Join Early Retirement Today

Sony smart TV vs Samsung smart TV ?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sony smart TV vs Samsung smart TV ?

I find lots of knowledge here so hoping there are TV/streaming enthusiasts here too

I am considering to buy Sony Bravia smart tv but need to clarify some details.

Any feedback on this tv is appreciated! ( maybe Samsung is a better option ? )

I usually stream videos from my Plex server via iPhone app to Apple TV

I'd like to understand

1. Does this tv have a plex app available ?
2. Can I stream from iPhone or iPad to this tv ?

Thank you in advance !

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the present retail electronic market, Samsung is as high technology as they get. Televisions are changing so fast that any manufacturer may have 4 or 5 different generations of televisions for sale.

I tend to stick toward the lower priced LCD televisions right now, but they may not have all the high tech features you're looking for. My #1 tv is a LG 60" plasma hooked up to Dish TV, and the picture's still great looking.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Televisions are changing so fast that any manufacturer may have 4 or 5 different generations of televisions for sale.
+1

You need to get the specific TV you are considering and do some research. Try a google search on the model number and look for specifications and reviews of the set's features.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

I have a couple of Samsung Smart TV's and I'm not all impressed with their "smart" features. I much prefer to use a streaming box such as the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV to access smart features. Hopefully, your HDTV will last quite a few years, during which any smart features on your TV will likely become outdated. It's much easier and cheaper to upgrade your streaming box than your HDTV.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #5

If a Samsung TV goes bad under warranty, they send you a refurbished one instead of a new one. Every model I've known has random shut off / restart issues while streaming. I will never buy another Samsung television.

I've had two Bravia sets that lasted years, and my current Sanyo is staying strong.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a Sony XBR man. In my opinion, picture and features are second to none. The XBRs tend to be more expensive.
serie1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The Best Buy TV guy recommended I use Rtings.com - TV Reviews, and I liked the site for its reviews and information. I decided to get a Samsung JS5190, which is a less advanced model than many on the market, but it met my requirements and I am definitely happy with it so far.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The Best Buy TV guy recommended I use Rtings.com - TV Reviews, and I liked the site for its reviews and information.
+1

Note also the site has recommended settings for each model rated. Good information to help you get the best possible picture.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I have a couple of Samsung Smart TV's and I'm not all impressed with their "smart" features. I much prefer to use a streaming box such as the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV to access smart features. Hopefully, your HDTV will last quite a few years, during which any smart features on your TV will likely become outdated. It's much easier and cheaper to upgrade your streaming box than your HDTV.
I agree with this 100%. IME, the TV 'apps' just do not get upgraded as fast (if ever), compared to accessing these through a tablet or laptop and that displays on the TV. I've added Chromecast devices ($30-$35?) to two of our TVs and DW uses those a LOT, and she generally just won't touch any "high tech" way to play TV. But she finds this very easy to use, just 'cast' your app to the TV.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon + Samsung had this same problem last year which took months to resolve. I used my Roku until Samsung finally updated their tvs to accept the changes Amazon made. It's nice to have the apps on your tv but this will happen again on most tvs.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had nothing but problems with Samsung electronics including a smart LED TV that would not run Netflix over wifi despite a strong 105 MBPS internet signal. I have several Panasonic TV's and they have never let me down.

Also had a Samsung top of the line dishwasher that failed and was scrapped when it was less than 5 years old. Back to KitchenAid and no problems since.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Samsung and LG smart TVs, but I end up using the Amazon Firestick as my primary "smart" device. I've tried the chromecast and roku, but the Firestick works best for me.

The original Firestick's processor was a little weak and some apps had lagging issues. The new firestick should resolve that. Also, the FireTV works flawlessly for me too. All 5 of my TV's have either a Fire or Firestick.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #13

After Samsung's issues with phones and washing machines that explode that brand is now dead to me, I wouldn't buy anything they make. They've got a long road ahead to clean up their reputation.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

I have a Samsung smart tv. Great tv but realized I could care less about the smart functions. I purchased a Roku 3 and have been much happier with it. Easier to use, more options, and updated more often.
Triton9918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I find lots of knowledge here so hoping there are TV/streaming enthusiasts here too

I am considering to buy Sony Bravia smart tv but need to clarify some details.

Any feedback on this tv is appreciated! ( maybe Samsung is a better option ? )

I usually stream videos from my Plex server via iPhone app to Apple TV

I'd like to understand

1. Does this tv have a plex app available ?
2. Can I stream from iPhone or iPad to this tv ?

Thank you in advance !
Is there any reason why you wouldn't continue using the Apple TV with your new TV?

I don't have a smart TV, I don't think. My Panasonic Plasma may have Netflix and Youtube but never bothered to really look.

You can either use Apple TV with the new TV to continue to stream from iPhone or iPad.

Typically, the processors in these newer streaming boxes have more powerful processors than the ones they're likely to use in a smart TV.

Plus several smart TVs have been known to spy. If they have microphones or cameras, beware.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I usually go by what Consumer Reports shows and they typically rate Samsung very high. I have to say the smart features are very clumsy and I quickly lose interest. It is just easier to walk over the the PC.
I have had 6 Samsung and I had one go bad on me with a bad capacitor a year after the warranty expired. They gave me a free part but I had to pay for labor. I still have it up in the bedroom.
CR also report LG highly for mid range TV's. I would pick one from Sony, LG, and Samsung based on price. Samsung typically heavily discounts their older models to compete with LG.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'd recommend browsing avsforums.com.

They have a lot of threads on individual models or series of models, with a lot of posts from owners.

They are however more of an enthusiast site so there's an emphasis on picture and sound quality and for more high-end models.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Is there any reason why you wouldn't continue using the Apple TV with your new TV?
That's what my DB is doing.

He purchased a new Samsung TV because it had very nice color at a decent price.

It has a ton of smart TV functionality and he simply ignores it. The only things he has the TV do is switch the HDMI inputs between his TiVo and his Apple TV.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Actually, the newer Tivos have streaming functionality. It has Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Youtube and maybe others.

However, the Hulu client on my third-generation Apple TV is better than the one in my Tivo Roamio.

That's what I mean about differences in processors in these DVRs, streaming set tops, smart TVs, etc.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I'd recommend browsing avsforums.com.

They have a lot of threads on individual models or series of models, with a lot of posts from owners.

They are however more of an enthusiast site so there's an emphasis on picture and sound quality and for more high-end models.
Some of the ratings sites are a little tough on the lower end models too. The Samsung tv I ended up buying was only rated average by CNET, but when I compared the picture to all other models in a store....it looked just as good as the rest to me. Perhaps my aging eyes had something to do with it.

I would say rating sites, forums and product reviews at various sellers are helpful, but nothing takes the place of actually seeing the TV(or any product) in action. I'm happy with my TV and that's all that matters.