Speaking of foods, what won't you try?

Yeah I don't like broccoli either.

Or squash.

Tried dragon fruit in Vietnam. Looked interesting but not as sweet as watermelon or regular melon.

They also had these tiny bananas. Actually, the types of bananas we get throughout the world is suppose to be one of the least flavorful varieties. They dominate the market because they're more favorable for exporting all over the world. There's a race to develop the next dominant breed before the current Cavendish breed gets killed off by fungus.

They also had these tiny bananas. Actually, the types of bananas we get throughout the world is suppose to be one of the least flavorful varieties. They dominate the market because they're more favorable for exporting all over the world. There's a race to develop the next dominant breed before the current Cavendish breed gets killed off by fungus.

Everyone in my family (except me) goes crazy for those baby bananas. Ate them all the time in Mexico because they're cheap, ripe, and delicious. Here in the US they're usually 3-6x the price of regular bananas and highly variable in quality. The Asian store near us has them almost all the time but they always look overly ripe or bruised up bad.

Durian is pretty good. I had some at my in-laws and it was sweet and creamy. The odor wasn't too bad at all - I've had several cheeses with much worse odors.

.. snip.. very good...

The night of the cheese. A bunch of us had a cheese plate one night as well as some cocktails. One of the group, a naturally reserved guy, fell in love with a particular cheese. Telling everyone how great it was, best creamy cheese ever! He exclaimed with joy, a buttery flavor!

He finally got a waiter to ask about this new found best creamy, buttery, cheese ever made. The waiter smiled and said "butter"!

Durian is pretty good. I had some at my in-laws and it was sweet and creamy. The odor wasn't too bad at all - I've had several cheeses with much worse odors.

Now one thing that was disgusting was something I tried shortly after having the fresh durian fruit. Durian flavored cream wafers from the Asian store. Like the kind that usually comes with strawberry, chocolate, or vanilla. Except with durian cream in the middle. I took one bite, immediately spit it into the trash as I tried to avoid gagging, then washed my mouth out for a while.

I forgot the wafers were in the trash. Later on, I came home and smelled a natural gas leak. Intoxicating, horrible stench of natural gas. I checked the crawlspace, sniffed around the hot water heater and furnace, and nothing. I was about to call 911 and report the gas leak when I realized I had spat a bite of the durian wafers in the trash. It stunk the whole house up so bad. I assume it was an artificial flavor/scent they added to the durian wafers that is similar to mercaptan, which they add to natural gas to give it that stink to warn you of a leak or concentration of gas.

:LOL:

I have had those Durian flavored cream wafers, and thought that those were training wheels prior to the real thing. Don't recall the similarity to mercaptan though. People's perception of odors vary greatly (favorite perfume, anyone?).

By the way, in the above video of a gal who liked durian, a commenter pointed out that what she ate was not thoroughly ripe, when the fruit turns more mushy and more odorous. Not for me in any stage of ripeness, although I can eat it and not gag if someone pays me some money,

Last edited:
The night of the cheese. A bunch of us had a cheese plate one night as well as some cocktails. One of the group, a naturally reserved guy, fell in love with a particular cheese. Telling everyone how great it was, best creamy cheese ever! He exclaimed with joy, a buttery flavor!

He finally got a waiter to ask about this new found best creamy, buttery, cheese ever made. The waiter smiled and said "butter"!

The Germans have a cheese called butterkase ("butter cheese") though I don't recall it being just like butter. I guess as you increase the milkfat content any cheese would approach butter consistency. I definitely like the brie/camambert creaminess too (not sure what fat% it is but it's creamy and gooood!)

I ate Durian regularly in Kuala Lumpur. It is delicious but it was always fully ripe and odiferous! In the markets, you could smell it for blocks. So you got used to it.

Yeah I don't like broccoli either.

Or squash.

Tried dragon fruit in Vietnam. Looked interesting but not as sweet as watermelon or regular melon.

I first saw dragon fruit at Harrods in London. What caught my eyes was the price 32 GBP per pound. Now when I see them in Asian stores, I buy them because I think I save money every time I eat them. 32 GBP vs 2 GBP, easy decision. :D

Now one thing that was disgusting was something I tried shortly after having the fresh durian fruit. Durian flavored cream wafers from the Asian store. Like the kind that usually comes with strawberry, chocolate, or vanilla. Except with durian cream in the middle. I took one bite, immediately spit it into the trash as I tried to avoid gagging, then washed my mouth out for a while.

I forgot the wafers were in the trash. Later on, I came home and smelled a natural gas leak. Intoxicating, horrible stench of natural gas. I checked the crawlspace, sniffed around the hot water heater and furnace, and nothing. I was about to call 911 and report the gas leak when I realized I had spat a bite of the durian wafers in the trash. It stunk the whole house up so bad. I assume it was an artificial flavor/scent they added to the durian wafers that is similar to mercaptan, which they add to natural gas to give it that stink to warn you of a leak or concentration of gas.
I only had durian because my dad used to travel to Thailand once a year for R&R with his work. He bought boat loads of long an fruit and a couple durian for us to try. I seriously doubt that my mom would buy any.

Most of the tropical fruits that I have had are enjoyable or at least benign, the durian excepted of course.

f1e8543645773fd69b90984496690061--healthy-fruits-healthy-snacks.jpg

One that I have eaten, (on a number of occasions when there was little else), but just don't like, are pomegranates...find little or nothing enjoyable about them.

One that I have eaten, (on a number of occasions when there was little else), but just don't like, are pomegranates...find little or nothing enjoyable about them.

Never understood pomegranates if you have to pay for them. Just not an enjoyable eating experience at all. They grow on the trees along many streets in Oaxaca, Mex and you see a lot smashed on the ground. Figures. I wouldn't bother with them, either.

I have never paid for pomegranates, but when given free by friends will eat them for the health benefits.

I have never paid for pomegranates, but when given free by friends will eat them for the health benefits.

Do you eat the seeds and all? After a few bites I feel like I'm chewing on a mouthful of course hay.

I buy them occasionally at my favorite Persian supermarket, huge and very sweet. It's true I put a few in my salads, I never can finish the whole fruit. They are good for crunch, I eat the seeds, otherwise what else is there to eat. Also good for celebrating Xmas dinner., add red color to salads. But I believe promegranate is one of the super fruit, full of anti-oxidant, so I don't mind paying for them.

Last edited:
Do you eat the seeds and all? After a few bites I feel like I'm chewing on a mouthful of course hay.

Tried to avoid them, but there are so many.

I chew, swallow the juice, then spit out the seeds. Of course, I only eat pomegranate at home.

I think pomegranates are not worth the trouble. But I like the juice, so sometimes I buy a bottle of it.

I love dragon fruit and buy it at my local supermarket.

We use pomegranate for a most excellent sangria. We keep the seeds separate, let them soak in a bit of the sangria in the fridge, then snack on them. Yum.

I was with a group of friends once and a guy two seats to my right ordered octopus. Yes, it looked like octopus! SO he asked if I'd like to try a bite and I said yes. He took a fork and passed me a chunk. The woman sitting next to me watched the food go by and she turned green. I swear, she turned GREEN. YMMV

I may be missing the point, but what's wrong with octopus?

I made my original post saying Im particular about not eating certain things. This is of course because Im not starving. I remember some training program in the army. A soldier who was giving the class got a reptile of some sort, maybe a lizard. He bit off one of the legs and as it was still twitching he said he was going to use it later as a toothpick. He then brushed off some of the dirt that was on it, and proceeded to eat some of it. I remember being a bit faint at that point. It was a good class, telling us what berries to eat and not eat, how to eat and clean some small animals. Very handy for a NYC kid that couldnt tell poison ivy from a grape vine.

When DD#1 come home from college over one holiday with her (then current) bf, I took the opportunity to grill some rattlesnake, lion, alligator and ostrich. There was an internet based exotic meat store that sold all these things. This was way beyond his comfort zone, but he sucked it up and ate every thing I prepared - even smiled and said thanks. All in the name of [-]infatuation[/-] love. :)

Back
Top Bottom