Space - The Final Frontier

Both I think

Saw the video and it look like it might have started in or at the second stage area but I'm not a rocket scientist so idk.

I always hate seeing these because you know that it will cause a delay of perhaps a year and it seemed that SpaceX was on a roll recently.

IIRC this was supposed to be the re-use of a "space experienced" lift stage. Will be interesting to read the postmortem on the root-cause.

IIRC this was supposed to be the re-use of a "space experienced" lift stage. Will be interesting to read the postmortem on the root-cause.

Reuse of the first stag was announced for later this year but who knows what will happen now. I believe this was a brand new rocket.

What a waste.

Does that count as an oops or and aw$hit?

Even though I am a confirmed Elon Musk hater, I throw him a bone or two on these " mission anomalies " . Stuff does blow up from time to time , with everyone's rockets ;)

Under optimum conditions, rocket launches are controlled explosions. Other times they're just explosions...

Just saw the headline of this [-]launch[/-] failure. I am not a fan of Elon Musk, but I hate to see failures like this.

The companies I worked for had this kind of setback too. Who doesn't?

I don't know why people pay money to get a ride on a rocket. Heck, they will never be able to pay me enough.

Last edited:
For those who "hate" Elon Musk or are just "not a fan" may I ask why ?
Just interested in your opinions why.

I have read a biography on him and watched his growth for years. Should his risky gambles pay off, he will be an industrialist the likes of which we haven't seen since Ford or Edison. Should he crash and burn.. well, lots of them do and he will be rightly forgotten.

However, I can see how his personality type, brashness and heavy handedness could rub people the wrong way. But if all you object to are the subsidies for electric cars and his NASA contracts well... welcome to big business/big government collusion...

For those who "hate" Elon Musk or are just "not a fan" may I ask why ?
Just interested in your opinions why.

I have read a biography on him and watched his growth for years. Should his risky gambles pay off, he will be an industrialist the likes of which we haven't seen since Ford or Edison. Should he crash and burn.. well, lots of them do and he will be rightly forgotten.

However, I can see how his personality type, brashness and heavy handedness could rub people the wrong way. But if all you object to are the subsidies for electric cars and his NASA contracts well... welcome to big business/big government collusion...

I am not a big fan of his when it comes to Tesla.... and I guess Solar City (is that his... he has some other company).... Tesla is getting huge amounts of money from the US gvmt... on a car that really does not need it...

I cannot blame him for it as it was in place before he came along...

I do like his venture into space though... if he is successful at this he will actually bring the cost of putting things in space down... NASA did not have the incentive to do so... and even though he is getting money from the gvmt, it is not 'incentives' but actually being paid to do something...

...I can see how his personality type, brashness and heavy handedness could rub people the wrong way...

There, you have my answer. ;)

I do not know much about Musk or have even watched him on TV in any interview, but just from the headlines or reported pronouncements from him I get the impression that he's an egotistical person.

A few years ago during an interview I believe I heard Musk say that eventually he would turn Tesla and Solar City over to others, and concentrate on running SpaceX.

Perhaps, it's time he did that.

Rocketry is hard and not for the timid, but two blown up launches in less than two years is a bit much. His main competitor ULA has, I think, 100+ successful launches in a row. OTOH, ULA charges a ton of money for its rockets, buys its engines from the Russians, and seemed content with the status quo - at least until Mr. Musk came along.

Cheap rockets are certainly a desirable product, so I imagine SpaceX will survive to launch again and again and again. Just don't blow up the customer's products very often.

I am a fan of Elon Musk and love how he pushes the envelope. Whoever thought of landing a rocket booster on a floating platform and then reusing it ? It is because of men like Musk, Jobs, Edison and Einstein that we have progress. The status quo is just that, the status quo.

I am a fan of Elon Musk and love how he pushes the envelope. Whoever thought of landing a rocket booster on a floating platform and then reusing it ? It is because of men like Musk, Jobs, Edison and Einstein that we have progress. The status quo is just that, the status quo.

+1

Wouldn't want to work for him. But I'm a fan and hope he succeeds.

Muir

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Personally, I think it was intentional. The satellite that was blown up was owned by Facebook, and there's no way Zuckerboy needs an eye in the sky. It only increases my respect for Elon Musk that he would sacrifice a rocket in order to protect the world from a more ubiquitous FB.

Personally, I think it was intentional. The satellite that was blown up was owned by Facebook, and there's no way Zuckerboy needs an eye in the sky. It only increases my respect for Elon Musk that he would sacrifice a rocket in order to protect the world from a more ubiquitous FB.
+1000:)

Was wondering if Range Control accidently hit the destruct button.

Was wondering if Range Control accidently hit the destruct button.

It's more sinister than that. Here's the story:

a rival space program shot down the SpaceX rocket to prevent a space-based laser weapon, built and secretly incorporated into Facebook’s Amos-6 satellite, from being launched into space

further escalation of an allegedly ongoing secret space war between the ruling elite of rival superpower nations and the rival extraterrestrial species backing them.

video shows a small spherical UFO craft that fired “a kind of laser or beam weapon” at the rocket.

UFO Whistleblower: Alien Attack On SpaceX Rocket Carrying Weaponized Satellite Signals Escalation Of Secret ET Space War To Control Earth [Video]

Rocketry is hard and not for the timid, but two blown up launches in less than two years is a bit much. His main competitor ULA has, I think, 100+ successful launches in a row. OTOH, ULA charges a ton of money for its rockets, buys its engines from the Russians, and seemed content with the status quo - at least until Mr. Musk came along.

Ariane 5 is sort of the workhorse for the EU. They had 11 failures out of 230 attempts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ariane_launches

More importantly, no failures in the last 10+ years. Which means that in the early years they had a much worse %, something like 20% fails.

SpaceX so far has had two failures (and one partial), out of 29, about 10%. So considering the maturity of the company that's a good track record.

I do agree with Elon being stretched too thin, and thinning evermore, as well as his inflated ego. Especially the last half year.

Be interesting to see if the USG launch customers stick with SpaceX ... IF there are other failures.

Recall, Musk beat them into investing in his methods on the premise SpaceX is cheaper ...but, many times this is done by smaller companies in order to "buy" their way into markets where the USG is the primary customer - i.e. even though the small company says it doesn't need the USG for its business case, it turns out the small company whines and complains until it gets contracts from the USG ... then the costs increase ...

Very few surprises.

This is not exactly space-related but I just learned of this when I got my copy of Air & Space magazine today.

For 42 years the B-29 Fifi was the only flying B-29 in the world.

Now there are two: B-29 Doc – Restoring History

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom