Soupy Sales dies at 83

kb56

Dryer sheet aficionado
Soupy Sales, the rubber-faced comedian whose anything-for-a-chuckle career was built on 20,000 pies to the face and 5,000 live TV appearances across a half-century of laughs, has died. He was 83.

PittsburghTrib.com

As a Kid - I Loved This Guy :cool:

Oh, sad news. A very funny and crazy man.

"Now kids. I want you to go into your Mom and Dad's room and see if you can find that little leather bag called a wallet. Yes, that's it. Now open it up and find some pretty green and white pieces of paper with numbers on them. Let's see who can find the most with the highest numbers.

Good! Now put all of them in an envelope and mail them to 'Soupy Sales at...'

Or words to that effect on his national TV show. Crazy, funny guy.

What were his animals' names?

Seems I remember a 'Fang' or white fang -maybe- but my CRS quotient is relatively high on all things Soupy -- seems the magic words 'Twin Pines' are stuck in there for some reason... or was that Milky the Clown?

Somehow I remember his asking kids to send money with the old guys pictures on it to him...and thought that was just brilliantly hysterical even as a kid myself. Good to know he was a good guy in real life, too. I just used to think he was really cute when I was a young girl. Hope he felt he had a good life when he went as he deserved it.

Oh, sad news. A very funny and crazy man.

What were his animals' names?

White Fang...Black Tooth...Hippy the Hippo...Willy the Worm and Pooky the Lion.

How do I know?

Because I was a Birdbath, a member of Soupy's fan club for kids!

My brother and I would race home from school for lunch (we had 30 minutes) and our Mom would have our food ready and on the table -- often a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup -- with the TV on and tuned to "Lunch with Soupy." Boy, how we looked forward to seeing him get hit with that cream pie! We'd hang onto every joke, repeating the punch lines as we raced the four blocks back to school! Wow, how times have changed.

RIP Soupy. You were an important part of my childhood!

Last edited:
Whoa, so few replies on this thread. I was truly saddened to hear about the passing of Soupy. We--at least most of the dipshit guys in high school--loved him. The jocks and the cute girls--well, not so much. Actually, I'm not so sure about the cute girls--they wouldn't tell me. More precisely, they wouldn't talk to me. But, gee, Soupy, "oh, reh, oh reh." The guy was just wide-eyed, open, friendly and goofy with seemingly no underlying agenda or malice. He seemed to really like White Fang and Black Tooth and Pookie.

When I was in high school, I got to see a couple of shows being made. And, it was just kind of bizarre. Everyone just sort of screwing around, being funny. Nobody was uptight. The set looked hand-made by hands that didn't exactly know how to make things. But, it all worked really well. I'll be missing Soupy. But, his name lives on (sort of) because one of my screen names for many years now has been "Pookmeat."

Hmnn, after re-reading this, maybe I could have been more popular in school if I didn't walk around saying "oh reh, oh reh" so much. Guess that could get on the cute girls' last nerve. But, I wouldn't know that for sure because they would never talk to me. I've got to stop obsessing about this.

Back
Top Bottom