Join Early Retirement Today
Songwriter block, Paul Simon performs unfinished "Still Crazy"
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Songwriter block, Paul Simon performs unfinished "Still Crazy"

A recent NYT guest column by songwriter Darrell Brown talking about songwriting and writers block, it includes a marvelous clip filmed years ago of Paul Simon on the Dick Cavett Show discussing "Still Crazy After All These Years" while only half complete. NYT article here includes interesting thoughts on the creative process.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Loved the interview, thanks for posting. Though the article didn't do much for me.

I love hearing an artist perform a work in progress. It sounded great with just him and guitar, and the final studio version seems unchanged, other than orchestration (Rhodes electric piano taking the main chords).

So I had to listen to the studio version with lyrics. I must say, the verses he had were great, I think we can all place ourselves in that position (even if we don't have an old lover that we might randomly meet and have beers with, we can imagine). And the meaning is clear, but still allows our mind to wander (why isn't he the kind to socialize, why lean on old familiar ways? Why did they break up?). The follow up verses that he wrote later are just kinda weird IMO. I can't relate or see how they fit or what they mean.

Pretty sure it's 'Crapped out' not 'Trapped out', but...

Four in the morning
Trapped out, yawning
Longing my life a--way
I'll never worry
Why should I?
I know it's all gonna fade

Now I sit by my window
And I watch the cars go by
I fear I'll do some damage
One fine day
But I would not be convicted
By a jury of my peers
Still crazy after all these years
Oh, still crazy
Still crazy
Still crazy after all these years

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
This article provides what to me is a fascinating insight on the creative process. For example,
Stuck happens for a lot of reasons but I feel it happens most times because of self-censorship. We fear what we are writing might be terrible, so we end up not writing at all.
if you have gotten stuck it’s more than likely you are “thinking” instead of “creating.”
And best of all,
You feeling stuck today? Well then, tomorrow try this: Get up before the sun and watch the morning rise and write down anything that comes to mind without any judgment at all. Dare to be bad and let perfectionism fly out the window. Less thinking more creating.
Sounds like great advice to me.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
gone traveling
An expanded version of "Rymin' Simon" includes a demo of a partially finished "American Tune" where he hums the melody for the parts that don't have words yet.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote