Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Another step in the exciting saga of private space exploration! Blue Origin Beats SpaceX In Landing Reusable Rocket | Popular Science

Having Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk slugging it out can only lead to good things for my future as an irascible old asteroid prospector.
When I watched the video I thought I was watching a 1950's space TV series. Great accomplishment IMO. Very hard to do...right.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Elon Musk and the folks at SpaceX did it - launched satellites and returned the first stage to the launch site for a safe landing.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovati...losion-n483921

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #383
Full time employment: Posting here.

That was incredible! Wish I was back in Florida for the live launch and landing, but got stuck up north for some holiday stuff.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #384
Recycles dryer sheets

It was amazing. Should dramatically change the economics of launch vehicles. DIL is Space X employee and she is stoked.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
It was amazing. Should dramatically change the economics of launch vehicles. DIL is Space X employee and she is stoked.

That's great! I watched the live feed, and the Space X employees were REALLY happy. It's not easy to get that many engineers jumping, dancing around, and hugging.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #386
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Score another few points for the disrupters.

I wonder how much a 'refurbished' first stage costs?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #387
Give me a forum ...

I clapped along with the SpaceX employees. What a remarkable achievement, especially for young private company, started by an immigrant.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #388

A perfect time for launch, too. Prime time, night launch. And the employees could work until 7:00 or so, then hit the launch party. Wonder if they served beer
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Space - The Final Frontier

I really enjoyed watching the reaction of the SpaceX employees. Seeing these modern young energetic people who have accomplished so much in their young lives fills me with hope and anticipation for the future.

They may not all be males dressed in white shirts and ties, but they share the brains, creativity and enthusiasm that put humans into space and our robots onto other planets. It's inspiring.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Score another few points for the disrupters.

I wonder how much a 'refurbished' first stage costs?

That's the big question. $60 million investment in current Falcon 9. $200,000 for new fuel. The rest of costs are estimates.

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #391
Recycles dryer sheets

Phenomenal accomplishment ...not as grand a goal as NASA set for itself with its many variations of returnable components, but this will form basis for being able to do it in a repeatable fashion with larger boosters and payloads.

We are kinda stuck at LEO until some black swan event occurs wrt propulsive technologies.

BTW - while NASA gets the glory, just like the AF does when "they" launch something, most of the work, including development, engineering, production, etc, is done by American industry - under contract. Kinda like the Navy building ships - they don't, but they do hire American industry to do it for them.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #392
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Phenomenal accomplishment ...not as grand a goal as NASA set for itself with its many variations of returnable components, but this will form basis for being able to do it in a repeatable fashion with larger boosters and payloads.

We are kinda stuck at LEO until some black swan event occurs wrt propulsive technologies.

BTW - while NASA gets the glory, just like the AF does when "they" launch something, most of the work, including development, engineering, production, etc, is done by American industry - under contract. Kinda like the Navy building ships - they don't, but they do hire American industry to do it for them.

True, but LEO is where we need tot be in order to perfect various technologies. We will go back to the moon and Mars soon enough.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #393
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry...would have responded earlier, but been out of town.

I'm not sure what propulsive tech can be developed at LEO that can't be developed on Earth.

And, sadly, I believe the Chinese will be next back to the moon ...the US goal of going to Mars is admirable, but not likely to happen if we continue to insist on bringing the folks we send there, back.

NASA also does not have and is not likely to ever get enough budget to address Mars for real ...it would need to at least double for 10 years.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #394
Give me a forum ...

SpaceX has created an edited video of the landing.

It never gets old watching this. I also think this has to be the ultimate recruiting video. Hell I'd come out of retirement if I could work there.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:42 PM   #395
Give me a forum ...

The next launch will attempt to land the Falcon 9 first stage on the barge again. Apparently, some launches either require so much fuel they can't get back to land, or the direction they take precludes getting back to land. Thus the need to be able to land the rocket on a barge. Given the accuracy they have shown, the biggest problem will probably be keeping the barge steady.

http://www.gizmag.com/spacex-falcon-...landing/41255/
Old 01-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #396

Quote:
Hell I'd come out of retirement if I could work there.
Maybe. But do remember they are well known for long working hours. Typically 16 hour days 7 days a week when trying to hit deadlines, which is pretty often.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #397
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Maybe. But do remember they are well known for long working hours. Typically 16 hour days 7 days a week when trying to hit deadlines, which is pretty often.
You are right, and it would be a lot easier at 26 than 56, but maybe for a year or so. Realistically, I have a better shot of winning the Powerball lottery than getting hired.

Still, it would be cool to be part of such an amazing company.

Update. A teacher friend of mine said she was going to show this to her 6th graders.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #398
Recycles dryer sheets

DIL works there. Work life balance - not so much.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #399
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Yep. Also you can hit a glitch and do the hurry up and wait. Two years working on other stuff, Skylab, etc while Mars got back to the right spot.

We weren't ready the first time.

heh heh heh - Wish I was young again to do another 30 years.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The next launch will attempt to land the Falcon 9 first stage on the barge again. Apparently, some launches either require so much fuel they can't get back to land, or the direction they take precludes getting back to land. Thus the need to be able to land the rocket on a barge. Given the accuracy they have shown, the biggest problem will probably be keeping the barge steady.

SpaceX to try another Falcon 9 sea-barge landing
It takes less fuel to launch at the equator because the earth is moving faster there. That is the ideal launch site.

Tags
space spacex