Songs for Mothers Day

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With tomorrow being Mother's Day, I think it's appropriate time for me to post another favorite song of mine (and I have thousands!). It's "Mamy Blue", first recorded by the Pop Tops, a Spanish group. The song was a hit in Europe but was not well-known in the US.

YouTube - POP TOPS - MAMY BLUE

But I discovered the musical arrangement by Paul Mauriat first. It led me on the search for the song. I loved the tune, and needed to know the lyrics.

YouTube - Paul Mauriat - Mamy Blue (1971)

Julio Iglesias covered it in English and in French.

YouTube - Julio Iglesias - Mammy blue

If you are not tired of the song yet, here is the Italian version sung by Dalida, the Italian-Egyptian singer living mostly in France, a "Grande Dame" who was well-known throughout Europe as she sung in French, Italian, Arabic, German, Spanish, Hebrew, English, Dutch, and Greek. She killed herself in 1987 by an overdose of barbiturates. Curiously, her first husband and two of her later lovers also committed suicide. I knew of Dalida since my early teenage years.

YouTube - dalida mamy blue

Here is Ricky Shayne in a German version.

YouTube - Ricky Shayne - Mamy Blue 1971

I will spare you the Spanish version, which I thought was fairly good, rendered in Flamenco style.

Mothers Day

If you are lucky enough to still have your Mother, I hope everyone "Just Calls to Say I Love You"(Stevie Wonder). I wish I could.

My mom is in my heart, my head, and is very deeply ingrained in who I am. She is no longer with me physically, but she is always with me, every step of the way. Of that I have no doubt. :angel:
I honor her on Mother's Day by doing something she would have done herself.
Some of that was zany :rolleyes:, some of it was serious, but it was always done with love. :flowers:

Ewwww, Carly Simon is better heard, and never seen.

The song was originally on Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon, which I have on vinyl from back then. Much better with JT doing it alone.

I also like Machine Gun Kelly from that LP... a warning to men about women...

Quite a few good songs on that LP.

I have Mud Slide Slim...on album as well. Will have to check it out. I actually like the duet, but I'll be honest and say I'm only checking out JT in that video. Whew! Pure hotness.
My fave JT album is Sweet Baby James.

Back
Top Bottom