Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Honestly, it's a little depressing.
As is not being able to balance the budget over the past 10+ years

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
When you really think about it, what great technological advancements can we lay claim to in the past 3 decades?
Technology is one of those things that appears to always be slow moving, unless you step back and really look at what things are like now compared to x number of years ago...

Here is a very small list of things that didn't exist when the last human set foot on the Moon...

1973 - MRI
1977 - Voyager I and II (humans sent something out of our solar system)
1978 - Genetic Engineering
1980 - Hepatitis-B Vaccine
1983 - DNA Mapping
1987 - Prozac
1990 - lithium ion batteries (power on the move)
1998 - Genetic Sequencing
2000 - Mainstream GPS (cheap enough for you and me)
2001 - Global Knowledge Center - Wikipedia becomes the first global user-generated encyclopedia (humanity is now archived for all to see)
2003 - Human Genome Project completed
2008 - Bionic Lens (computer on a contact lens to aid vision and memory)
2009 - SixthSense is a wearable computer and arguably the first augmented reality that will spark a future of human and machine merging
2012 - As of Monday 770 planets have been found outside of our solar system (three decades ago we didn't even if extrasolar planets existed)

Also some technologies that are brand new seem irrelevant, or less important, until you get a chance to look back at them years down the road and see exactly how they have changed humanity. The computer is a perfect example.

A lot of people are out there who think they would be ok in a world without computers, but they are missing just how much would be lost:
- ATM's
- Internet (Access to all of that data, the ability to read this post and talk to a complete stranger about a topic of interest)
- Medical applications (life extension and quality of life)

I think genetics in 30 years will be a similar story... when we are able to cure diseases and better peoples lives through genetic therapy we'll then live in a world where people will be horrified that just 50 years ago people died just because they were unlucky to be born with genetics predisposing them to cancers and mental disorders...

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
Technology is one of those things that appears to always be slow moving, unless you step back and really look at what things are like now compared to x number of years ago...

Here is a very small list of things that didn't exist when the last human set foot on the Moon...

1973 - MRI
1977 - Voyager I and II (humans sent something out of our solar system)
1978 - Genetic Engineering
1980 - Hepatitis-B Vaccine
1983 - DNA Mapping
1987 - Prozac
1990 - lithium ion batteries (power on the move)
1998 - Genetic Sequencing
2000 - Mainstream GPS (cheap enough for you and me)
2001 - Global Knowledge Center - Wikipedia becomes the first global user-generated encyclopedia (humanity is now archived for all to see)
2003 - Human Genome Project completed
2008 - Bionic Lens (computer on a contact lens to aid vision and memory)
2009 - SixthSense is a wearable computer and arguably the first augmented reality that will spark a future of human and machine merging
2012 - As of Monday 770 planets have been found outside of our solar system (three decades ago we didn't even if extrasolar planets existed)

Also some technologies that are brand new seem irrelevant, or less important, until you get a chance to look back at them years down the road and see exactly how they have changed humanity. The computer is a perfect example.

A lot of people are out there who think they would be ok in a world without computers, but they are missing just how much would be lost:
- ATM's
- Internet (Access to all of that data, the ability to read this post and talk to a complete stranger about a topic of interest)
- Medical applications (life extension and quality of life)

I think genetics in 30 years will be a similar story... when we are able to cure diseases and better peoples lives through genetic therapy we'll then live in a world where people will be horrified that just 50 years ago people died just because they were unlucky to be born with genetics predisposing them to cancers and mental disorders...
That is a good list. The past 20 years has seen more improvement in standard of living and more people leaving absolute poverty than all of history combined to that point.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post

Did you realize that we went to the moon BEFORE we invented the microprocessor?

Now if that isn't scary, nothing is...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy View Post

But they had slide rules and a computer with 64k bytes of RAM, and blistering clock speed of 43 Kilo hertz. So roughly 1/1,000,000 as powerful as today desktops.

There were also equipped with highly trained Mark 1 human brains, and large sets of balls.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

yep, a lot of wrist watches (GPS/workout monitoring ones) today hold more computing power than the Apollo modules did 30 years ago...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

They replayed the 60 Minutes segment on Elon Musk & SpaceX last night, with an update on the latest and most successful mission. The exchange about Cernan & Armstrong's comments to Congress and Musk's reaction to those comments still makes me very sad. SpaceX is not the only private/commercial firm in this race (Boeing, ULA, Lockheed Martin, ATK), but criticism of other programs seems to be less publicized or worse. Makes one wonder...

I wish Elon Musk and SpaceX the best come what may. Seems odd to oppose innovation to fill an obvious void/need for any pure reasons...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #48

Quote:

We went to the moon before someone decided to put wheels on luggage!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #49

I wonder what else private enterprise can do as well/better than the government?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
They replayed the 60 Minutes segment on Elon Musk & SpaceX last night, with an update on the latest and most successful mission. The exchange about Cernan & Armstrong's comments to Congress and Musk's reaction to those comments still makes me very sad. SpaceX is not the only private/commercial firm in this race (Boeing, ULA, Lockheed Martin, ATK), but criticism of other programs seems to be less publicized or worse. Makes one wonder...

I wish Elon Musk and SpaceX the best come what may. Seems odd to oppose innovation to fill an obvious void/need for any pure reasons...
It made me sad watching it again a second time. Not surprisingly there is another side to the story.

From the Houston Chronicle this piece
Quote:
Here’s the statement [Chris] Kraft sent me on behalf of himself, Armstrong and Cernan:
What CBS and 60 Minutes did on Sunday evening was a distortion of the facts and the truth regarding SpaceX and people such as Neil Armstrong, Eugene Cernan and those of us that have been criticizing the present game plan of the U.S. Space Program.
We did not condemn the COTS Program. We commend SpaceX for their accomplishments and wish them every success in the future.
However, what they did — NASA and the US Space Industry did 50 years ago and without a road map. SpaceX had the benefit of all of this investment of the taxpayers money and without the taxpayers money today could not have accomplished the goals set by NASA — not by SpaceX.
But that is not the real story. The real story is what the U.S. did in the 1960’s revolutionized the space industry and not only Space but the entire U.S.Industry. Indeed the ROI of the taxpayers money and the resulting explosion of technology provided by this investment revolutionized the entire world.
What we (The past leaders of the U.S. Space Program) are concerned about is the lack of recognition that unless the U.S. continues to advance the state of the art and invest the taxpayers money in a rational and affordable Space Program we will become a second rate nation and be left behind by those who recognize what is required.
Now I agree with everything Chris Kraft said, including that space exploration has a good ROI for taxpayers. However, in a time of severe fiscal crisis, I have hard time arguing the my pet government program is so important that we should fully fund it and cut others.

SpaceX is cost effective way of keeping America in space. I hope once we get our economy moving again we can afford to do more in the future.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
SpaceX is cost effective way of keeping America in space.
+1. I think we should support and encourage SpaceX under current circumstances. If it makes sense for the US to re-enter the space program with something like NASA again one day, so be it.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Curiosity, the Mars Rover, lands August 5th, 2012

NASA - Multimedia - Video Gallery

With thanks to Veremchucka!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
However, in a time of severe fiscal crisis, I have hard time arguing the my pet government program is so important that we should fully fund it and cut others.
I once bothered to calculate what my share of the cost of NASA's budget was. The number was so miniscule (at the time less than a soft drink I think) that I concluded that not funding NASA would be foolish.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #54

Quote:

It really is unbelieveable that we went to the moon with the aid of a computer with less capability than todays laptop. Those guys like Armstrong, Cernan, etc. had some really large nads.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Happy Moon Landing Day!!

Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Wow! Still gives me goose bumps.

I remember like it was yesterday, sitting on our living room floor glued to the TV, watching Armstrong step on the moon.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
5. An SUV size Rover landing on Mars in August.

Mars Science Laboratory: Rover
This is a very interesting mission. The landing, if it works, will be a major accomplishment.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Keep track of the very close approach to earth of an asteroid. Asteroid (NEA) NEO 153958 (2002 AM31)is only 13.7 Lunar Distances from Earth. It is about the size of a city block. More than big enough to kill millions if it hit the earth. The coverage starts at 4:30 PM Pacific time!!

SLOOH SpaceCamera - Live Event
Old 07-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Keep track of the very close approach to earth of an asteroid. Asteroid (NEA) NEO 153958 (2002 AM31)is only 13.7 Lunar Distances from Earth. It is about the size of a city block. More than big enough to kill millions if it hit the earth. The coverage starts at 4:30 PM Pacific time!!

SLOOH SpaceCamera - Live Event
See? It could happen!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Here's news on the American manned space program. SpaceX has been chosen to develop a manned orbital spacecraft using their Falcon rocket and Dragon spacecraft.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - Press

Tags
space spacex