Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
DD's best friend's SO works for him. He is a 20-something engineer. Incredibly long hours from what I hear.
1966 - 1996. It wasn't work. We were just lucky to be there in that period of history.

heh heh heh -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #442
Give me a forum ...

As Mr. Musk has tweeted, you wouldn't want to ride to Mars in a dragon capsule since the inside is about the size of an SUV. But, getting it to Mars and successfully landing it would be an accomplishment.

I would love to see an advanced propulsion systems that could cut the time of the trip down to say 4-6 weeks. Granted, that is not an easy task, but a quicker trip would makes things safer and easier: less food, water, air to carry, less exposure to solar radiation, easier to get somebody back quickly if needed, etc.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
1966 - 1996. It wasn't work. We were just lucky to be there in that period of history.

heh heh heh -
Once I met some of the old timers at materials science function. They used to tell me how they had to wait until 8 am until they could start work. They were so jazzed about their work that they would jump the fence and break in so that they could get an early start. I liked my engineering career fine but I was never that enthusiastic.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
Thank heavens for SpaceX and Musk.

I visited Kennedy Space Center a couple of years ago and it was pretty depressing. That's the departure hub for NASA's manned space programs but instead of feeling futuristic the visitor center was almost entirely a tribute to 40+ year old accomplishments.

Glad to see someone stepping up and pushing forward. It's long past time we got out there again.
That's what we're talking about!

Here here!
Old 04-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #445

It also puts my own (and most peoples) meagre accomplishments firmly in perspective. But that's ok.

If just a handful of people (out of 7 billion) can do that, imagine the untapped potential we all have. Seems humanity (me included) suffers from a very deep lack of faith in our capabilities and commitment to achieve wonders.

It gives me a mix of hope, pride and sadness at the same time. Hope and pride Elon is doing this, sadness that he's an exception amidst the Ubers, Facebooks, Instagrams and investment banks (to name a few in my view) who claim to be changing the world, but aren't really in a positive meaningful way.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #446
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was stuck in the Huntsville, AL area for work a couple weeks ago but found a few hours to visit the Nasa Space & Rocket Center there. A fair bit of it is oriented toward kids but I still enjoyed it a lot. There were Shuttle and various military exhibits, but my main interest was the old Apollo stuff. I ran into a staff volunteer who had been a Saturn propulsion engineer and he talked with me for over an hour.

When I was finally on the plane to go home (near Detroit) I pulled out the latest issue of Air & Space magazine to read and quickly hit an ad for Spacefest VII in Tuscon in June. I was not even aware that there was an astronauts' convention going on like this and when I got home DW and I made a quick decision to go. I think it will be a blast(off).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sat V.jpg (492.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd Stage.jpg (603.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 AM   #447
Give me a forum ...

Ho Hum..... Another successful 1st stage landing on "Of course I still love you".
Old 05-06-2016, 01:02 AM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Ho Hum..... Another successful 1st stage landing on "Of course I still love you".
Of course, this one the first stage was coming in at twice the speed as the previous landing, which required four times as much energy to slow the descent, and eight times as much heat had to be dissipated.

Their webcast are getting increasingly educational and professional. Between playing Kerbal Space program and watching their webcast, I think I've learned and ten times as much about rocket science as I have in my previous 50 years of being a space geek.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 AM   #449

And for those wondering, the naming comes from a science fiction writer Iain Banks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Culture_series

"Just Testing" would have been nice too, or "What Are The Civilian Applications?"
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #450
Give me a forum ...

I especially like "Read the Damn Manual".

And

"You want it when? " .
Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hurrah! Keep it up.

heh heh heh -
Old 05-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting article on Musk, SpaceX and why Failure is an Option.

Quote:
With his rocket company Musk has dreamed big dreams. He has unflinchingly talked about landing humans on Mars in the 2020s, which is at least a decade before NASA and its international partners, and their plans which will cost hundreds of billions of dollars, might hope to do so. To boldly go to Mars requires risks. It requires accepting failure. And so when the most likely outcome on Friday morning was that his rocket would break apart in a fiery calamity for all the world to see, that was OK. SpaceX had failed before, and it would again. Exploring the frontier of physics, engineering, and aerospace isn’t for the timid.
Or as Q told Captain Picard:

Quote:
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid.
Because failure is an option SpaceX can do stuff like land rockets on a boat | Ars Technica
Old 05-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #453

The CFO of SpaceX is a grad of our local university. He gave a talk last week. She went, and we took our 5th and 8th grade girls out of school for the talk.

They loved it!

I consoled myself with these cool NASA posters I had made a few months ago and put in our basement.

Visions of the Future
Old 05-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #454
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's an interesting article on Musk, SpaceX and why Failure is an Option.

Or as Q told Captain Picard:

Because failure is an option SpaceX can do stuff like land rockets on a boat | Ars Technica
He also seems to have made embracing failure is ok part of the culture. The articulate webcasting crew, made it a point to emphasize that even if they failed to land the first stage "THAT WE WILL STILL LEARN A LOT"
Old 05-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
He also seems to have made embracing failure is ok part of the culture. The articulate webcasting crew, made it a point to emphasize that even if they failed to land the first stage "THAT WE WILL STILL LEARN A LOT"
One still has to remember where the line "Failure is not an option" came from. According to this site Gene Krantz never said it, but it was attributed to him in a movie, supposedly during the Apollo 13 mission. The stakes were a bit higher then...

Quote:
"As far as the expression 'Failure is not an option', you are correct that Kranz never used that term. In preparation for the movie, the script writers, Al Reinart and Bill Broyles, came down to Clear Lake to interview me on "What are the people in Mission Control really like?" One of their questions was "Weren't there times when everybody, or at least a few people, just panicked?" My answer was "No, when bad things happened, we just calmly laid out all the options, and failure was not one of them. We never panicked, and we never gave up on finding a solution." I immediately sensed that Bill Broyles wanted to leave and assumed that he was bored with the interview. Only months later did I learn that when they got in their car to leave, he started screaming, "That's it! That's the tag line for the whole movie, Failure is not an option. Now we just have to figure out who to have say it." Of course, they gave it to the Kranz character, and the rest is history."
Old 05-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #456
Give me a forum ...

Back in 1970 when I was a tad younger a manager red faced and swearing(they did that back then) threw me out of his office when I made the mistake of disparaging a Vanguard model on his desk as one of our less than stellar efforts to catch up with the Ruskies.

Try, improve, evolve is still prone to bad press once in a while.

heh heh heh - If the cost equation has shifted as much as hoped we have a barn burner in options to structure and plan future missions.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
The CFO of SpaceX is a grad of our local university. He gave a talk last week. She went, and we took our 5th and 8th grade girls out of school for the talk.

They loved it!

I consoled myself with these cool NASA posters I had made a few months ago and put in our basement.

Visions of the Future
The Grand Tour! Nice poster. Where do I purchase my ticket?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
The Grand Tour! Nice poster. Where do I purchase my ticket?
Wish I knew! I'd buy a ticket myself.

The poster, on the other hand, was found on Etsy.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #459
Give me a forum ...

Another successful launch and booster recovery for Space X today, though the booster landing did push the limits of the vehicle's landing system.

Quote:
Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2h2 hours ago Rocket landing speed was close to design max & used up contingency crush core, hence back & forth motion. Prob ok, but some risk of tipping.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #460

Quote:
Another successful launch and booster recovery for Space X today, though the booster landing did push the limits of the vehicle's landing system.

3 in a row. The "hat trick".

Three in a Row! SpaceX Lands Rocket on Ship at Sea Yet Again

Tags
space spacex