Space - The Final Frontier

Apparently they succeeded in 'soft' landing the first stage on the water. It transmitted data for 8 seconds after contact until it went horizontal. Salt water is hard on electronics. :)

I find it really interesting that SpaceX is piggybacking experiments along side of commercial launches. In hindsight it seems obvious, but its not something that I've seen NASA or other Aerospace companies do very often.

Evidently the 1st stage account for roughly 60% of the cost of launch so being able to reuse them will make a big difference in terms of cost.

I find it really interesting that SpaceX is piggybacking experiments along side of commercial launches. In hindsight it seems obvious, but its not something that I've seen NASA or other Aerospace companies do very often.

This flight has some crazy stuff. On the way up it deployed the KickSat, which will then deploy 104 Sprite satellites about 15 days from now. Yah. One Hundred Four.

The KickSat and Sprites are sending back telemetry til they re-enter. Ground stations (Hams with handheld antennas and radios linked to laptops) are competing to receive the telemetry.

Among the other cool experiments the Dragon is carrying to the space station is a bunch of microbes to see how they grow and behave in outer space.

The really cool thing is where and who collected the microbes. Most of the were collected at various sports stadiums and the scientist who collected them were current and former NFL cheerleaders. Who have graduate degrees, and lot post doc work in science or engineering.

Science Cheerleaders Perform at the USA Science and Engineering Festival - YouTube

More on the biology here

Apparently, on May 29, SpaceX will show us a Dragon Mk2 spacecraft the features necessary to take astronauts into orbit and back to earth. Not a mock-up, but a space craft with hardware designed for flight. Certification for manned flight will take more time. But, no trampolines will be needed. :)

Last edited:
Ready for your flight? I read somewhere (Nat Geo mag?) that the spaceport is in place in Truth or Consequences, NM. Branson's Virgin Galactic wants to start flights this year.

"Once they reach that suborbital altitude, passengers will experience weightlessness and see the curvature of the Earth. Then they will reenter the atmosphere and glide back to the runway. The price for the experience: $250,000."

Virgin Galactic signs agreement with FAA, steps closer to spaceflight - Los Angeles Times

SpaceX introduced version 2 of their Dragon spacecraft.
Among the changes

Propulsive landing without parachutes (parachutes are a backup)
Landing legs for a land landing
New thruster rockets that can be used for landing as well as escaping a launch problem
Better head shield.
Seats for human beings!!!!

The interior of the Falcon spacecraft is certainly different from what we are used to. The geek in me really wants to know about he tech that goes into it.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

Here's a video of a Spacex soft landing vehicle making a 1000 meter high flight and then soft landing back on its pad. Note the little paddles that pop out at about 1:10 to help guide the vehicle.

Here's a video of a Spacex soft landing vehicle making a 1000 meter high flight and then soft landing back on its pad. Note the little paddles that pop out at about 1:10 to help guide the vehicle.

Those cows in the field were sure getting spooked by the rocket! About 2:30 into the video. I wonder where the test took place. Looks like Texas.

SpaceX launches ISS resupply missions from LC-40, where Titan IVs used to launch. It's always bitter sweet for me to see SpaceX Falcon 9 launches since I helped build and test the Titan IV launch complex, which has since been demolished.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Those cows in the field were sure getting spooked by the rocket! About 2:30 into the video. I wonder where the test took place. Looks like Texas.

They have had a number of wide angle videos, and the cows near the launch site get a pretty good workout. I don't know if they makes their meat better or worse... :D

Love those photos.
In the one you mentioned, from 2006, the little dot on the left between the bright rings and the somewhat fainter ring is Earth.

Attachments

• earth.jpg
    earth.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
45 year ago today, a man took a giant leap.

I rather liked these photos of the mission.

Hard to believe that Neil won't be at the ceremonies.

Good News! Apparently "The Martian" is going to be made into a movie. Matt Damon will play Mark Watney.

Back
Top Bottom