Source For Making Single Bound Book

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
As a present, I'd like to take a word document and have it bound into a book with a nice binding. This isn't a photo book, just text with some pictures included.

Anyone have a source for a place that will do that?

Thanks,

Seemed to be several online, here's just one Bookbinding Service. Would think it would be pricey, but didn't check pricing.

Kinkos? No idea if they do this sort of thing. I assume they just do the cheap plastic spiral type.

-CC

Not sure how "nice" it has to be.. but some copy shops (esp. larger ones serving larger markets) have a kind of one-off perfect binding (that's the kind where the pages are glued to the cover along the spine, like a paperback book). It's a definite step above the wire/plastic binding. If they don't do it in house, they may have a place to send it out. Ask to see a sample to make sure you'd be happy with the results, though.

OR you could try Japanese bookbinding!
Sewn styles

If you wanted to call your book "passion saving" I know where you can get about 24,995 copies, knock the old pages out and glue yours in...

If you wanted to call your book "passion saving" I know where you can get about 24,995 copies, knock the old pages out and glue yours in...

So YOU bought them all! Way to take one for the team.

-CC

No, he still has all but a couple.

I didnt think that giving him my credit card number was a good move, even for a precious keepsake.

I've taken an exercise book to Kinko's, had them cut off the binding, and had them use the spiral binding so that it's easier to flip through when it's on the floor. Cost me $4 but this was about 7 years ago.

Many years ago I used Kinko's to have multiple copies of my thesis bound and library ready, with gold engraving on the front and spine. It was relatively cheap, looked good and has stood the test of time (albeit not a frequently used volume).

Oldbabe, that's a great link! I'm bookmarking it for future reference. Thanks!

TromboneAl, contact your local graduate school and ask where they recommend theses and dissertations be bound. In our town, that was a local, independent printer. Worked out great.

My father wrote a family geneology and had it bound in leather with gold edges and a sewn binding at one of those "vanity publishers". I think that cost a fortune.

Back in the day I got 50 copies of my dissertation xeroxed and bound with a flexible leather-like (synthetic) cover at a xerox shop right across the street from Texas A&M. I even got to choose the color (so I chose Aggie maroon with gold lettering, of course! :2funny:) Go to the xerox place closest to your local university and they will show you examples of what they can do. The three that I have left have lasted for many years, even though not sewn. Best of all, can we say CHEAP? The cost of binding was trivial compared with the cost of Xeroxing that much on good paper.

The actual theses and dissertations on blue-line paper that Texas A&M had bound for the library and department were bound elsewhere on contract, by a place that wouldn't do individual small orders.

Back
Top Bottom