Join Early Retirement Today

Space Shuttle workers face hard times...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Space Shuttle workers face hard times...

This article, (below), was posted in the paper. I have mixed emotions about this. I think many of these people were entrenched in their jobs and not looking at the reality of the situation. I have gone through a couple large reorganizations and know what it's like to go through something like that. However, I jumped before the axe fell, and moved on. Do you think many of these people were too passive about their situation? Maybe I am too harsh? No one will look out for you...but you. Opinions?
Space workers struggle a year after last shuttle | Fox News

TITUSVILLE, Fla. – A year after NASA ended the three-decade-long U.S. space shuttle program, thousands of formerly well-paid engineers and other workers around the Kennedy Space Center are still struggling to find jobs to replace the careers that flourished when shuttles blasted off from the Florida "Space Coast."
Some have headed to South Carolina to build airplanes in that state's growing industry, and others have moved as far as Afghanistan to work as government contractors. Some found lower-paying jobs beneath their technical skills that allowed them to stay. Many are still looking for work and cutting back on things like driving and utilities to save money.

___

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I attempted to post my own comments on this article, but they wanted me to log in to facebook and post that way. I get enough spammy crap on my facebook already...

Basically, my feeling is that anybody earning anything close to 100k a year who hasn't prepared themselves for retirement by their mid-50's or 60's really has no right to gripe about this kind of situation. What were they doing with the money in the preceding years? How can you be 60 yrs old, earning 100k and have nothing to show for it? Poor planning and not my fault. I do feel some for the mid-aged workers with young families. However, this wasn't a surprise, there was talk about it for quite awhile before it happened. Sometimes you have to try to get ahead of the ball before it actually runs over you.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Poor planning and not my fault.
I must have missed the part of the article where they blamed you...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The 62 year old former projects manager worked 33 years there...wasn' t there a pension of some sorts he can draw from?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I attempted to post my own comments on this article, but they wanted me to log in to facebook and post that way. I get enough spammy crap on my facebook already...

Basically, my feeling is that anybody earning anything close to 100k a year who hasn't prepared themselves for retirement by their mid-50's or 60's really has no right to gripe about this kind of situation. What were they doing with the money in the preceding years? How can you be 60 yrs old, earning 100k and have nothing to show for it? Poor planning and not my fault. I do feel some for the mid-aged workers with young families. However, this wasn't a surprise, there was talk about it for quite awhile before it happened. Sometimes you have to try to get ahead of the ball before it actually runs over you.
Hey there Marty! (1 yr 5 months for me!). Yes, when I saw the salaries I wondered that, too. And I would think many of them would have some sort of buyout since many are contractors, but who knows. I was also thinking about not being prepared and knowing the train was about to wreck. Not good planning.

Also, sometimes your job is so specialized that you price yourself right out of the market, too. And now it's, "Welcome to the real world"...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Large government programs sometimes do this. I'm thinking of the aerospace layoffs in the 1970's, the defense layoff's in the 1970's, the naval base closures in the 1990's, etc.

But similar things happen in the private sector all the time. Happens every time we go into recessions.

It's tough out there. Few are completely safe.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw a shoe (IIRC, 60 minutes)... and I was thinking the same thing...

The complaint was 'I worked here 30 whatever years and now I am left in the cold'....

Like any other job market, you have to be flexible... if there are no more launches, then your job has been eliminated (like the buggy whip makers)... you take your skills and move on to where your skill is needed... and it is not Titusville...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
The 62 year old former projects manager worked 33 years there...wasn' t there a pension of some sorts he can draw from?
Ha!

I worked as a PM upon my retirement. The only thing I was "given" was the proceeds from my 401(k) along with my own personal savings, after almost 30 years.

It's a different world out there for non-government workers, along with the current (not post-WWII) generation.

Welcome to the (current) future...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

I grew up in Titusville. I still have family there. It is sad to see how much the town has declined. It is equally sad to consider that the next people to walk on the moon or even to go to Mars will not be Americans. Real estate prices in Titusville are way down. Good news if you are looking for a nice house at a bargain price. Bad news for my extended family as we have two houses to sell there.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclarksnakes View Post
I grew up in Titusville. I still have family there. It is sad to see how much the town has declined. It is equally sad to consider that the next people to walk on the moon or even to go to Mars will not be Americans. Real estate prices in Titusville are way down. Good news if you are looking for a nice house at a bargain price. Bad news for my extended family as we have two houses to sell there.
A friend of mine is one of the folks who worked there and lost his job. He had only been on the job for 3-4 yrs, is in his late 40's and is an engineer. He was already living in the area, really likes it, and I'd be surprised if he decides to relocate. I think he's been socking away money for retirement, but I doubt he'll be able to do it just yet. Great guy, and I hope he finds something worthy of his talents.

I have been to the Titusville area, but it's been a long, long time. I thought it was a pretty cool place back in 1979, but haven't been back since.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #11

Bill, the guy who went to Afghanistan for a year, understands the picture. The nasa environment they worked in was very specialized, very lucrative, but subject to macro forces. Sometimes you need to make a tough choice of your own and move on.