Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sperm bank threatens to sue DNA tester
Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,283
Sperm bank threatens to sue DNA tester

This is an interesting story. A woman who's five year old daughter was conceived with a sperm donation, ran a 23 and Me test and found the father. The sperm bank raised holy hell threatened to sue the mother. It's pretty obvious that such outfits can't enforce bans on seeking parental information on the children once they grow up. A little more murky with respect to the parents.

It seems to me that sperm donors who don't want their offspring to find them have a roll here. Don't take consumer DNA tests without restricting use of your data. Duh!
__________________

__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
...
It seems to me that sperm donors who don't want their offspring to find them have a roll here. Don't take consumer DNA tests without restricting use of your data. Duh!

The donor can't avoid it. The DNA test in question located a relative of the donor, not the donor himself. So many people have submitted DNA samples that are now in databases for sale to the highest bidder that a random sample can get close to you, and the noose only gets tighter as more people freely give up their DNA information.


Genetic Databases Could Identify Millions of Americans | Time
"If investigators were presented with a random DNA sample from an American of European ancestry, they could in roughly 60% of cases use consumer genetic databases to find a third cousin or closer blood relative match."
__________________

Spock is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 409
Interesting. I'm one the 23 & me site, I found 3 close relatives that sperm donor children looking for their fathers. (it's be one of my uncles or cousins that donated)
jetpack is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 639
More quotes:
"Narrowing the list of individuals to those within a 100-mile radius would exclude 57% of the possibilities, the study says. Estimating the target’s age, plus or minus five years, would cross off 91% of the remaining pool. And inferring the person’s biological sex would leave only 16 or 17 individuals, the authors estimate — a short enough list, theoretically, to investigate them individually."
100 mile radius: its a local clinic...
Age: a little tougher, but some initial guesses can be made
Estimate biological sex: Duh... sperm donor.
Spock is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,392
Another example, IMO about technology outpacing laws.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.
CaliKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cali
Posts: 871
Next thing you know the mom will be suing the donor for child support. Lol!
__________________
______________________
Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Another example, IMO about technology outpacing laws.

Coming from a more Libertarian perspective, its more about technology out pacing peoples intelligence/critical thinking abilities to anticipate the downsides of finding out if they might be 1/1024th Irish (or whatever). If common sense were more common there wouldn't need to be a law for everything.
Spock is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Coming from a more Libertarian perspective, its more about technology out pacing peoples intelligence/critical thinking abilities to anticipate the downsides of finding out if they might be 1/1024th Irish (or whatever). If common sense were more common there wouldn't need to be a law for everything.
+1.

What is this common sense thing you talk about?
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Calico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
The donor can't avoid it. The DNA test in question located a relative of the donor, not the donor himself. So many people have submitted DNA samples that are now in databases for sale to the highest bidder that a random sample can get close to you, and the noose only gets tighter as more people freely give up their DNA information.


Genetic Databases Could Identify Millions of Americans | Time
"If investigators were presented with a random DNA sample from an American of European ancestry, they could in roughly 60% of cases use consumer genetic databases to find a third cousin or closer blood relative match."
Right. The DNA test identified the child's biological grandmother (the mother of the sperm donor), not the donor directly. The donor expected his anonymity to be protected at the time he donated.

The mother of the child is quoted as saying she thought it would be a "cool" thing to do, to give her child the "gift" of a 23andMe test.

Not such a cool gift when it comes to the privacy of the donor.
__________________
"Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed, Let it be that great strong land of love, Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme, That any man be crushed by one above." - Langston Hughes
Calico is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Right. The DNA test identified the child's biological grandmother (the mother of the sperm donor), not the donor directly. The donor expected his anonymity to be protected at the time he donated.

The mother of the child is quoted as saying she thought it would be a "cool" thing to do, to give her child the "gift" of a 23andMe test.

Not such a cool gift when it comes to the privacy of the donor.
In the world of dna there is no donor privacy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. 20 years ago, I can understand, but today any donor needs to understand they will be identified at some point and be ok with that. They should be counseled as such, but as of 4 years ago weren’t.
tb001 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 7,016
All those anonymous things are (IMHO) stupid and deprive "children" of their biological information.

Most are there due to some shame/secret/comfortableness about sex anyhow, and are not in the offspring best health interest.

Example adopted children - historically it's common that these "children" are not allowed to know the biological parents, so best they can hope for is 20-40 years ago, so rushed social worker asked "any history of heart disease in the family ? "
Not that the biological mother or father (if around) really cares or provides a good answer.
Plus the social worker never asks about the few thousand other genetic disorders possible, that may only show up when the birth mother is 50 or 60 yrs old !

If people are worried about child support or ownership of the child, just fix the law to cover that.
Example: (non-lawyer here).
- You give up your kid for adoption, you give up all rights to that kid.
- You take a sperm donation, you and child give up all rights for any support or interaction with the donor.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Next thing you know the mom will be suing the donor for child support. Lol!
Thats the only motivation this women had. She thought she was going to cash in.

Lesson: Don't donate sperm because you may be paying child support eventually.
Mr. Tightwad is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Teacher Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,369
TW, glad you are staying single because I don’t think you like women. I doubt she wants child support.
Teacher Terry is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 407
Why would she use sperm from an anonymous donor, then seek out information on the donor, then report she is "devastated" at being unsuccessful?

She knew it was anonymous from the start.

Her devastation stems from not getting what she wanted.

And my 2 daughters, current GF, and the women who I have promoted in my career would disagree with your theory. So would the female coaches I hired to coach boys athletics, as well as the girls ( ok, they were age 8-13 so maybe not credible) that I coached in basketball.

Not everyone has good intentions, many just pursue the almighty dollar.
Mr. Tightwad is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,468
I don't think there is sufficient information in the article to draw any firm conclusions one way or the other about her motivations, so why don't we just move on from speculating about that?
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
Moderator
samclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 13,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Example adopted children - historically it's common that these "children" are not allowed to know the biological parents, so best they can hope for is 20-40 years ago, so rushed social worker asked "any history of heart disease in the family ? "
Not that the biological mother or father (if around) really cares or provides a good answer.
Plus the social worker never asks about the few thousand other genetic disorders possible, that may only show up when the birth mother is 50 or 60 yrs old !

If people are worried about child support or ownership of the child, just fix the law to cover that.
Example: (non-lawyer here).
- You give up your kid for adoption, you give up all rights to that kid.
- You take a sperm donation, you and child give up all rights for any support or interaction with the donor.

But am I right that you would be opposed to this stipulation?:
" - I am the biological mother of this child, I am giving up all parental rights, and specifically request that this adoption remain "closed" and my identity not be made known to this child or anyone not identified below: "


There are many reasons a woman might want to do this, and I think it fair to respect her wishes. She can provide medical info if she wants, and we are nearly at the point when the offspring can get better info through genetic testing than would be available through the mom's medical history anyway.
samclem is online now  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 639
not directly related to this post but it does deal with the DNA issue. Military members were required to give a DNA sample. We were told #1, it was mandatory and #2, it was only to be used to identify us in case of battlefield death. OK, I'm retired from active duty now. Can I have my DNA back federal government? Nope. We have it now. Hahaha . Too bad, so sad.
__________________
-Big Dawg-FI since 9/2010. Failed ER in 2015. New target 2020.-

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,492
Interesting that people will go through all sorts of actions to keep their personal data private but will then give away 100,000 years of their most personal history for free.

Our paranoid neighbor even had Google block out the image of his house on StreetView but then bragged how he has sent his DNA to several different outfits.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Oregon Coast
Posts: 15,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Interesting that people will go through all sorts of actions to keep their personal data private but will then give away 100,000 years of their most personal history for free.
Regardless of one's personal feelings about the bounds of privacy, I have seen many folks rail against government and admit that they ask Alexa to turn the lights out.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 11:28 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 7,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But am I right that you would be opposed to this stipulation?:
" - I am the biological mother of this child, I am giving up all parental rights, and specifically request that this adoption remain "closed" and my identity not be made known to this child or anyone not identified below: "


There are many reasons a woman might want to do this, and I think it fair to respect her wishes. She can provide medical info if she wants, and we are nearly at the point when the offspring can get better info through genetic testing than would be available through the mom's medical history anyway.
IF DNA testing could tell us all the medical possibilities of disease, then I'd be totally in agreement with closed adoptions.
Until then, there should be no such thing.

Lots of biological mothers and fathers are not the loving parent people imagine, so they don't won't even bother to give much medical information and certainly NEVER would followup a decade or two later when they develop a hereditary disease to say "oh you should inform my bio-child".

After all the bio-child has rights to their full ancestral medical history, but are denied it, even though it will impact them as much as anyone else in the world.
__________________

__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An ‘expected obliteration’ of financial assets threatens to kill FIRE movement? joeea Young Dreamers 13 01-03-2019 01:28 PM
Good back tester that includes rebalancing hotwired Stock Picking and Market Strategy 6 11-29-2015 11:38 AM
Sue Sue "Club" - have you heard of these? Fireup2020 FIRE and Money 20 08-01-2007 07:56 PM
Vanguards portfolio tester cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 3 05-10-2005 10:04 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.