Split Level Houses - Climbing Stairs

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else here feel like they've ran a marathon when getting to the top of the stairs in your house, assumming you have stairs? My heart goes fast but it's hardly beating out my chest (Yes, I'm the very nervous, sensitive type). I pretty fit too. I do two sessions of 90 min cardio with a another 3 of at least 60 minutes per week.I can do stairs at work with no problem. This must be a getting old issue :p

I've had a complete cardio workup last year and was told that I was very fit.

BTW - sorry for the inane post. I was just wondering if getting old does something to the stair climbing abilities.

cube_rat said:
I was just wondering if getting old does something to the stair climbing abilities.

Seriously, I've lived in both single & multi-level homes during the last 58 years.  Believe it (or not), I did notice a "difference" when we went from the single (like our last home) to multi-level (like our current 2-story).  The reverse was not true (went from a 3-level to 1-level, one time; didn't notice the "reduced effort required").

Since I'm diabetic and use the treadmill for my "daily 4-mile walks", I just think of the extra effort going up/down the stairs help me "manage my condition".

Of course, when I'm old and feeble (no, not today  :D ) I'll just put in one of those "stair lifts" to "deposit me" on the correct level  ::) !

- Ron

We recently went from a 2-story to a 1-story, and here's what I found:

- I miss the exercise of running up and down stairs
+ We don't miss the ocassional stumble down the stairs
+ We don't miss worrying about our toddler tumbling down the stairs
+ Our slightly arthritic dog appreciates the lack of stairs
- We sort of liked it when at least one of the dogs would sleep downstairs and not wake us up at 6am
. Stairs are where all the dust bunnies gathered, so now we have to hunt for them all over the house
. Stairs take up a bunch of space, but they can also offer some nice out-of-the-way storage places

In the end, we prefer the 1-story place.

wab said:
We recently went from a 2-story to a 1-story, and here's what I found:

- I miss the exercise of running up and down stairs

wabby: did you feel like you ran a marathon going up and down those stairs?

cube_rat said:
wabby:  did you feel like you ran a marathon going up and down those stairs?

Only when I was having a panic attack.    Calm down, rat.   You're normal.   Your legs are your biggest muscles [1], so stairs can give you a pretty good workout, but it shouldn't feel any different than going for your cardio workout fully dressed.  :)

[1] Well, in your case, I could be wrong.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom