Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #781
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The SETI people had another idea to confirm life on other planets. So far it seems pretty quiet out there. Since, given our current understanding of the constraints on travel over interstellar distances, the chance we will actually be able to send anything out of the solar system in a targeted way anytime soon seems very remote. Best bet would seem to be identify candidate planets and direct light speed messages toward them. Given that we haven't received same seems to suggest not many civilizations. Granted that we have only been able to receive for a hundred years and have only been listening for 50.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #782
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
We are not going to confirm life on other solar systems until we send probes there. That isn't going to happen until someone figures out how to achieve near light speed travel. In my opinion, Kepler was a waste of money measuring blips passing in front of stars and astronomers speculating about massive water worlds from those blips. Deep space astronomy is far too speculative. Money could have been better spent exploring our solar system. I'm not saying there isn't life on in other planets in other solar systems, there most likely is, but the distances are too vast for us to prove it in our lifetime and generations to come. Maybe this is by design to prevent worlds from destroying each other.

Sorry, but basic science is required to advance... and the cost of this was small peanuts compared to the info acquired...

And what do you mean about exploring our solar system We do that all the time... looks like 56 missions listed just for Mars... many failed, but they cost money.... clicked on a few but did not see costs of these missions...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

Now got curious.... this is a QUICK look at Wiki... so do not hold me to these numbers as being accurate...

2 for Mercury (least explored planet)

43 to Venus
9 for Jupiter
5 for Saturn
1 for Uranus and Neptune (at least what is listed... do not know why they said Mercury was least explored)

Now, Voyage was included in most of the outer planets so there is double (triple or more) counting...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Sorry, but basic science is required to advance... and the cost of this was small peanuts compared to the info acquired...

And what do you mean about exploring our solar system We do that all the time... looks like 56 missions listed just for Mars... many failed, but they cost money.... clicked on a few but did not see costs of these missions...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Mars

Now got curious.... this is a QUICK look at Wiki... so do not hold me to these numbers as being accurate...

2 for Mercury (least explored planet)

43 to Venus
9 for Jupiter
5 for Saturn
1 for Uranus and Neptune (at least what is listed... do not know why they said Mercury was least explored)

Now, Voyage was included in most of the outer planets so there is double (triple or more) counting...
How about sending more probes onto the surface of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune or the moons of Jupiter and not every few decades. I thought the New Horizons fly-by of Pluto was a worthwhile mission. At least we know it's more than a white blip in a field of stars with a red arrow pointing at it. Spending more money on Mars is also a waste of time. It's a dead planet and it's time to move on. We aren't going to terraform Mars anytime soon. I know they are planning a Venus mission as JPL engineers used part of the facility where I worked to test a probe decent into a high pressure atmosphere. That was about 5 years ago.

I'm not against astronomy or space research. I have a bit of money invested in two telescopes, mounts, and a collection of ED lenses. I think money should be spent on sending more probes rather than human conquest of space and deep space telescopes.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #784

Realize that we learn about our solar system and it’s development by looking at other solar systems in deep space. Looking at only our planets is a very narrow view.

Personally, I’m glad for all of the space research that happens. It gives us a deeper understanding of our universe.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #785
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Realize that we learn about our solar system and it’s development by looking at other solar systems in deep space. Looking at only our planets is a very narrow view.

Personally, I’m glad for all of the space research that happens. It gives us a deeper understanding of our universe.

I wish they had a replacement for Hubble.... the Webb telescope is infrared and not the same.. and it is way past when it was supposed to be sent up..

Also, the Webb was supposed to launch in 2007 and now it is 2021... here is a list of changed dates and updated costs... it does not look good...

Wow... cannot past a table... the budget has gone from .5 billion to 9.6 billion...

Then-planned launch and costs
Year Planned
launch Budget Plan
(Billion USD) 1997 2007[74] 0.5[74] 1998 2007[77] 1[50] 1999 2007 to 2008[78] 1[50] 2000 2009[35] 1.8[50] 2002 2010[79] 2.5[50] 2003 2011[80] 2.5[50] 2005 2013 3[81] 2006 2014 4.5[82] 2008 2014 5.1[83] 2010 2015 to 2016 6.5 2011 2018 8.7[84] 2013 2018 8.8[85] 2017 2019[86] 8.8 2018 2020[87] ≥8.8 2018 2021[88] 9.66
First interstellar object found in our solar system
Old 11-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #786
Give me a forum ...

First interstellar object found in our solar system

Somehow I missed this one: A year ago, scientists discovered the first object from interstellar space that had entered our solar system (Object Oumuamua--and I'm not kidding). It exhibited some unusual behavior (motion not attributable to gravitational influence of known bodies in the solar system). Since then, experts have been trying to explain its motion. For example, after it passed our sun, it was accelerating instead of slightly decelerating due to the sun's gravity, as would be expected. At first scientists thought it was likely due to outgassing (as a comet does), but there wasn't evidence of that. A new explanation is that the motion is due to the solar wind, but this requires that the object be very thin (less than 1 mm).
At risk of sensationalizing things, one explanation is that the object is not natural--that it is an artificial object, perhaps a probe with a "solar sail." In the past, every time we've explained unusual findings as signs of life elsewhere (this happened with quasars, pulsars, etc), a much more plausible natural explanation eventually was discovered, and that will almost surely happen with Oumuamua. Still, interesting.

More here.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #787

All these worlds are yours – except europa oumuamua - attempt no landing there

Old 11-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #788
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Somehow I missed this one: A year ago, scientists discovered the first object from interstellar space that had entered our solar system (Object Oumuamua--and I'm not kidding). It exhibited some unusual behavior (motion not attributable to gravitational influence of known bodies in the solar system). Since then, experts have been trying to explain its motion. For example, after it passed our sun, it was accelerating instead of slightly decelerating due to the sun's gravity, as would be expected. At first scientists thought it was likely due to outgassing (as a comet does), but there wasn't evidence of that. A new explanation is that the motion is due to the solar wind, but this requires that the object be very thin (less than 1 mm).
At risk of sensationalizing things, one explanation is that the object is not natural--that it is an artificial object, perhaps a probe with a "solar sail." In the past, every time we've explained unusual findings as signs of life elsewhere (this happened with quasars, pulsars, etc), a much more plausible natural explanation eventually was discovered, and that will almost surely happen with Oumuamua. Still, interesting.

More here.
Recent comment on the article referenced (seems plausible?):

Quote:
Author: Cjones1

It (the passing object) was comparatively slow moving for a UFO which have been clocked at speeds of 150,000 mph. I read that the Little Gray aliens reputedly originate from the Zeta Reticuli system roughly 40 light years away and the Nordic aliens from the Pleiades which are roughly 400+ light years away. Even at the clocked speed it would take hundreds of thousands to millions of years to make those journeys. It could be a remnant of a survey object created by pre-Holocene Earthlings who were forced to relocate due to the chaos and inundation that occurred when the Pleistocene glaciers melted.
LOL!!
Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #789
Give me a forum ...

One week to the next Mars Landing on November 26.

It will be broadcast live on NASA TV.

Quote:
Mars Landing InSight is set to touch down on Mars at around noon Pacific (3 p.m. Eastern) on Nov. 26, 2018. The lander will plunge through the thin Martian atmosphere, heatshield first, and use a parachute to slow down. Then, it will fire its retro rockets to slowly descend to the surface of Mars, and land on the smooth plains of Elysium Planitia.
https://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/ins...nding/summary/

https://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/ins.../watch-online/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #790
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the heads up so I can place a reminder on my calendar.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #791
Give me a forum ...

Tips on watching the Mars landing tomorrow:

Quote:
Here's how you can watch, from the comfort of planet Earth: NASA TV will be broadcasting the landing live online between 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET on Monday (Nov. 26). You can also watch the landing on other sites such as Facebook and Space.com.
https://www.livescience.com/64148-ho...t-landing.html

Old 11-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #792

Very cool, thanks for the links. Watched it "live"... amazing achievement.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #793
Give me a forum ...

Landing was successful. Fun to watch the control room.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #794
Give me a forum ...

It was interesting but would have been better if there were actual pics... I know there could not be but hey...

Let's just hope that the equipment works...

One thing that I am surprised is that they said this is only the 8th successful landing on Mars... thought there would have been more...
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 AM   #795

Apparently the cube sats have lots more pics they're going to send back... slowly. And of course as the lander comes alive there will be even more. In between all the speeches and self-congratulation, there's some good information in the post-landing recap:
https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/2216.../?site=insight
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #796
Give me a forum ...

Those cube sats are interesting. If they can survive interplanetary space trips (which they seem to have from what I have read) they will greatly lower the cost of various types of probes.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:56 AM   #797

I think miniaturization is the next "big" thing in space exploration. Look at all the things they can pack into a cell phone. Imagine sending one of those off to explore. Or sending a thousand. You'd have to swap out a few parts, but essentially all those sensor-on-a-chip thingies inside could be almost anything.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #798
Give me a forum ...

Good points. I hope to see a resurgence in space exploration, both man and machine.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #799
Give me a forum ...

If you haven't seen the failed attempt to land the Falcon 9 first stage booster, here it is.
I guess the SpaceX engineers have a bit more work ahead of them in the next few months. The first landing failure of the Falcon 9 in 2 1/2 years. They've made it look easy, but nothing about Rocketry is easy.

Overall, a successful launch.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM   #800

Nice! I was looking for a video like that but couldn't find it. Thanks!!

During the live broadcast, they cut away from the video link from the booster right after it started oscillating and spinning. You could hear from the people in the background that something was very wrong. The narrator did a great job of switching gears, but it was pretty clear things weren't going well.

Then I heard a big cheer in the background. Now it's clear that was because the booster managed to almost recover and simulate a perfect landing - but on the water.

I read somewhere that the hydraulic system which moves the grid fins failed. Makes sense. I also read that they got great telemetry right up to the end, so they should be able to piece together the cause. It's great that the video stream continued right through the "landing" and beyond.

Tags
space spacex