Songs of the Sea

I grew up in a small seaside town. In 1962 there was a disaster at sea where the town's lifeboat, manned by volunteers, put out on a stormy night to rescue a small fishing boat that included a young boy from my school. They were picked up but as the life boat neared the harbor entrance a massive wave capsized it and all lives were lost except one of the men from the fishing boat.

I was only 7 years old at the time but the memory of that evening, watching the lights of the search helicopters and the memorial service at our school is still very strong.

George Elmy disaster..Select a picture to enlarge

This song remains my favorite song of the sea.

ETERNAL FATHER - The Naval Hymn - YouTube

Once again too many to choose one. I just did a video using Changes in Latitude, Changes in Attitude and Sloop John B - all too commonly used like several others, but worked for the target audience. So instead I'll go with a beautiful instrumental that possibly no one here has every heard before...

Hot Tuna - "The Water Song" (1972) - YouTube

I assume someone will put up the remaining two easy ones, Sailing by Christopher Cross and same name by Rod Stewart...

Two versions of The Lonesome Boatman, the first played by the Finbar Furey, who composed it when he was 19. Many years ago, I attended him in the ER when he became ill on tour. He was a charming man. While there are no words, I cannot listen to this without visualizing seagulls swooping and waves heaving, and the salty smell of the ocean.

The Lonesome Boatman - YouTube

"The Lonesome Boatman" ~ The Kilkennys - YouTube

I was going to cite the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but see Purron started with it. Of course, I would have apologized for violating the terms of her request: "Post your favorite songs about the ocean and the sea." Lightfoot's song is about Lake Superior.

I was going to cite the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald but see Purron started with it. Of course, I would have apologized for violating the terms of her request: "Post your favorite songs about the ocean and the sea." Lightfoot's song is about Lake Superior.

I stand corrected.

Attachments

• lake cat.jpg
    lake cat.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 88
I stand corrected.
Hah, your original choice is still a great one. Better to modify your terms to include any sailing songs or some such. After all, storms on the Great Lakes can be pretty horrendous events.

Back
Top Bottom