Join Early Retirement Today

Spending money
Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Spending money

I really would like to spend some more money, but the vendors make it exceedingly difficult.

I just spent almost an hour trying to cope with a credit card switching banks.

Tomorrow I'll have to spend time trying to get money back from Amazon.com (whose customer service is routed through India).

I've actually started to buy local as much as I can.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You could always hire a personal shopper to assist you with your "problem".
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You can send me your CC number by PM and I'll pick some things out for you.

Send me your size and color preferences.
FreqFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amazon's email customer service does seem to be routed through India, but the 3 times I've used their telephone customer service, the CSRs were apparently from the USA.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

What problems were you having?

I do a lot of my shopping on-line and most of that through Amazon. Only problem I ever had was in the very early days, and we double clicked and duplicated an order. Returning it was a breeze and no cost (and this was our fault).

I do have the Amazon branded Visa card. Not every place accepts my Amex reward card, so I need it as a backup anyhow. 3% rewards on amazon purchases, 1% on other - redeem for credit to the account when it reaches $50 (or $25?).

Can I send you my Winter Solstice wish list?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #6

I never had a problem spending money! The problem is controlling myself from spending too much.

I can introduce you to my spendarina SIL. That girl never saw anything in a store she didn't like and thinks that if she can scrape up the payments it's "affordable". She can cure your spending problem.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I really would like to spend some more money, but the vendors make it exceedingly difficult.

I am not sure what that means, but it sounds like a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Tomorrow I'll have to spend time trying to get money back from Amazon.com (whose customer service is routed through India).
I haven't ever had to contact Amazon, but I understand that their customer service is pretty good. From what I understand, if you don't get what you want the first time you call, call back because you will probably get somebody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
I've actually started to buy local as much as I can.
That will help your local community, and heaven knows most of our local businesses need help and people need jobs.

I don't have any difficulty in the process of buying things. There is just a limit to how much stuff I want or need right now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am not sure what that means, but it sounds like a PITA.
It might be an account that was sold from one bank to another. These "conversions" are not always seamless. Perhaps Kahn will clarify.
We just did went through this with one of our credit card accounts -- and it was not seamless, but not excruciatingly painful, either; only mildly painful, and we got through it, or so we think at this point in time.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
It might be an account that was sold from one bank to another. These "conversions" are not always seamless. Perhaps Kahn will clarify.
We just did went through this with one of our credit card accounts -- and it was not seamless, but not excruciatingly painful, either; only mildly painful, and we got through it, or so we think at this point in time.
I've just gone thru one of these...certainly not pain free. First, they changed our CC number, then sold the acct to another bank. Then, they required re-establishing an on-line presence with them, which meant changing my user name and password, which I forgot to make note of, and prompty forgot it. The only problem is that without the user name and password, I can't pay it...the paper statement goes to my PO box in CA so that I can have a US card...my parents collect the mail, but I pay online. (I have another card with a Japan address since vendors will not always ship to an address other than your CC address). I've only had problems buying with the card when making purchases overseas in multiple countries within a few days of each other. That always seemed to raise red flags, but it must be in my profile now as I have not had problems with that for a while either.

R
Old 11-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Amazon's email customer service does seem to be routed through India, but the 3 times I've used their telephone customer service, the CSRs were apparently from the USA.
You can tell by their names.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I've just gone thru one of these...certainly not pain free. First, they changed our CC number, then sold the acct to another bank. Then, they required re-establishing an on-line presence with them, which meant changing my user name and password, which I forgot to make note of, and prompty forgot it. The only problem is that without the user name and password, I can't pay it...the paper statement goes to my PO box in CA so that I can have a US card...my parents collect the mail, but I pay online. (I have another card with a Japan address since vendors will not always ship to an address other than your CC address). I've only had problems buying with the card when making purchases overseas in multiple countries within a few days of each other. That always seemed to raise red flags, but it must be in my profile now as I have not had problems with that for a while either.

R
Yes, same crap. Also managed to pay CC twice. Now have to move funds so as not to overdraw.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I've just gone thru one of these...certainly not pain free.
R
Maybe not pain free all the time, but they must be pretty rare? I guess I've had a card switched a couple times across many years with a few cards, but it was so seamless I barely remember. If they did make it painful, I'm pretty sure I'd see about canceling - why put up with any hassle?

-ERD50
Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, same crap. Also managed to pay CC twice. Now have to move funds so as not to overdraw.
Ooops! But look at the bright side. Imagine if that was a debit card - you would already be overdrawn and incurring fees charges (which could probably be undone, but also likely a PITA).

Can't you get the extra payment canceled before the due date?

-ERD50