Space Shuttle....

TP, NASA has already announced the plan for the shuttles when the program ends:

...the U.S. government sweetened the pot for museums and institutions hoping to snare a space shuttle for their collections. The new asking price -- which basically covers travel costs -- is a recession-friendly $28.8 million -- a markdown of more one-third off the original $42 million fee.
Space Shuttle for Sale -- Cheap : Discovery News

TP, NASA has already announced the plan for the shuttles when the program ends:

Space Shuttle for Sale -- Cheap : Discovery News

I know.... but that got me thinking of what is a better use for one of them... and I bet having it connected to the space station is better use than sitting in a museum... heck, build a mock up and let it go at that... but the space it can provide at the space station has got to be worth something.... heck, it has doors that open and close... like a big garage... and if you don't open them... it still has a lot of storage room...

I think this is a classic example of the difference between private industry and the government.

Google is offering $30 million to the team that can send a robot to the moon, collect lunar sample and send back the result. For roughly the same price you get a used shuttle that is stuck on earth.

NASA closer to getting extra space shuttle flight - Yahoo! News

OK... it looks like we might get another space shuttle flight...

And then I was thinking... why not send one up and just leave it at the space station... there is a LOT of room for them to use it for expansion... and it already is built and will not be used again...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the shuttle program, think it made NASA Astronauts into Space Truckers. Money could have been spent on more Mars Mission and deep space missions. The extra shuttle mission is what you get when Politicians are up for re election.

Back
Top Bottom