Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rant: r-a-n-t

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Rant: r-a-n-t

Took me a few seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I see you are becoming quite the Gaelic scholar, NW-Bound!

Go n'eiri an bothar leat!

(May the road rise with you).
So here's another one. When is it appropriate to refer to 'Irish' versus 'Gaelic'? I always thought the Irish spoke Gaelic, but when I was there they referred to their language as 'Irish' (street signs are all in 'Irish', with English subtitles IIRC).

Also, you could consider a little notation on the name in your sig. It looks like many of us were not familiar with the historic reference to the name Meadbh, and I'm still unsure of the pronunciation. And new posters probably won't see this thread.

-ERD50
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I see you are becoming quite the Gaelic scholar, NW-Bound! Go n'eiri an bothar leat! (May the road rise with you).
I can't even pronounce Gaelic. My ancestors would be appalled.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Took me a few seconds...

So here's another one. When is it appropriate to refer to 'Irish' versus 'Gaelic'? I always thought the Irish spoke Gaelic, but when I was there they referred to their language as 'Irish' (street signs are all in 'Irish', with English subtitles IIRC).

Also, you could consider a little notation on the name in your sig. It looks like many of us were not familiar with the historic reference to the name Meadbh, and I'm still unsure of the pronunciation. And new posters probably won't see this thread.

-ERD50
For an answer to your question, I cannot improve on this discussion in TripAdvisor.

Confusion about Irish language and Gaelic - Ireland Forum - TripAdvisor

Thanks for the suggestion about my signature. I decided to put the information in my profile instead. Also see my new avatar!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #45
Administrator

My name used to be easy to spell, until I moved to the USA.

I had to make an appointment at a new doctor's place a couple of weeks ago and the poor lass even managed to get my first name wrong when I spelled it out as Alpha Lima Alpha November. When she read it back it she spelled it ARAN.

My last name has 11 letters and is not common, so you can just imagine how long that took
Old 10-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

"My name used to be easy to spell, until I moved to the USA."

My abbreviated first name used to be familiar and easy to spell, until I just waited long enough. Now everyone wants to spell it "Dawn" after I say it to them. And that's when I'm standing right in front of them...
Old 10-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I had to make an appointment at a new doctor's place a couple of weeks ago and the poor lass even managed to get my first name wrong when I spelled it out as Alpha Lima Alpha November. When she read it back it she spelled it ARAN.

My last name has 11 letters and is not common, so you can just imagine how long that took
Alan, that is hilarious! It's almost impossible to think of an easier name to spell (other than Bob). Of course, there's Allan, Allen and Allyn......

I spent years living in Winnipeg, which has a large Ukranian community (among many others). There was a shortage of vowels, an abundance of zs, and some of the names were simply unpronounceable. I used to get people to practice their names with me until I had them right, and then I would write them down in phonetics and try to memorize everything. It sounds silly, but getting someone's name right is respectful and necessary, especially when you are in a healthcare profession, which I was.

Here's a challenging Aboriginal surname:

Maytwayashing

(Hint: it's NOT Maytag Washing.....)
Old 10-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Here's an challenging Aboriginal surname:

Maytwayashing

(Hint: it's NOT Maytag Washing.....)
THAT is impossible for me to attempt to pronounce and not massacre it.

These days in cafes when they ask for a name to call after I've placed an order I just say Fred. My accent often meant I had to respond when they called out "Holland", which is a common mis-hearing of my name down here.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, we have tried hard to make some sense of this gawdawful language, and have made some improvements, but there's only so much a bunch of ex-colonists can do.

Reminds me of a favorite tv comedy from the days of lore, Barney Miller

Quote:
Wojciehowicz : "You say it like it's spelled!"
The part of Venezuela where DW grew up is well known for names that are very strange , and often phonetic versions of foreign words or terms. My favorite: guaituque
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I used to work with a Chinese immigrant, his English was pretty good. He used Frank as his first name.

Any time he was asked his name like at mickyDs for them to call out, he'd tell them Mike. I finally asked why, 'nobody understands when I say Frank, they insist on calling out Mike', he just decided it was easier.

Meadbh, I to had no idea of that name. Thanks for educating.

MRG
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
mickyDs
Now that you mention MickyDs, why is it that these terrible spellers never make a mistake and call it "MackeyDs"? No problems avoiding THAT spelling mistake.

Those of us whose last names begin with Mc or Mac are always getting our names mispelled with Mac instead of Mc, or with Mc instead of Mac. I guess people just don't care unless junk food is involved.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:35 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
THAT is impossible for me to attempt to pronounce and not massacre it.

These days in cafes when they ask for a name to call after I've placed an order I just say Fred. My accent often meant I had to respond when they called out "Holland", which is a common mis-hearing of my name down here.
I almost always use my surname for this purpose now; they can't understand me when I use my first name. Although I've also learned to respond to the most common mistaken name they call.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For an answer to your question, I cannot improve on this discussion in TripAdvisor.

Confusion about Irish language and Gaelic - Ireland Forum - TripAdvisor

Thanks for the suggestion about my signature. I decided to put the information in my profile instead. Also see my new avatar!
Good link, thanks. That matches what I learned on my visit (and remembered, despite all the Guinness!). I loved Ireland by the way, wish I had more time there.

And then there is ... Celtic versus "K"eltic...

pronunciation celtic soft hard c - Google Search

Odd, I couldn't seem to view your profile, only 'statistics' show up?

-ERD50
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Odd, I couldn't seem to view your profile, only 'statistics' show up?

-ERD50
I have loosened the privacy settings. I expect you should be able to see it now.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Reminds me of a favorite tv comedy from the days of lore, Barney Miller
Quote:
Wojciehowicz : "You say it like it's spelled!"
Did you realized that it's true?
This name sounds Polish and it's easy to read Polish (there is only one way of reading words).
Opposite can be actually quite difficult (Many same sounding Polish phonemes/sounds have various spelling).
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #56

I love phonetic languages. If you can read them, you can pronounce them correctly without even thinking.

Russian and German are also that way, I think. So is Portuguese to a large extent. There are probably many more. Once you learn the rules, you've got it; there are no exceptions.

English has just done such an incredible amount of borrowing from other languages that we have a huge number of exceptions to "the rules." That gives us a rich and enormous vocabulary, but sure causes a lot of trouble even for native speakers.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In my first Megacorp job they had a large computer installation with 5 operators per shift. I suspect this was done by an HR person with a warped sense of humor but one shift had all 5 guys named Dave..
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Humorous misspelling story: I participate on Megacorp internal discussion forums for the technical areas I support. my last name is part of my email and is not pronounced as it is spelled. Someone posted "I tried to send an email to jollystomper, but it can back as invalid. Did he leave the company?" Of course, they had misspelled my email (and included the misspelling in the post). Then followed over 30 posts of folks lamenting my leaving, wondering where I had gone, who they should now contact for my areas, etc.These are folks who had emailed me fine on many occasions.

I was almost going to quickly reply but, frankly, seeing the responses I thought I'd enjoy things for a while. The next morning I got a call from my manager "someone emailed me thinking you left the company?" I explained to him what happened, which gave him a chuckle. I finally went on and posted that all was well, just be sure to check how you spell my email ID.

It was nice to see how people thought about me. So no misspelling complaints from me.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
And by the way, my forum name is Meadbh, not mead.
Hi Meadbh, could you mention here the phonetic version of your name? I'm still not sure how to think of it. There was a link to a sound recording that sounded like "made" to me, but I want to get it straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).

Lsbcal is my initials + California but it could equally be considered Least Significant Bit in California. And I have no idea how to phonetically say it.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hi Meadbh, could you mention here the phonetic version of your name? I'm still not sure how to think of it. There was a link to a sound recording that sounded like "made" to me, but I want to get it straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).
I don't know how to write in phonetics, so, with acknowledgements to YouTube......

Here is a video of a Meadhbh Ryan pronouncing her name (and skydiving):

Somewhat less exciting, but with more people pronouncing the name, here is a video of Happy Birthday wishes to an 18 year old Meadhbh.

[url=
Closed Thread