reminded me of retirement.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have a 20 page CV to look at if I want to reminisce over my past career achievements. I have no intention of updating it. My goals these days involve enjoying myself. No achievements necessary.

+1! DH & I just retired in November. In January I sat down to develop my 2017 goals and realized I only have one for this year - explore a new way of life!! Don't want to pressure myself to have specific achievements. Maybe I'll feel differently after being retired for a while, but maybe not. Doesn't mean I'm not making new memories that will be fun to look back on in 20 years.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Doesn't mean I'm not making new memories that will be fun to look back on in 20 years.
Exactly! Some achievements make nice memories but not all great memories are based on achievements.
We retired 3.5 years ago. These years produced wonderful memories but only very few that could be counted as achievements.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Goals?

Ok then.
+1

Last year, I was able to grow some tomatoes for the first time. Never had luck with that before.

I have been learning to make more new dishes by watching youtube videos. My wife too. Later this year, my goal is to survive the 6-week road trip through Europe.

Quote:
Goals might not have been the best word to use. In life and in my life I like to achieve and work towards something that has meaning and value. It may be a foundation you help support or volunteer work etc. It can be anything you want it to be and work to get there...
The last few years, I have been donating a lot to charities that feed poor orphans and elderlies in 3rd world countries. I hope that counts.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #19
gone traveling

My goals in retirement are mostly health focused, eat better, exercise more, and have fun, with the later being more mental health related.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Nice! The things talked about keep us going and learning and does create memories.