Soy or Dairy?

Where do you fall in this critical debate?

• Soy Only

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Milk Only

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Both

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

bright eyed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In this land of fierce debates, wondering where this group lies in one of the most heated debates of our time?! :eek:

My family uses both - but there is increasing research coming out saying there is too much soy in the american diet - probably more so the more you are veggie or try to be "healthy." Further complicated by my asian heritage, we eat a lot of soy given our "healthy" and asian background!!!

Dairy - I don't believe all the hype about calcium since milk/dairy consuming countries have much higher rates of osteoporosis than non-dairy consuming countries - my mom being an example w/ excellent bone health for her age and little to no dairy in her diet - she gets calcium from veggies, bone based soups, sardines etc.

Here is what I have come across for cons on both sides:
Soy: can screw w/ boys cuz it has estrogen, not sure how that affects girls

Dairy: organic or not, we're not supposed to drink it and our bodies react with all kinds of things like increased mucus, allergies, indigestion - you can google milk and get a wide range of wackadoo looking sites on this one.

Benefits:
Soy- great for reducing heart problems, high protein...among a longer list

Dairy - calcium, protein

So - I can't decide - we use both. Soy for cereal/coffee/cookie dunking and Dairy for ice cream, cheese...

Anyone have strong or more conclusive feelings on this one?

Scan der hovian, Finn, and a few scattered Germans, English here and there in the old family tree.

ICE CREAM - all kinds with lotsa chocolate syrup, nuts and other bad stuff.

Plus 30 years in New Orleans eating that fried high fat diet.

A month or so from age 64.

Better get some more KC BBQ down to thin out the ice cream - before I croak.

heh heh heh - some of us are bad to the bone. :D

BTW - knew several people in New Orleans who were lactose intolerant - genetic:confused: Right?

No liquid milk, but small daily amounts of cheese or yogurt. Cheese from local goat farm.

i've tried soy cheese at a local vegan restaurant whose owner happens to be friends with (from another post) bob barker. to me it is disgusting (not the restaurant or bob, but the cheese).

i like whole milk cheeses, skim milk drinks, whey protein, tofu & edamame so i voted both.

what with the whey and the soybean curds, i'm little miss muffet.

we use soymilk and tofu, but also eat yogurt and cheese in the dairy line. Don't drink any liquid milk, mostly because we only buy organic and have to get half gallons, and don't use it fast enough. The aseptic packaging of a quart of soymilk is easier.

Just don't like soy cheeses, etc. and want really good cheese, so just eat less of it, but the good stuff. We do eat organic nonfat yogurt every day.

LooseChickens

Probably less than eight ounces a day. Soy milk seems way too expensive.

But spouse eats soybeans raw, and we use tofu in place of a lot of meat.

We plow through more than a gallon of milk a day here, plus the wife finishes off a quart of vanilla soymilk every few days.

I use a blend of 3/4 cup soy milk, 3/4 cup skim milk on my oatmeal in the morning. It's pretty good, especially with a bunch of blueberrys and blackberries on top!

dairy all the way - 2% milk, lotsa cheeses, Breyers vanilla ice cream with strong coffee poured on top....

I think there is some research having to do with different racial/regional types processing different foods better or worse than others. Like the Inuit doing just fine with a very high fat diet, others doing very well with fish, others with dairy. Don't remember where I read that..

cut & pasted from some web site (don't think that 2% saves ya a whole lot):

Whole Milk - 150 Calories - 8g Fat
2% Milk - 120 Calories - 4.5g Fat
1% Milk - 100 Calories - 2.5g Fat
Skim Milk - 80 Calories - 0g Fat

lazygood4nothinbum said:
what with the whey and the soybean curds, i'm little miss muffet.

Then you have a lot in common with the late S.Hussein of Iraq (I hope I am being sufficiently respectful of the dead not to incur the wrath of anyone here)

You have curds in your whey

Saddam had Kurds in his way.

The amazing soy bean! everything from soy milk, ink... to diesel fuel.

DW drinks soy. I have not tried it... but I suspect is is close to its cousin; diesel fuel.

She also like 1% milk. Looks like cloudy water. Ick! I will bet that stuff is made by taking 1 gallon of vitamin D whole milk and adding 4 gallons of water to it. Great profit margin. But then again... you probably pay more for bottled water. :confused:

Personally I prefer regular whole Milk... none of that skim stuff for me.

As a child, I spent summers on my grandparents farm: pigs, chickens, turkeys, Jersey cows. They delivered milk, eggs and oven ready chickens door-to-door.

Wonderful creamy unpasteurized unhomogenized high cream count milk; homemade whipped cream; homemade butter.

No modern supermarket milk can compare, and I'm not going to buy a cow.

Only dairy here! No soy! I've tried it....don't like it. The only way I'm getting soy, is if the silage the cows are eating contains it. :D

SOY AINT MILK, ITS SOY JUICE cause there is no such thing as soy titties

get that stuff out of the dairy case with the milk and give it its own home

I find milk disgusting, and soy milk imitation-disgusting, so I drink neither.

Love cheese and ice cream, and eat tofu, natto, etc. all the time, so I get the good
and bad of both. But not in liquid form, please.

mathjak107 said:

The eloquence with which you describe the differences is... uh, well, uh. :-[

1% dairy milk. I can't work down to a lower %age than that. Skim milk just doesn't taste right.

I didn't care for soy milk.

I think some of the problems people have with many of these "substitute foods" is the marketing/expectations. When I eat a "vegetable burger," "turkey bacon," "soy milk" etc I try not to compare it to the "real" thing. It is not a burger, bacon strip, glass of milk, it is something entirely different (despite the marketing on the package). The important thing is: does the food taste good in its own right, irrespective of the similarity in taste/feel to the the "real" thing. For me, soy juice doesn't taste good, but veggy/soy patties, turkey "bacon" do.

chinaco said:
The eloquence with which you describe the differences is... uh, well, uh. :-[

nothing like getting to the point

It's all a matter of what you get used to. I used to think soy juice was not so tasty, now whole milk creeps me out. In the Peace Corps, I had a family that gave me fresh cow milk in the morning after milking. Wholly 3rd world unsanitary but killer when I was living on 95 degree water from a cistern in the tropics.

mathjak107 said:

correct. it needs to go with the milkweed, um, juice.

F M All said:
You have curds in your whey

Saddam had Kurds in his way.

reminds me of a phrase from college days.

down with the shaw of iran.

i ran the shaw down.

samclem said:
1% dairy milk. I can't work down to a lower %age than that. Skim milk just doesn't taste right.

Hey, hey HEY - - don't knock my skim milk! ::) :LOL: I love it, though I admit that it took me a while to get used to it.

The best part about being used to skim milk, is that nonfat dry milk mixed with cold water tastes normal when you are used to skim milk. I never have to make separate milk runs to the store in the middle of the week if I run out, since I keep a big box of nonfat dry milk on the shelf.

Back
Top Bottom