Southwest heat wave

This sure has been a weird weather week. I see news reports that the Southwest is experiencing record breaking heat waves. Palm Springs reached over 120 degrees this week.

And yet in the beach communities we've had a heavy marine layer all week, and have barely seen the sun poke through the clouds. June has a history of being a little gloomy, but this is the gloomiest June I can remember since I moved to the beach almost 20 years ago.

I've had my sweatshirt on for the past five days now. The lack of sun is just depressing me. I don't think I would do well in Seattle.

Yes. The real question is not what the outdoor temperature is, but what the indoor one is. I was reminded of that a few days ago in Paris, where the temperature was merely 96F, outside as well as inside.

Now, that means admitting that AC is considered a life-support system in the Southwest, and I have been saying this for years. That in turn begs the question: What does one do when the AC fails, or the utility power is out?

Ah, this is where my 2nd home at 7,000-ft elevation comes in handy. As long as I have at least 1/2 tank of gas in my car, I can escape to there in 2.5 hours.

A prudent guy always plans for contingencies, and has backups.:cool:

Note you could always go back to the pre swamp cooler ways, which is to put up indoor clotheslines, wet some sheets and hang them.

This sure has been a weird weather week. I see news reports that the Southwest is experiencing record breaking heat waves. Palm Springs reached over 120 degrees this week.

And yet in the beach communities we've had a heavy marine layer all week, and have barely seen the sun poke through the clouds. June has a history of being a little gloomy, but this is the gloomiest June I can remember since I moved to the beach almost 20 years ago.

I've had my sweatshirt on for the past five days now. The lack of sun is just depressing me. I don't think I would do well in Seattle.

It's 80 degree here in Hawaii while my city is still 73 degree.

Note you could always go back to the pre swamp cooler ways, which is to put up indoor clotheslines, wet some sheets and hang them.

Yes, that is another backup plan. And not all backup plans give the same result. :cool:

You're in Ventura County, right? Way down here by the border, we've been talking about how this has been one of the least gloomy Junes in a while. We've only had a few days this month where we didn't see any sun at all, and in the last week we've had several days of full sun.

You're in Ventura County, right? Way down here by the border, we've been talking about how this has been one of the least gloomy Junes in a while. We've only had a few days this month where we didn't see any sun at all, and in the last week we've had several days of full sun.

Orange County.

Just got home to Michigan after a trip around the California Sierras. At Red Rock Canyon State Park it was 112F. I just popped out of the car for than no more than 10 minutes at a time to take a few pictures. Would have done some hiking.

Orange County.

Oh I'm sorry, I had you mixed up with another forum regular. I think this June is just a weird one with some places extra gray and others sunnier than usual. In fact, we've got sun again today.

Back
Top Bottom