Join Early Retirement Today
Soupy Sales dies at 83
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Soupy Sales dies at 83

Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian whose anything-for-a-chuckle career was built on 20,000 pies to the face and 5,000 live TV appearances across a half-century of laughs, has died. He was 83.

As a Kid - I Loved This Guy

kb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Oh, sad news. A very funny and crazy man.

"Now kids. I want you to go into your Mom and Dad's room and see if you can find that little leather bag called a wallet. Yes, that's it. Now open it up and find some pretty green and white pieces of paper with numbers on them. Let's see who can find the most with the highest numbers.

Good! Now put all of them in an envelope and mail them to 'Soupy Sales at...'

Or words to that effect on his national TV show. Crazy, funny guy.

What were his animals' names?

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Seems I remember a 'Fang' or white fang -maybe- but my CRS quotient is relatively high on all things Soupy -- seems the magic words 'Twin Pines' are stuck in there for some reason... or was that Milky the Clown?
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Somehow I remember his asking kids to send money with the old guys pictures on it to him...and thought that was just brilliantly hysterical even as a kid myself. Good to know he was a good guy in real life, too. I just used to think he was really cute when I was a young girl. Hope he felt he had a good life when he went as he deserved it.
Please consider adopting a rescue animal. So very many need a furr-ever home and someone to love them! And if we all spay/neuter our pets there won't be an overpopulation to put to death.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Oh, sad news. A very funny and crazy man.

What were his animals' names?
White Fang...Black Tooth...Hippy the Hippo...Willy the Worm and Pooky the Lion.

How do I know?

Because I was a Birdbath, a member of Soupy's fan club for kids!

My brother and I would race home from school for lunch (we had 30 minutes) and our Mom would have our food ready and on the table -- often a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup -- with the TV on and tuned to "Lunch with Soupy." Boy, how we looked forward to seeing him get hit with that cream pie! We'd hang onto every joke, repeating the punch lines as we raced the four blocks back to school! Wow, how times have changed.

RIP Soupy. You were an important part of my childhood!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Whoa, so few replies on this thread. I was truly saddened to hear about the passing of Soupy. We--at least most of the dipshit guys in high school--loved him. The jocks and the cute girls--well, not so much. Actually, I'm not so sure about the cute girls--they wouldn't tell me. More precisely, they wouldn't talk to me. But, gee, Soupy, "oh, reh, oh reh." The guy was just wide-eyed, open, friendly and goofy with seemingly no underlying agenda or malice. He seemed to really like White Fang and Black Tooth and Pookie.

When I was in high school, I got to see a couple of shows being made. And, it was just kind of bizarre. Everyone just sort of screwing around, being funny. Nobody was uptight. The set looked hand-made by hands that didn't exactly know how to make things. But, it all worked really well. I'll be missing Soupy. But, his name lives on (sort of) because one of my screen names for many years now has been "Pookmeat."

Hmnn, after re-reading this, maybe I could have been more popular in school if I didn't walk around saying "oh reh, oh reh" so much. Guess that could get on the cute girls' last nerve. But, I wouldn't know that for sure because they would never talk to me. I've got to stop obsessing about this.

redduck is offline   Reply With Quote