Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 PM   #601
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

More or less what I am getting at. If the past 40 years had proceeded at the same pace as the first 15, we would have lunar bases, Mars bases and probably have landed rovers on all the interesting outer moons and planets.

My brother was an Apollo era scientist who retired from NASA after 42 years at the Houston Spacecraft Center.

Many years ago I asked him why we never went back to the moon and he said it was "political" and the main interest at the time was "lower space" [space shuttle and space station.]

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #602
gone traveling

Quote:

Sad to think about how comparatively little has been accomplished in those 37 years. With the exception of the lunar and Mars rovers, "we" haven't really left low earth orbit.
Dovetails with my post above.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #603
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DS and I have decided to dash down to Cape Canaveral to see the Falcon launch next Thursday (he's on break from grad school at the moment and I've certainly got the time!)

The launch is scheduled for Thursday at 8PM. Our plan is to view it from Port Canaveral. That should allow for decent viewing of the launch and an even better viewing of the 1st stage return landing. We're planning on getting setup a few hours before launch.

My question is: has anyone seen one of these launches and if so, do you have any advice for where to view it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #604
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
My DS and I have decided to dash down to Cape Canaveral to see the Falcon launch next Thursday (he's on break from grad school at the moment and I've certainly got the time!)

The launch is scheduled for Thursday at 8PM. Our plan is to view it from Port Canaveral. That should allow for decent viewing of the launch and an even better viewing of the 1st stage return landing. We're planning on getting setup a few hours before launch.

My question is: has anyone seen one of these launches and if so, do you have any advice for where to view it.
Former Elon minion here.... Try to watch from Fish Lips or one of the other restaurants next to it. Get there early to get a good spot. IF you would rather watch from the hood of your car lots of people start lining up on the Causeway just before Cape Canaveral.
rocketjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #605
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There it is, or was. Apparently, they have lowered Falcon Heavyt down. Engine static testing is Jan 6 and launch is tentatively scheduled for Jan 15. All of this can, and probably will, change.

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/12/2...or-first-time/

Assuming it flies, it will be the most powerful rocket in the world. Of course, Mr. Musk has stated that just getting it to clear the pad would be considered a success. If there is a RUD (rapid unplanned deconstruction) and the launch pad is not damaged, it's a win.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #606
Give me a forum ...

Anywhere somewhat close is awe inspiring on a night launch.

Kind of a long story, but I found myself one year in Christmas, FL (about 1/2 way between the cape and Orlando) during a shuttle launch. We knew it was coming, but I swear to you, I thought it was the end of the world as the sun was suddenly rising at 11PM. I could not wrap my brain around the amount of energy being expended, and the incredible site rising in the east. I wish we had made it to the causeway where everyone parks instead.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #607

Thanks!

We'll probably get dinner at Fishlips and see what the situation there is like. Alternately, we'll walk down to the Jetty park or somewhere around that area.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #608
Give me a forum ...

Another photo of Falcon Heavy on the pad:

Old 01-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #609
Give me a forum ...

Eyes to the sky, fellow astro-nuts. And be prepared to duck. 19,000-pound Chinese space station falling "uncontrolled" back to Earth
Old 01-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #610
Give me a forum ...

Some sad news. John Young who flew three different spacecraft in his career has died. He was 87. He flew the first manned Gemini spacecraft, two Apollo missions and two missions on the Space Shuttle.

Quote:
With his passing, just five living human beings have walked on the Moon: Buzz Aldrin, 87; Alan Bean, 85; Dave Scott, 85; Charlie Duke, 82; and Harrison Schmitt, 82.
He is the only person who made the first flight of two different manned spacecraft - Gemini and the Space Shuttle.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #611

Thanks for the helpful input.

DS and I did get to see the latest Falcon launch (Zuma) and landing(so cool!). It was delayed a few days, but we stayed and found some things to do - visiting KSC, some nature (manatees!) and visiting family a few hours away.

We saw the launch from Jetty Park in Port Canaveral (near the mentioned Fish Lips restaurant) and it was a great location.

Took this photo of the launch. Nothing special, but proves we were there ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4167.jpg (275.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #612
Give me a forum ...

An interesting week or so in space flight:

The Electron rocket put a few satellite in orbit. Another way to get small cheap satelites into LEO.

We lost David Scott, one of the few humans who has walked on another celestial body. At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.

SpaceX static fired the Falcon Heavy. So far it is looking good.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #613
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.
Except, hopefully, SpaceX or Virgin or someone will be selling tourist passes to orbital flights. And soon after that, the Hilton Space Station or something like that.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #614
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The Electron rocket put a few satellite in orbit. Another way to get small cheap satelites into LEO.

We lost David Scott, one of the few humans who has walked on another celestial body. At this rate in a decade or so, no human who has left Earth's gravity will be alive.

SpaceX static fired the Falcon Heavy. So far it is looking good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Except, hopefully, SpaceX or Virgin or someone will be selling tourist passes to orbital flights. And soon after that, the Hilton Space Station or something like that.

But he said 'left Earth's gravity'.... being in orbit by definition is still in
Earth's gravity....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #615
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #616
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last night, our local Weatherman Bill Walsh said on his 6pm weather report -- The ISS would be visible overhead at 7:11pm traveling west to east.

I had not seen the ISS before, so I went outside......and there she was right on time !! That thing is pretty big !! It was haulin' too. At 7pm it must be high enough to reflect the sunlight below our horizon.

Very Cool, Bill....thanks for the head's up.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDriver View Post
Last night, our local Weatherman Bill Walsh said on his 6pm weather report -- The ISS would be visible overhead at 7:11pm traveling west to east.

I had not seen the ISS before, so I went outside......and there she was right on time !! That thing is pretty big !! It was haulin' too. At 7pm it must be high enough to reflect the sunlight below our horizon.

Very Cool, Bill....thanks for the head's up.
Go to this site:

Heavens-Above

enter your location, and you'll get ISS sightings and much more. I like to try to catch an Iridium flare, they last ~ 10 seconds, and are very localized - it's the effect of the sun reflecting off the rotating, shiny antenna plates of these satellites.

My first ISS sighting was just after they separated from the module that delivered supplies. You could see the reflection of the two units, and the separation increased as they crossed the sky. That was pretty cool.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #618

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Don't discount the Chinese either. They say they want to put a taikonaut on the moon in the early 30s. They are aggressive enough to stick to the time frame as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #619

Quote:
Speaking of Rocket Lab, their little stunt of putting that "Humanity Star" into temporary orbit is also dividing people.

I find it a little arrogant but harmless but hope it just doesn't set a precedent where any yahoo can put whatever they want into LEO.

Rocket Lab secretly launched a disco ball satellite on its latest test flight
The "Humanity Star" can be seen with the naked eye

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/24/1...on-test-launch
Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I find it a little arrogant but harmless but hope it just doesn't set a precedent where any yahoo can put whatever they want into LEO.

Tags
space spacex