Songs that sound like the Beatles

Some of Jeff Lynne's songs have a Beatles sound to them, but that may reflect the involvement of George or Ringo with various projects, such as Traveling Wilburys.

According to this site (and I've read this elsewhere), it is not an accident that ELO sounded like some Beatles songs

"Formed in 1970, Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood's intentions with Electric Light Orchestra were 'to pick up were "I Am The Walrus" left off'." A New World Record - Vinyl LP - Electric Light Orchestra

"Alone again (naturally)" always sounded like a Beatles song to me when I heard it from lo-fi radios in later part of the last century. I swore the vocalist was Paul.
I do not think O'Sullivan really sounded like Paul, but this is one of my favorite songs.

I also like that the gloomy lyrics accompany the upbeat sounding music!

Alone Again

In a little while from now,
If I'm not feeling any less sour
I promise myself to treat myself
And visit a nearby tower,
And climbing to the top,
Will throw myself off
In an effort to make it clear to whoever
What it's like when you're shattered
Left standing in the lurch, at a church
Where people are saying,
"My God that's tough, she stood him up!
No point in us remaining.
We may as well go home."
As I did on my own,
Alone again, naturally​
Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (original version) - YouTube

Last edited:
The Beatles Bootleg Recordings 1963 released on iTunes today sounds vaguely like The Beatles, but there may be better cover bands...:LOL:

According to this site (and I've read this elsewhere), it is not an accident that ELO sounded like some Beatles songs "Formed in 1970, Jeff Lynne and Roy Wood's intentions with Electric Light Orchestra were 'to pick up were "I Am The Walrus" left off'." A New World Record - Vinyl LP - Electric Light Orchestra

Maybe this was the connection. I always wondered why they had Jeff Lynne produce their last 2 singles from the mid 90s. Those 2 Beatles songs to me had an ELO sound/influence to them.

Back
Top Bottom