Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nicely done Walt!

It is funny how many of our generation are quite worried about what millennials and other younger generations will make of themselves, doubting they will find their way. But many of us were to various extents of the bra-less, mini-skirted, long-haired, sex-drugs-rock & roll, anti-establishment, (war) protestor Hippie generation, and our elders were probably at least as concerned as "we" are today. Some Boomers (former Hippies) have fared well, some have certainly not. It's not hard to make the argument that despite our Hippie idealism, Boomers are leaving us worse off than our parents did, but that's another thread.

It's probably timeless and normal for seniors to "wonder" about younger generations, needlessly I hope.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Wow! Just wow!. Good for her. Get her Nords book. "Military Guide to Financial independence and retirement"
I'd just thought of that during this thread and I'm going to order it for her. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Awesome job Walt! Also, if she went from Navy Reserve to active duty, that might be a thing. As a retired (Army) reservist, Tricare allowed to retire at 60. Without Tricare, I'd still be in the gulag.

Is she enlisted grade? With her college, OCS might lead to a superb career path. I get the impression,she might be up to it.

Congrats to both of you!!!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Is she enlisted grade? With her college, OCS might lead to a superb career path. I get the impression,she might be up to it.

Congrats to both of you!!!
Yes, she's enlisted grade. I don't know many much college credits she has but I don't think she has an AA degree.

She's a Master-at-Arms, I think equivalent to Sgt. rank but I'm not sure. She has expressed an interest in police work but I don't know if she intends to go career Navy. If she doesn't the G.I. bill will open a lot of doors for her and that's always a good thing.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #25

Great job, Walt.

Very inspirational story. Sounds like she has her life on a good track.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #26

Kudos to you and your family for what you did for Sarah. I remember reading about her in my "lurking" days.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, she's enlisted grade. I don't know many much college credits she has but I don't think she has an AA degree.

She's a Master-at-Arms, I think equivalent to Sgt. rank but I'm not sure. She has expressed an interest in police work but I don't know if she intends to go career Navy. If she doesn't the G.I. bill will open a lot of doors for her and that's always a good thing.
Might even be able to save the GI Bill benefits.

My youngest (heading straight to undergrad out of high school) strongly considered applying for the local police department's scholarship.

It was at a particular state school that wasn't their first choice, but it only requires 3 years in the department after graduation.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #28

$600 a month is excellent. TBH when I was working that is pretty much all I ever managed to save per month. As young as she is that will grow into a nice nest egg.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

I got through to my son at an early age about saving as much money as you can. He just told me the other day that he has already accumulated 100k at the age of 26.
Done at 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Thank you, Walt, and that's a great story to read. I'm glad she got out of the "mother" environment.

She's welcome to e-mail me (NordsNords at Gmail) if she has any questions about the transition. She could start with the Reserves again and try to balance that career with a full-time civilian career.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #31

Thanks Nords. I talked with SIL the other day and Sarah did graduate with an AA degree but they didn't make any fuss about it so I didn't know. She also intends to go career Navy so I sent her a copy of your book "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement" since it's geared to military financial issues that I know little to nothing about.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

You done good, Walt! And Sarah is as well.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote