Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where do you fall in this critical debate?
Soy Only 3 8.11%
Milk Only 21 56.76%
Both 11 29.73%
Neither 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Soy or Dairy?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco

The eloquence with which you describe the differences is... uh, well, uh.
nothing like getting to the point
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's all a matter of what you get used to. I used to think soy juice was not so tasty, now whole milk creeps me out. In the Peace Corps, I had a family that gave me fresh cow milk in the morning after milking. Wholly 3rd world unsanitary but killer when I was living on 95 degree water from a cistern in the tropics.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
SOY AINT MILK, ITS SOY JUICE cause there is no such thing as soy titties

get that stuff out of the dairy case with the milk and give it its own home
correct. it needs to go with the milkweed, um, juice.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
You have curds in your whey

Saddam had Kurds in his way.

reminds me of a phrase from college days.

down with the shaw of iran.

i ran the shaw down.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
1% dairy milk. I can't work down to a lower %age than that. Skim milk just doesn't taste right.
Hey, hey HEY - - don't knock my skim milk! : I love it, though I admit that it took me a while to get used to it.

The best part about being used to skim milk, is that nonfat dry milk mixed with cold water tastes normal when you are used to skim milk. I never have to make separate milk runs to the store in the middle of the week if I run out, since I keep a big box of nonfat dry milk on the shelf.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #26

im lactose intolerant,as aremillions of others...a sure sign that i dont need to be ingesting bovine fluids
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #27

Wiki has a pretty good run down of the concerns and benefits of milk and soy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy

note the section on "pus" in the milk one - yum!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed
im lactose intolerant,as aremillions of others...a sure sign that i dont need to be ingesting bovine fluids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
Wiki has a pretty good run down of the concerns and benefits of milk and soy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy

note the section on "pus" in the milk one - yum!

Bovine body fluids... pus..... Yuck. For some reason I think I will skip that glass of milk this morning.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 AM   #29

Well, if you're gonna have a baby, the NY Times speaks ill of veganism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/op...html?th&emc=th

A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers, who need plenty of protein and calcium. Too often, vegans turn to soy, which actually inhibits growth and reduces absorption of protein and minerals. That’s why health officials in Britain, Canada and other countries express caution about soy for babies. (Not here, though — perhaps because our farm policy is so soy-friendly.)

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
That's a good, concise article that ties things up nicely. But, please be careful: It turns out that questioning vegetarianism/veganism is just about like questioning a religion in some cases.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/op...html?th&emc=th

A vegan diet is equally dangerous for weaned babies and toddlers, who need plenty of protein and calcium. Too often, vegans turn to soy, which actually inhibits growth and reduces absorption of protein and minerals. That’s why health officials in Britain, Canada and other countries express caution about soy for babies. (Not here, though — perhaps because our farm policy is so soy-friendly.)
oh - that is terribly sad! there was a couple in the bay area who's baby died for the same reason and their older kids were terribly malnourished. you can't just feed them broccoli -i saw the court proceedings and a nutritionist was saying how you had to eat pounds and pounds of broccoli/carrots and whatever other raw veggies (they were only eating raw) to get nutrition and that still gave them a shortfall in other key nutrients... ignorance goes both ways...poor babies!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
That's a good, concise article that ties things up nicely. But, please be careful: It turns out that questioning vegetarianism/veganism is just about like questioning a religion in some cases.
One that appears to be having difficulty saving itself from extinction...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Probably less than eight ounces a day. Soy milk seems way too expensive.
you can get a soy milk maker from chinese grocery store to make it fresh for just the price of beans, water, and electricity (and the machine). Really delicious fresh.

the cheaper way is to:
boil/soak beans, grind in blender or Vitamixer, filter through cheesecloth, then cook on stove. Add sugar to taste. Also very tasty, but labor intensive, but ideal activity for FIRE person.

can get organic soy beans.

Anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma? Gives all the scarey gritty detail of the food supply chain. Makes you wonder about what is distilled into the cow's milk available for purchase.
Breastfeeding mommas are told to eat healthy, avoid unnecessary drugs. But nowadays, cows are pumped with growth hormones, antibiotics, cheap feed.

FWIW we get Organic Valley milk. Read online that Costco organic milk is "barely" organic: they buy from farms that ship the pent up/ warehoused cows out to pasture for 20 min a day, then back into the warehouse. Theoretically a land owner could "rent" out his land in 30 min swathes. Would milk from a cow pastured at 01:30 - 02:00 be organic?
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S.
you can get a soy milk maker from chinese grocery store to make it fresh for just the price of beans, water, and electricity (and the machine). Really delicious fresh.

the cheaper way is to:
boil/soak beans, grind in blender or Vitamixer, filter through cheesecloth, then cook on stove. Add sugar to taste. Also very tasty, but labor intensive, but ideal activity for FIRE person.

can get organic soy beans.

Anyone read The Omnivore's Dilemma? Gives all the scarey gritty detail of the food supply chain. Makes you wonder about what is distilled into the cow's milk available for purchase.
Breastfeeding mommas are told to eat healthy, avoid unnecessary drugs. But nowadays, cows are pumped with growth hormones, antibiotics, cheap feed.

FWIW we get Organic Valley milk. Read online that Costco organic milk is "barely" organic: they buy from farms that ship the pent up/ warehoused cows out to pasture for 20 min a day, then back into the warehouse. Theoretically a land owner could "rent" out his land in 30 min swathes. Would milk from a cow pastured at 01:30 - 02:00 be organic?
i used to buy from chinatown too - the green cap is for no sugar, red cap for sugar - i got red of course! it does go bad pretty quickly though and i'm pretty sure they don't use organic soybeans.

as for the organic milk - aren't you confusing organic w/ free range? i thought the organic just had to do w/ the feed/no hormones - which does sometimes come with the better treatment, but not always...like for eggs- there are free range and non free range, free range but not organic, free range and organic etc...unless the organic label stipulates pasture time too? not sure...but i didn't assume it did.